Any suggestions for foods to help raise HDL? I know eggs, avocado, and I have heard cocoa has the effect also. Other ideas?

Husband is Type-2 diabetic. His doctor insists he needs to keep his cholesterol down, so prescribes Lipitor. Lipitor destroys his HDL, so doctor prescribes Niaspan. Niaspan RAISES HIS BLOOD SUGAR, so doctor prescribes Metformin. And now he wants to increase the dosage of the Niaspan, right when my husband's blood sugar has elevated past a controlled level. Ugh. ENOUGH of this!

I want the meds gone, starting with the Niaspan. So again, any suggestions for raising HDL through good dietary choices? Thanks so much!

• Moderators

I got tired of my old doctor insisting on things I had become suspicious were not good for me and found a new doctor. I no longer take Lipitor or any statins. I do take a cholesterol lowering medication that I am not absolutely sure I need, but it is less offensive than statins. What I am taking doesn't particularly matter to this conversation. I mention it only so you know there are alternatives.

Flynn, I am adding salmon to my list. Sweetened chocolate won't work as he is diabetic, but cocoa (in chili, e.g.) may.

Until recently, I would say that my husband has been too comfortable with pharmaceuticals. I don't think it occurred to him not to be. No one (especially not his doctor) challenged that approach or offered any alternative. But now he is married to me, and I have annoying tendencies. :lol: I do not think a drug that requires more drugs to treat the side effects of the first one sounds like a good idea. And I also think (in many cases) drugs are just a way to play mouth service to the notion of improving our health while maintaining bad behaviors that we just don't want to change.

Let me tell you, I went to the same doctor for a time. And whenever he said, "Oh, xyz is not at the optimal level. I'm going to write you a prescription for blah blah blah," my response was, "Write whatever you want, but I'm not taking it. What else can I do?" And he would happily discuss lifestyle changes. So, before I ask husband to change doctors, I want him to challenge himself and the doctor. I want him to state that he does not prefer a pharmaceutical approach and that he is willing to make the lifestyle changes and expects his doctor to support that.

But, yes. Should he not receive that support, we need to find a new doctor. Pronto. Thanks for your thoughtful responses.

Archived