February 2013 Starters

Kate File

Day 25 is drawing to an end. I was concerned about not experiencing the increase in energy that others have had. I've been working on improving my sleep habits. Three or four hours of sleep per night is not enough. Four nights ago I started turning off blue light technology(TV) an hour before a SET bedtime. I'm finally getting seven to eight hours of sleep each night. (I know. I know. I did read it in ISTF, but it took a while for me to deal with that terrible TV habit.). Even though I still awaken two or three times a night, I go right back to sleep. Yesterday I noticed this new supply of energy. Today it's back and even stronger! I've felt better today than I have for months. If it's the sleep, I'm good to go. My W30 meal planning is getting easier and my pants continue to get looser. My exercise plan is in place. Since I still have work to do in other areas and wish to strengthen what I've learned, I will move on to a W60.

Have a great tomorrow, all!

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 25 is drawing to an end. I was concerned about not experiencing the increase in energy that others have had. I've been working on improving my sleep habits. Three or four hours of sleep per night is not enough. Four nights ago I started turning off blue light technology(TV) an hour before a SET bedtime. I'm finally getting seven to eight hours of sleep each night. (I know. I know. I did read it in ISTF, but it took a while for me to deal with that terrible TV habit.). Even though I still awaken two or three times a night, I go right back to sleep. Yesterday I noticed this new supply of energy. Today it's back and even stronger! I've felt better today than I have for months. If it's the sleep, I'm good to go. My W30 meal planning is getting easier and my pants continue to get looser. My exercise plan is in place. Since I still have work to do in other areas and wish to strengthen what I've learned, I will move on to a W60.

Have a great tomorrow, all!

It's good to,know the energy increase is still to come. I've just finished day 14 and feel so sluggish. Sleep is always an issue in our house but I do the best I can.

Day 23 in the bag. Thanks to all the uplifting notes on day 21, whew, glad that is over & I didn't cave! Last night we had an egg, sausage, vegi's bake that was great. Even got to have it again for breakfast. Tonight hubby made a meatloaf from one of the websites he has been stalking. That with the BBQ sauce and sweet potato hash filled me up. My workouts the last couple of days have been intense, but I am feeling good about them! Learned that Chipoltle restaurant (kinda fast food) can provide a whole30 meal. Helped a lot because I was out today and was suddenly starving!

Everyone, keep up the good work!

hi my name is Phil and i started on the 20th. I have nver attempted a Paleo diet for 30 days before but i have done a 30 day juice feast which was hard but very rewarding so i will apply the same principals here just get it clear in my mind what i will not eat and everytime i am going to put anything in my mouth ask my self is that an allowable food. I went to a health retreat 6 years ago in Australia called living valley springs and i was shocked at the amount of saturated fat. Having read "It starts with food", I am begining to understand ther are good saturated fats and bad saturated fats. I couldn't stick to the LVS DIET but when i think about the examples they gave me over the 20 days i was there i see a lot of correlation between the paleo diet and theirs. They were against seafood because of the mercury poisoning so prevalent in hi end food chin fish like tun and salmon. I have been so hung up with saturated fats because 10 years ago i weighed 145kg(320lbs) i am 6'3" (187cm) and i got down to 85kg (187 lbs) i maintained that weight until 3 years ago when i decided that i would incorporate juicing into my diet and have done that for 3 years off an on and when i was off i was really off eating junk food etc. I am presently at 115 kg (230lbs) but i believe what they are saying in the book and it makes sense and seems like the final progressiion in my 10 year health journey.

I have had an allergies test done on 50 common foods and being on the paleo diet and also trying to avoid my allergies is going to be a little harder. The alergy test classified mine in to 3 catergories strong positive, positive and mild. SPositive was yeast so that should not be a worry, Poaitive is whole eggs and brazil nuts now eggs are a worry as they seem to be in every 2nd Paleo recipe. Mild was Almonds, Soy, shellfish, peppers and mushrooms. I have ignored the allergic response i had to dairy and some nuts(except brazil nuts and soy as the where big in my old diet). My attitude here is Paleo trumps allergies and i will reintroduce eggs after the 30 day paleo diet and listen to my body.

Any comments would be great so I am on day 4 of the paleo diet. I live in Australia (Tasmania) and i will check in an give you guys an update. Tasmania has a population of around 500,000 people and imangine my surprise to find a Cafe that serves a paleo diet in Perth pop 2250 only one or two meals each day the rest of the meals are for the passing traffic which is mostly a western diet clientel. But they sneak there good quality meats, organic vegies, dairy and grains in.

ok good making this comment cheers Phil i posted this response in another thread but the more the merrier :)

I'm starting today, February 24th. Go, me!

My first pleasant surprise is that I really, really, reeeeally like coffee with a splash of Trader Joe's canned lite coconut milk.

My first not-so-pleasant surprise is that I double-checked the ingredients in some of my favorite teas, and they contain Stevia leaf. Darn it! We have plenty of delicious non-sweetened teas in the house, but still. Darn it.

My projects for today are to hunt down a bottle of Red Boat Fish Sauce somewhere in my city, and to cook up a bunch of good stuff for the coming week. I'm really excited to see how the Sindhi Beef Curry from Sunil Vijayakar's "150 Best Indian, Thai, Vietnamese & More Slow Cooker Recipes" turns out.

Good luck to me, and to you, and to the whole world in general.

Day 1 of the Whole30! I've been eating paleo for a while now, just found out about the Whole30 and thought I'd use it to clean up my diet even more. I think I know what I should and shouldn't eat, but please chime in if I've done wrong, or there is a better alternative.

Breakfast:

Eggs

Sweet potatoes

Black coffee with a little organic pasture based butter

hi my name is Phil and i started on the 20th. I have nver attempted a Paleo diet for 30 days before but i have done a 30 day juice feast which was hard but very rewarding so i will apply the same principals here just get it clear in my mind what i will not eat and everytime i am going to put anything in my mouth ask my self is that an allowable food. I went to a health retreat 6 years ago in Australia called living valley springs and i was shocked at the amount of saturated fat. Having read "It starts with food", I am begining to understand ther are good saturated fats and bad saturated fats. I couldn't stick to the LVS DIET but when i think about the examples they gave me over the 20 days i was there i see a lot of correlation between the paleo diet and theirs. They were against seafood because of the mercury poisoning so prevalent in hi end food chin fish like tun and salmon. I have been so hung up with saturated fats because 10 years ago i weighed 145kg(320lbs) i am 6'3" (187cm) and i got down to 85kg (187 lbs) i maintained that weight until 3 years ago when i decided that i would incorporate juicing into my diet and have done that for 3 years off an on and when i was off i was really off eating junk food etc. I am presently at 115 kg (230lbs) but i believe what they are saying in the book and it makes sense and seems like the final progressiion in my 10 year health journey.

I have had an allergies test done on 50 common foods and being on the paleo diet and also trying to avoid my allergies is going to be a little harder. The alergy test classified mine in to 3 catergories strong positive, positive and mild. SPositive was yeast so that should not be a worry, Poaitive is whole eggs and brazil nuts now eggs are a worry as they seem to be in every 2nd Paleo recipe. Mild was Almonds, Soy, shellfish, peppers and mushrooms. I have ignored the allergic response i had to dairy and some nuts(except brazil nuts and soy as the where big in my old diet). My attitude here is Paleo trumps allergies and i will reintroduce eggs after the 30 day paleo diet and listen to my body.

Any comments would be great so I am on day 4 of the paleo diet. I live in Australia (Tasmania) and i will check in an give you guys an update. Tasmania has a population of around 500,000 people and imangine my surprise to find a Cafe that serves a paleo diet in Perth pop 2250 only one or two meals each day the rest of the meals are for the passing traffic which is mostly a western diet clientel. But they sneak there good quality meats, organic vegies, dairy and grains in.

ok good making this comment cheers Phil i posted this response in another thread but the more the merrier :)

Phil, I have an egg and coconut allergy too. Don't worry, eggs are a great option, but if you can't have them there are tons of other things you can eat. For breakfast I make my own sausage with grass fed beef and seasonings, sweet potato hashbrowns, and a veggie like baked broccoli or kale. I also do left overs in the morning if I don't feel like cooking. There are sooooo many foods that are great for the whole30. I don't worry about what I can't have, I just focus on what I can have because there are so many fruits and veggies and herbs and seasonings I can make meals from. I never get bored! Good luck! You're going to do great and it will change your life!

I'm finding my second Whole 30 quite easy but there is one problem. I am still looking at it as 30 days and as I watch my family eat some of my favourite foods without me, I am thinking how much I am going to enjoy them next week.

I am definitely concerned about reintroduction!

HI all! Just wanted to drop a note and introduce myself as a "Feb starter," even though it's late. Today I finished day #2. I've been all over the place with diet (primarialy vegan and vegetarian for a few years now), but my best health was when I followed a modified paleo diet. I've had some SERIOUS issues with bloating, and inablity to lose weight (that lousy 10 that comes and goes), and I'm no where near as lean/conditioned as I was a while ago- I blame the vegan/veg diet. So here I go... while I truly feel bad about the feelings I have surrounding eating meat... I have to think of survival and try to block it out. Glad to see I have people here to support me on this journey, I wish us all much success! (The wine/margaritas are the hardest part for me to give up.... especially being a social butterfly). I keep saying, "it's only 30 days, It's only 30 days. Today I can now say, Only 27 more... only 27 more, haha)!

Have a good nite!

J

Day 1 of the Whole30! I've been eating paleo for a while now, just found out about the Whole30 and thought I'd use it to clean up my diet even more. I think I know what I should and shouldn't eat, but please chime in if I've done wrong, or there is a better alternative.

Breakfast:

Eggs

Sweet potatoes

Black coffee with a little organic pasture based butter

Breakfast looks like a good start but that doesn't sound like enough, You need to add some more food in there! Peppers and onions in your eggs, or a big side of sauteed spinach and kale, or baked broccoli and garlic. Yummy! Make sure you're following the meal templates. 1 to 2 palm sizes of protein, at least a thumbs worth of fat, 2 handfuls of veggies, and you're allowed a fist full of fruit or nuts. One thing I have learned on my 30, is to eat more! More good food = more good feelings

Not sure about the butter either, You're allowed clarified butter or ghee, but not regular butter even if it's organic and pastured, from my understanding.

Day 22 done. Could have broken down and cracked due to tiredness after long work days however sucked it up and went and worked out.

Sometimes my will power muscle gets tired after a long day at work around food and on my feed. No cravings, skin looks amazing, very happy with program thus far.

Stay focussed everybody:)

Woke up today in Day 27 and made it through both parties on Saturday unscathed. There wasn't much for me to eat at the baby shower so I just ate what I could and drank lots of water until I got home and made some egg salad to hold me until the birthday party was done. The fiance partook of the food and had gas and bloating all night. Hmmm. He wasn't convinced before. Now I think I may have him more on board. He isn't doing the W30 with me but we are eating the same foods, until Saturday afternoon that is.

I was a bit disheartened to find out the cashews and almonds we have been enjoying have seed oils. My brain actually was telling me to just give in already and start a new W30 on March 1st. I told my brain to shut the hell up. I have already decided to go right into March and do another 30 days and actually cut those out yesterday. So, I have'nt been 100% compliant. But I'll take 99%. Didn't eat that many anyway. I wonder if that is why my digestion is still screwed up...This past 26 days has made me realize that I really can live and function perfectly fine without sugar, dairy, wheat and legumes. Sugar is not welcome back. I'm not even sure if "paleo-fied" foods are welcome back. I will do the re-introduction the end of March and see what happens. Not sure I'm willing to suffer because of the food on my plate. But, I guess, it's the only way to truly know for sure.

Is anybody else besides me and Mamaw 23 doing another 30 days?

Just roasted a spaghetti squash for our chocolate chili tonight. Love, love, love my crockpot...

Day 21 w/ 21 workouts. Well, "active recovery" actually this morning. after 20 days of running and cycling I thought it prudent to rest my legs. So it was core and some light weights just for fun and to keep moving.

Anyway, my 3rd weekend was by far my easiest! I made, and really enjoyed, the chocolate chilli. Also some organic, natural bacon. $21 a lb but WOW, what flavor and it was real treat.

Can honestly say I don't crave anything. The one thing I miss is cheese. Like, real cheese. We frequent a fromage and there happened to be a cheese vendor at the framers market. Not tempted per se, but it something I will enjoy eating again. In moderation of course.

Otherwise, dare I say it's become routine? I can really see this becoming a lifestyle. I see dairy in my future but not sugar, and very little grains. if I never eat pasta again I wouldn't miss it.

Finally, I'd say 9 days to go but since it's going well and "ends" on a wednesday I'm going to extend it to friday when I'll likely celebrate with a glass of wine. And maybe some cheese :D

I MADE IT THROUGH MY FIRST WEEKEND!!! :D

I cannot even begin to describe to you how happy and proud I am of that fact. Never, in my life, have I ever made it through a weekend with no cheats. No matter what "diet" or healthy eating plan I may be following, I have never had the will power to do it. I turned down drinking alcohol, even though I was around friends who were drinking.. I sipped my water. I turned down pizza even thought it is my absolute favorite food. I turned down Cherry Coke and popcorn even though my husband was eating and drinking it right next to me in the movie theater. I even ordered a chicken breast, steamed veggies and fresh fruit when we went out to dinner. I have finally found my will power!!

I am on Day 8 and feel fantastic!! I sleep great, I have so much energy through the day, and I'm able to power through my WOD's much easier than I anticipated. (I JUST got back into CrossFit and was a little nervous.) The Whole30 is already changing my life. If this continues to get easier with each day, I can definitely see this becoming my lifestyle!

23 more days to go here (counting today). Keep pushing through everybody! We've got this! :D

I MADE IT THROUGH MY FIRST WEEKEND!!! :D

I cannot even begin to describe to you how happy and proud I am of that fact. Never, in my life, have I ever made it through a weekend with no cheats. No matter what "diet" or healthy eating plan I may be following, I have never had the will power to do it. I turned down drinking alcohol, even though I was around friends who were drinking.. I sipped my water. I turned down pizza even thought it is my absolute favorite food. I turned down Cherry Coke and popcorn even though my husband was eating and drinking it right next to me in the movie theater. I even ordered a chicken breast, steamed veggies and fresh fruit when we went out to dinner. I have finally found my will power!!

I am on Day 8 and feel fantastic!! I sleep great, I have so much energy through the day, and I'm able to power through my WOD's much easier than I anticipated. (I JUST got back into CrossFit and was a little nervous.) The Whole30 is already changing my life. If this continues to get easier with each day, I can definitely see this becoming my lifestyle!

23 more days to go here (counting today). Keep pushing through everybody! We've got this! :D

WAY TO GO Ashley!... you are a ROCK STAR!!

I'm starting today, February 24th. Go, me!

My first pleasant surprise is that I really, really, reeeeally like coffee with a splash of Trader Joe's canned lite coconut milk.

My first not-so-pleasant surprise is that I double-checked the ingredients in some of my favorite teas, and they contain Stevia leaf. Darn it! We have plenty of delicious non-sweetened teas in the house, but still. Darn it.

My projects for today are to hunt down a bottle of Red Boat Fish Sauce somewhere in my city, and to cook up a bunch of good stuff for the coming week. I'm really excited to see how the Sindhi Beef Curry from Sunil Vijayakar's "150 Best Indian, Thai, Vietnamese & More Slow Cooker Recipes" turns out.

Good luck to me, and to you, and to the whole world in general.

Check your tea for soy lecthin as well...that stuff is in many flavored teas.

Day 25!!

FOOD

We had some yummy Whole30 Compliant food this weekend. We had an egg bake with lots of vegi's and a spicy meat. Pat made a meatloaf and his own BBQ sauce, sweet potato hashbrowns and last night we had chicken with vegi's and avocado.

THOUGHTS & EMOTIONS

(***warning guys, this is about very little Whole30 & potentially TMI female stuff***)

Just a little background - I am 31 days shy of 50 and have truly loved using Depo-Provera. For me it was basically no periods, which has been awesome for the level of activity and the unusual locations I sometime land. I am praying for menopause, not Niagara Falls!

So I had a meltdown on day 21. I now believe that it was PMS. And let me tell you, from one who has been using the quarterly shot, Depo Provera, for quite some time with no issues AND NO TOM, I was not ready for the last 5+ days. Moody, blues, not hungry at all AND HORRIFIC flow. Horrific is probably not even really adequate. Let's just say I worked from home today and still was running to check on things every 30 minutes. UGH!!! I have been out reading the Whole9Life Ladies Only forum. Seems like many women experience changes in their cycles, but, this is just ridiculous. How much can really be there to have this ghastly flow last this long? Really? I mean how many days can I work from home without providing some type of explanation to my MALE boss? He is a good guy, but I just hate having to discuss this stuff. I guess I just have to wait this out, but if anyone has any ideas, I am open to suggestions.

EXTENTION??

I know for sure that my husband and I are going to work hard to keep sugar out. He does want to do some re-introduction, so I will probably check out how my body reacts. Plus it is his birthday on what would be day 31. However, I believe that I have learned that there are quite a few things I can live without (never, ever thought I could say that about pasta and grains in general). Where I will be testing is some dairy (good cheese and occasional glass of milk) and wine.

5'ish days to go for this round!

Day 25!!

FOOD

We had some yummy Whole30 Compliant food this weekend. We had an egg bake with lots of vegi's and a spicy meat. Pat made a meatloaf and his own BBQ sauce, sweet potato hashbrowns and last night we had chicken with vegi's and avocado.

THOUGHTS & EMOTIONS

(***warning guys, this is about very little Whole30 & potentially TMI female stuff***)

Just a little background - I am 31 days shy of 50 and have truly loved using Depo-Provera. For me it was basically no periods, which has been awesome for the level of activity and the unusual locations I sometime land. I am praying for menopause, not Niagara Falls!

So I had a meltdown on day 21. I now believe that it was PMS. And let me tell you, from one who has been using the quarterly shot, Depo Provera, for quite some time with no issues AND NO TOM, I was not ready for the last 5+ days. Moody, blues, not hungry at all AND HORRIFIC flow. Horrific is probably not even really adequate. Let's just say I worked from home today and still was running to check on things every 30 minutes. UGH!!! I have been out reading the Whole9Life Ladies Only forum. Seems like many women experience changes in their cycles, but, this is just ridiculous. How much can really be there to have this ghastly flow last this long? Really? I mean how many days can I work from home without providing some type of explanation to my MALE boss? He is a good guy, but I just hate having to discuss this stuff. I guess I just have to wait this out, but if anyone has any ideas, I am open to suggestions.

EXTENTION??

I know for sure that my husband and I are going to work hard to keep sugar out. He does want to do some re-introduction, so I will probably check out how my body reacts. Plus it is his birthday on what would be day 31. However, I believe that I have learned that there are quite a few things I can live without (never, ever thought I could say that about pasta and grains in general). Where I will be testing is some dairy (good cheese and occasional glass of milk) and wine.

5'ish days to go for this round!

OMG... they NEVER EVER discussed menopause in that "growing up and liking it" class we took in 5th grade... seriously... i finally went my 365 w/o a TOM and i am 51... but those last few before i was done was ridiculous... i was wishing that Brawny made tampons.. because seriously you need a whole roll and a broom stick... i'm just sayin... they could have given us a heads up that we would be spending several years not wearing white pants for fear of IF / WHEN/ and please NOT NOW!!

good luck hang in there... when it's over it is SOOOOOO NICE!!

Day 15 today for us. I have felt like the last few days have been a little weird - not great sleep for either of us, a little moodiness today for me, and I have been a little bloated and gassy over the last few days. Hoping this phase passes - not sure if it is just the regular addition of a lot of veggies, or is there is something else that is triggering it.

This weekend we made several new items - some mayo, the ranch dressing, bone broth, and a mango avocado salsa for mahi-mahi. Cooking is a lot more fun than it was before. :-)

My sister also started the Whole 30 last Monday, which has been super fun! We are swapping recipes and experiences! Exciting!

Goal for this week is to regularly get in my exercise. As a teacher, I have really skimped on working out over the last year, and I am finally coming home with the energy to get things done. The best thing so far has been waking up with energy and not feeling like I just want to sleep all day! Here's to week # 3!

Day 22 w/ 22 workouts. On cruise control both with eating and working out.

My wife has been extremely helpful, going to ths grocery store almost daily to keep fresh veggies available. Last night she par bolied asparugus and yellow carrtos (that we got from the farmers market) then tossed them in olive oil and S&P. Yellow carrots?!?! who knew? Also was roasting sweet potatoes. Three great sides to go with a left over roasted chicken! easy peasy - mostly for me anyway ;)

Then, I browned some ground pork with peppers and onions to use as my morning protien. That, 2 fried eggs and some of those raosted sweet potatoes have become my go to b'fast. Which my wife also makes. Yes, she is awesome!

Point being, with a supportive spouse and some planning ahead W30 is a piece of cake - pun intended.

If you're not in a groove yet, stay the course. It will come!

Day 22 w/ 22 workouts. On cruise control both with eating and working out.

My wife has been extremely helpful, going to ths grocery store almost daily to keep fresh veggies available. Last night she par bolied asparugus and yellow carrtos (that we got from the farmers market) then tossed them in olive oil and S&P. Yellow carrots?!?! who knew? Also was roasting sweet potatoes. Three great sides to go with a left over roasted chicken! easy peasy - mostly for me anyway ;)

Then, I browned some ground pork with peppers and onions to use as my morning protien. That, 2 fried eggs and some of those raosted sweet potatoes have become my go to b'fast. Which my wife also makes. Yes, she is awesome!

Point being, with a supportive spouse and some planning ahead W30 is a piece of cake - pun intended.

If you're not in a groove yet, stay the course. It will come!

Lol! My husband brings home ice cream, potato chips and chocolate!! I make dinner and he eats out on his way home because my food "scares" him, I keep telling him, it's the same food, just no rice or cheese or pasta. Oh well, he'll come around when he is ready.

Lol! My husband brings home ice cream, potato chips and chocolate!! I make dinner and he eats out on his way home because my food "scares" him, I keep telling him, it's the same food, just no rice or cheese or pasta. Oh well, he'll come around when he is ready.

I give you credit, that would be difficult.

My great equalizer is my teenage son. All he eats is hamburgers, chicken wings and pizza. Now he's driving so he's compeled to get it himself and bring it home. Least he could do is eat it there :rolleyes:

Haha, my husband is almost the exact same, only he'll eat "my food" too! The other day I had to yell out of him to stay out of my snacks. He has bagels and potato chips and every other junk food that I could possibly crave and then wants to eat up my veggies and nuts too! lol

Archived