Potatoes

Tevenie

I am REALLY sorry to ask this because I know it has been asked recently, but I cannot for the life of me find the post. (if someone can point me towards that thread there is no need to answer here)

In the book it says potatoes are not bad but are out as they are considered a 'gateway' to other stuff - chips and fries. Is this correct and does it mean that I can eat potatoes again? I am not and have never been much into either chips or fries, but I would like to have the odd baked potato with salad for supper.

Thanks

Lucinda

Lucinda, the only reason why somebody MAY want to keep them out is that they're a nightshade and some folks with autoimmune stuff just don't tolerate that stuff well. It can cause some flare ups. Most of the problems are in the skins, so peeling them's a good idea, but that's just some food for thought.

And Derval, that's just cause you're Irish!

Thanks, funnily enough I don't eat potatoes much - generally I can live without them no problem. I might buy ten or so potatoes a year. But I suddenly just fancied a hot baked potato. Probably just as a vehicle for the lovely mayo I made today!

I am actually thinking of moving straight into the AI protocol immediately after I have finished the Whole30 so it could be some time until I get that potato!

That's not really true.

A spoonful of sugar (♫ helps the medicine go down...the medicine go dooown ♫) contains 100% sucrose, which is glucose and fructose. It's processed by the body in (basically) the following way:

a) quickly break the bond holding the glucose and fructose together

B) glucose is absorbed and gets dropped into any and every cell that needs it

c) fructose gets shipped off to the liver to be converted into either glucose, then glycogen and stored in the liver, or fat

a white potato is starch, which is a bunch of glucose molecules strung together. Those bonds are the same type of body, but because there are so many of them, it takes longer to break it all down (slower blood sugar spike than sugar). There's no fructose in starch, so you don't have to worry about anything getting shipped off to the liver...instead it just gets circulated to whatever needs it.

I am sensitive to starches (even arrowroot which is tapioca). I havent yet tested white potatoes specifically, I probably will at some stage but from what I have heard, sweet potatoes are a better choice (more vitamins and minerals? less starch? slower to digest?) Hopefully Renee can answer this. So I guess my question/comment is.... if you are happy to have sweet potatoes instead and dont really miss white potatoes, then would it be better to have sweet potatoes? Or doesnt it really matter unless you are nightshade sensitive. I take it sweet potatoes arent nightshades then....

It doesn't really matter. If you don't miss 'em, keep them out. I never liked white potatoes, but a twice baked potato, loaded with sour cream, cheddar cheese and bacon? sign me up. I'll have one of those, maybe once a year? It's not enough to add it into the regular rotation, but it's there every now and then.

As far as nutrients, sweet potatoes have beta-carotene and all that good stuff that you find in other orange foods, BUT Mat Lalonde, Harvard smart guy, put together a nutrient density spreadsheet last August, and white potatoes actually performed BETTER than sweet potatoes for minerals and vitamins (not vitamin A, obviously. Orange food's got that one in the bag). His values were NOT adjusted for bioavailability, so we don't actually know what it means besides, "don't write white potatoes off long term"

And Juzbo, I know that sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic index than white potatoes (meaning it's digested slower), but I don't know why.

Thanks Renee, thats great... I will investigate further re the glycaemic index, often its not important unless you eat the food alone. At the moment I have converted all the family to sweet potatoes as they are cheaper than white just now but good to know I can go back the other way when the price switches again most likely....

Just googled and found out that sweet potatoes and white potatoes have the same starch content raw but sweet potato starch content halves when cooked - probably because of the conversion of some of the starch to sugar (thinking of what happens when you bake them and a sugary syrup oozes out). Also interesting to note that the starch content of carrots and pumpkins is still really low despite them being a good source of carbs. I guess this is only helpful if the starch is tolerated less than sugar... which it might be for some people depending on the type and amount of resistant starch...aaargh its all too hard... but convinces me even more to stay away from grain based starches and stick to vegetable ones only.

Archived