Shirataki noodles?

(m)eat to live

My friend bought some of these shirataki noodles, "yam noodles" as she calls them. They supposedly make a good subsitute for spaghetti. I don't crave pasta and have lived happily without it since my first Whole30 in September. That being said, my husband makes an incredible meat sauce loaded with veggies. My oldest kid is quite picky, but he LOVES this sauce, so we have it a lot. It's really the only way he'll eat mushrooms, peppers, and onions. I've been doing spaghetti squash and zucchini noodles, but I'm wondering about these noodles to mix it up a bit. The sauce is pretty hearty and squash doesn't make quite the vehicle for mouth-delivery that big fat noodles do.

Anyone heard of these noodles? Are they Whole30 safe? Any concerns with them?

just adding that though these are technically okay, they don't come from regular sweet potatoes or yams. they come from a different species of japanese sweet potato that's a) generally not eaten and B) can cause some gut irritation/problems.

They're fine, but 1) we don't recommend them and 2) if you have gut issues (or AI issues) already, you may want to leave 'em out

Anyone with colitis should avoid these. Anyone without any gut problems should still firmly to the suggested serving sizes. They also come with serious whiplash, so don't wear your favourite shirt ;)

Zoodles (zucchini noodles) are a great alternative and have real nutrition. NomNomPaleo has good instructions on making them.

Archived