pandagirl

Not tried the stuff yet, but I'm curious. It seems to be made of some kind of vegetable fibre called Moyu.

Ingredients are water, Moyu, and calcium hydroxide.

I think the point of it is to make you feel full on few calories....I guess for Whole30 purposes it would fit with being a kind of "junk imitation food" and therefore would be out.

I'm not really down with "diet foods" in general but it did grab my attention, being gluten and grain free and ostensibly not made from anything rubbish.

• Moderators

I appreciate that you are just asking a question, but I am afraid my need to rant has just overwhelmed me. :)

No. No. No. Crap like this is the opposite of what we are asking your to eat during a Whole30.

Feeling full on fewer calories is a lie the diet marketers scam you with. One reason the Whole30 works is that you eat real food that offers serious nourishment. Eating crap to fill yourself up does not nourish your body and sets you up to crave and binge. No one who wants to be free and healthy can afford to eat crap like "Slim Rice."

If you want rice, why not cauliflower "rice"? (Grated cauliflower, sauteed in a bit of coconut oil, with salt, pepper, and some cilantro. Much better for you and I guarantee more tasty than that stuff you're talking about. :-)

Feeling full on fewer calories is a lie the diet marketers scam you with. One reason the Whole30 works is that you eat real food that offers serious nourishment. Eating crap to fill yourself up does not nourish your body and sets you up to crave and binge. No one who wants to be free and healthy can afford to eat crap like "Slim Rice."

I figured as much. I did struggle to see the point of it, and I definitely wasn't sure about the whole "eaten in Asia for centuries" claim....not sure where in Asia, having spent a lot of time in South East Asia and Japan and travelled in China, and never seen anything like it. They ate, shock horror, real rice. :blink: and I rarely saw anyone overweight, let alone obese.

I just kinda wondered if anyone here had heard of it. Seems new over here (UK).

I've heard of the cauliflower rice thing, unfortunately it's one of those veggies that has a really bad effect on me (Crohns) so I have to pass on that one, though it does sound nice.

I figured as much. I did struggle to see the point of it, and I definitely wasn't sure about the whole "eaten in Asia for centuries" claim....not sure where in Asia, having spent a lot of time in South East Asia and Japan and travelled in China, and never seen anything like it. They ate, shock horror, real rice. and I rarely saw anyone overweight, let alone obese.

I read an interesting article on Asia and rice. It may have been on Mark's Daily Apple. Basically it said it is the lack of processed American type foods that have kept Asians slim and healthy. Sadly, as the previous generations disappear, our nasty processed foods are creeping over there and becoming more widely accepted.

Sadly, the people eating this as a slimming food in asia, often have it with sugary meats (asian "BBQ" made with hoisin) and vegetables on top. If you see the meals prepared with it for "slimming", they are much closer to a starvation eating disorder than health food. If you've ever seen Iron Chef, most of the actresses/models on it will eat it as a staple food.

It's low calorie, but not full of nutrients. It's the same thing that's in slim pasta and miracle noodles. I've never tried the rice version, but it's not particularly rice-like (it's kind of "bouncy"). Konjac is the asian name for the vegetable, but it has many names. Not all konjac products are low in sugar either.

Some sources of these products contain wheat or soy, unless the package is in English, it may not be what you think it is, some even have different ingredients than those listed on the packet. For those who have extreme allergies, these often fail the "starch iodine test", when the ingredients indicate that they will not.

You can make zucchini noodles and cauliflower rice, both of which have more nutrition :)

I was sick for a week after trying slim pasta... Not surprising really... Something so high in fibre and so low in nutrients/calories is simply not digestible and bound to irritate sensitive guts. I see sweet potato noodles in Asian groceries but again they are made from the refined starch so not healthy... Just cheap and filling if you are broke and starving...

Archived