Commitment = Success!!

jmarnold30

On December 29th, before I actually committed to doing a Whole 30, I posted my resolutions on my blog. Some of those resolutions fit very well into the factors we were asked to focus on during the Whole 30. I know the worksheet said to only choose about three, but I had already committed to my own nine goals, which corresponded to four of the factors and I did add one of my own. So here goes:

FACTOR/GOAL

Prayer/Meditation/I will engage in at least 30 minutes of prayer/meditation daily.

Sleep/I will sleep at least 8 hours each night.

Nutrition/I will eat three meals a day.

Health/I will get my insulin resistance under control and I will get off at least two medications this year.

Exercise/I will find some type of exercise program that works with my physical limitations.

Personal Growth/I will update my blog DAILY. I will focus on the positive in my life. I will not procrastinate.

So how did I do? Well…drumroll, please!!! My goal to get my insulin resistance under control and get off of two medications in year 2013 only took ONE MONTH, 28 days to be exact, thanks to Whole30. By day 4, I was off fast acting insulin (Humalog) and for the last two days of my Whole 30 I did not use any long lasting Insulin (Lantus). So, this insulin dependent diabetic is no longer insulin dependent. Also, I am on an Ace inhibitor to protect my kidneys that is part blood pressure/part fluid pill. As a result of changing my eating habits, I had to also cut my dose in half. I am still experiencing bouts of low blood pressure so I may be losing that one as well!

With respect to my other goals, I was successful in meeting all of them most of the time. Only two days did I not eat three meals a day. This by far, was the most challenging of my goals. Before Whole30 (even though I have been mostly paleo for the last two or so years), I never ate breakfast…never! I rarely stopped working to eat lunch so I was basically eating one meal a day and some type of treat (paleo or non-paleo) after dinner. Who knew that would make such a difference in my health?? I was also about 90% successful in Sleep and Personal Growth. I didn't always get 8 hours and though I logged daily, a few times, I did not get it posted timely to my blog.

With respect to my other goals, I was 100% successful in prayer/meditation and exercise. I am easing into exercise due to my injuries. Also, I am signing up for a membership to a local community center that offers water aerobics so I definitely will continue to improve in that aspect.

These are all Resolutions that I plan to continue through the end of the year. 2013 is when I become a new me!!

I did do a 21 DSD for the first 21 days of my Whole 30. I know that the programs were not meant to be done together, but I really wanted to get my insulin resistance under control and I felt by double teaming myself (HA), I had a better chance of success. I felt like both were important because if I did Whole 30, I knew I wouldn't paleofy desserts/pancakes, etc. and I'd learn about my relationship with food and/or the lack thereof and if I did 21 DSD, I would limit my intake of fruits (which for me was important in changing my insulin resistance).

In the beginning, I was continuously thinking about the first thing I would add back once I was done (oh, did I mention I also gave up my two cup a day coffee (with splenda and heavy cream) habit during my Whole 30). With the exception of two failed attempts at drinking hot tea (with no sweetener or cream, ughhh), I drank only water. Sparkling water on two occasions when we went out. I had visions of coffee with my beloved heavy cream, eating chips and salsa again and diving into a big ole margarita. This last week, I have been more focused on what I will not add back. I will not go back to drinking coffee and there are no margaritas or chips in my future either. At this very moment, I am not going to add back any kind of sweetener (honey or otherwise) either. At least not until I have at least three months of good readings on my glucose meter and reach my goal weight.

Oh yeah…my weight!! Down 17.1 pounds! Down 24.5 of inches! Down 6 inches in my abdomen (waist area) and 4 inches in my belly (navel area)! For the first time since the birth of my first child 22 years ago, when I look down, my chest pokes out further than my upper belly!! Yes indeed!!

So, to reward myself, I am doing a Whole 60 and maybe beyond. Then I am cutting my hair and I might even color it! Oh and I am moving into a new house this weekend! Yes, I did a Whole30 while in the process of buying a new house!! It has a nice big kitchen where I can continue to create delicious Whole30 compliant meals!

One final note...I've been toying with a Whole30 for a little over two years, but I wasn't willing to fully commit. How silly!!! Its like going to dentist, you work up in your head how bad it will be and you psyche yourself out and then when its done, you think...that wasn't so bad. So, if you have been toying with the idea...just do it. Your head tells you it is so much worse that it actually is. What is really is, is life changing!

That's awesome! So what is a DSD? I have PCOS with insulin resistance and feel like we need to tweak a bit when we start our Whole 90 in mid Feb. I only lost 7 pounds on the first Whole 30. Was the only tweak just limiting your fruit intake?

It is called 21 Day Sugar Detox. I only followed it within the guidelines of Whole30. My Whole30 came first so in essence, it was that simple. I did not have sweet potatoes and the only fruit I ate for the first 21 days was green apples and green tipped bananas. I did it because I was afraid I would turn to fruit to get my sweet fix :)

Thank you all for the comments. The support on these boards have been awesome! Wishing everyone well in their own Whole30s!

It is called 21 Day Sugar Detox. I only followed it within the guidelines of Whole30. My Whole30 came first so in essence, it was that simple. I did not have sweet potatoes and the only fruit I ate for the first 21 days was green apples and green tipped bananas. I did it because I was afraid I would turn to fruit to get my sweet fix :)

Thank you all for the comments. The support on these boards have been awesome! Wishing everyone well in their own Whole30s!

We didn't do much fruit but did sweet potatoes almost every day. Generally we had green apple or blueberries. We'll take a shot at cutting the sweet potatoes and berries for our next Whole 30 and see if that helps. more rutabagas, turnips and parsnips. :)

Thanks for the info!

I did it because I was afraid I would turn to fruit to get my sweet fix :)

I know what you mean. I have done a different sugar detox that only allowed green bananas and apples and I was so glad to have fruit allowed on this one. Sure enough, on like day 3 I bought some green grapes... and ate the whole bag in a sitting. Now that was clearly some emotional sugar eating. So since then I've been very light on the fruit.

Archived