Melbourne, Australia Post-Whole30

praxisproject

I completed my Whole30 in January 2013, 100% compliant (yay me!): http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5255-melbourne-australia-goes-whole30/

So as not to confuse anyone doing Whole30, I'll only update this log now.

I'm reintroducing both sugar and dairy today. I am fairly confident I won't have any big reactions to sugar, hence the double up. Sugar does spike my blood sugar so I always keep an eye on it, I feel pretty "jangly" if I have too much, it feels like too much coffee.

I'm a bit scared of reintroducing dairy today and hope it doesn't make me sick.

On the plus side, we are going for a long drive in the country with no idea of where we'll be eating, which is really fun after being such a planner last month :) Now I can have sugar I'll be able to have bacon & eggs out for breakfast, which will be awesome :D

Due to crapola weather, postponing country trip to another day :)

So far, my only symptom is slightly dry eyes, not sure this is food related, but recording for reference.

I've had icecream and some cheese today. Don't feel sick. Icecream was very sweet. I enjoyed it but don't want any more.

I realised what I'd most looked forward to, I can't have, cheese on flax crackers lol

Reintroduction has been interesting. Dairy seems to be fine (although I have only had a cappucino with milk as milk has never agreed with me in large amounts), sugar is fine aside from the blood sugar spikes and my blood sugar seems to be returning to normal better than it did before Whole30.

Despite knowing it was stupid, I had corn chips cooked with vegetable oil (how did I NOT read the label?!) and these made my stomach gurgle for the first time since Whole30 (my stomach has always been a bit of a family joke for being noisy). The corn didn't make me sick enough to never eat it again, but it certainly won't be a regular menu item. I hope I can find some corn chips cooked in good oil for a later re-try.

Wheat = unhappy body. Now I could be unfairly blaming the wheat and I could be sick, but the timing is too perfect. My sinuses have flared up, I can barely breathe, my joints are sore again (I didn't miss you arthritis), my head has lost that clear feeling in the morning (although it's not back to full foggy), my eyes are "tired" feeling and my energy is gone.

I have eaten low carb for some time, but never wheat free (a lot of low carb items are high in gluten, even when low in wheat). I've eaten a pretty wheat-heavy diet all my life really. We ate a lot of pasta and bread growing up. I developed arthritis before I was 15 (not sure exactly when, but I was diagnosed just before I turned 15) but had likely had it for at least a year prior. I've had chronic sinusitis for a long time, had surgery, the works. I doubt gluten is the cause of it, but it looks like it's going to be a hinderance in healing.

I had some tea with soy lecithin in it, didn't notice any reaction from that, not sure how much is really in these teas. As long as I get no reaction, I'll continue to use them up (I have a few boxes) but not sure I'll buy any more.

Back to eating clean for awhile, I'll keep the dairy and sugar, but not sure how much I'll have (if any). It sure makes eating out easier (butter).

Forgot to record my Saturday workout. This was my personal best and after reintroducing dairy and sugar (still had Tiger Blood). I could never have done a workout like this prior to Whole30, just did not have that much energy.

TotalGym (approx. 1.25 hours)

Level 3 ->

3 sets of 50 reps - leg squats (150)

Level 1 chest work ->

2 sets of 10 reps - chest presses (20)

2 sets of 10 reps - chest fly (20)

Level 2 ->

4 sets of 10 reps - cross cable row (40)

2 sets of 10 reps - pull over

1 set of 10 reps - pull over palms in

Level 3 ->

2nd 3 sets of 50 reps - leg squats (300 total)

9 sets of 5 pull ups (45)

Pre-workout: coffee & coconut cream

Post-workout: Lunch (inc 3 eggs)

I feel SO bad, this post is to remind me that wheat isn't worth it and what it feels like, so I can recognise it.

Arthritis is back, I'm stiff, sore and I sound like a bowl of rice bubbles (snap! crackle! pop!). The pain is pretty intense, I'm really feeling it after being pain free for a few weeks. Knees are the worst, but I can even feel it in my neck and back.

Sinusitis flared up big time, the works, sore teeth, sore ears, blocked eustachian tube, can barely breathe. Even after medicated steam, hot coffee and a hot shower. My sense of smell is almost gone, pretty scary. I hope this doesn't turn into a full blown infection.

Bloated, I'm all puffy and not just my stomach/innards. My face, my legs, my arms, even my elbows and feet.

My eyes are really sore, dry, tired feeling and a little blurry.

Muscle fatigue. I feel like I've been mountain climbing and full of lactic acid/DOMs. Not sure if this is inflammation or what.

Skin is irritated, no rash or anything, but the surface is harsh and the pores seem inflamed a little, tiny bumps.

Energy has gone, re-reading my workout, my brain doesn't even believe I did this, let alone could do it again. I feel completely drained, unmotivated and tired. I miss my Tiger Blood :(

Mentally I'm having trouble concentrating, remembering, I'm finding it hard to be positive and plan ahead. Nothing seems appealing, food or activities. Complete CBF feeling.

The worst part is that I recognise many of these symtoms as things that have been "normal" to me in the past. Not always at all once, but I can't say that any of this is unfamiliar. My doctor has previously though the energy may have been lack of oxygen as it often matched my sinus flare-ups. Wondering now if this is wheat/gluten. Many symptoms I have linked to my sinuses, not so sure now.

Things I expected and don't have: sore stomach, gurgly stomach (in this respect, very unlike the corn chip reaction), stomach pains.

Low carb has probably omitted or reduced wheat/gluten intake for me in the past, I know I feel better low carb, but maybe it's really low gluten? I have never before considered any issue with gluten/wheat. Now in a bit of a panic as I don't really know anything about gluten, except it's not in rice.

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. It would be good in a way though if its the cause of some long standing symptoms. I have been gluten-free for years (with varying strictness). My worst symptoms are rashes, bloating and depression, it was due to the depression that I gave it up as this symptom imposes on other people.

Gluten-free grains are quinoa, amaranth, rice, corn, maize, millet, buckwheat. Oats are tolerated by some, not others. Oats contain a similar protein some people react to and also can be contaminated with wheat dust so many avoid it.

I have actually found I dont miss grains so wont be introducing them. At the end of my whole35 I threw out my millet and quinoa. I still have the flours as I use in cooking still for kids treats.

Hidden sources of gluten you probably know from your whole30.... like sauces and breadcrumbs etc

I used to cook millet and quinoa like rice then add cinnamon and almond milk to have a grain based breakfast. Polenta cooked in a microwave rice cooker with dried cranberries was another favourite of mine.

lol millet always tastes like bird seed to me, but I love buckwheat pancakes

I'm hoping rice is okay, but not brave enough to try it right now.

Feeling a bit better now, I haven't eaten much today but really didn't feel like it was a good idea.

Gonna get an early night and hope I feel better tomorrow

Reading your list of symptoms makes me feel better at being knocked flat by milk. Never expected this. But it's only been headaches, loss of appetite and fatigue (slept all day today).

Really hope you feel much better soon, praxisproject!

• 5 months later...

Haven't updated in awhile. I've been tested for gluten antibodies and it has come back negative. I've seen a gastroenterologist and need to eat wheat for a few weeks and then have a biopsy. The good news is I am likely not celiac and also may not be gluten intolerant, it may be something else. I am hoping this is the case as it's the part that's hardest when eating out. Will be away from the forums for awhile, back after the biopsy.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, attempted the Gluten Challenge so I could have the biopsy. Big fail, couldn't complete the eight weeks, far too sick. I stopped the challenge when I got heart palpitations, it just got too dangerous. 

On the plus side, nothing with wheat has any appeal left at all for me, I was soooo sick!

Starting to recover from the wheat backlash now, so back to Paleo.

One of the things I learned after stopping the challenge is that wheat doesn't just make me feel sick, it really messes with my whole body, I can't digest food well at all, especially protein. It affects my sleep, my concentration, my sinuses (and therefore breathing) and really saps my energy.

Looking forward to being able to do leg squats again.

lol Disaster, local veggie shop is out of kale! Nooooo....

On the plus side, I got blood oranges and a plantain (no idea what I'm doing with this yet, so I only got one, but it's huuuge!).

Veggies from veggie shop: Sweet potato, Chinese broccoli, shanghai bok choy, zucchini, huge bag of red capsicum (only AU$1.50 a kilo! crazy) 2 x cauliflowers, spaghetti squash, 2 chunks of banana squash, 1 big chunk of grey pumpkin, basil.

Veggies from Coles: Brussels sprouts, fresh stir fry veggie mix (Coles), 4 leaf bagged lettuce, rosemary.

The banana squash looks a bit like the long one on this page, but bigger and more wrinkly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbita_maxima - it was only sold cut up, I don't think anyone could use a whole one, it's bloody enormous! Nearly a metre long.

For non-Aussies, this is a Queensland blue pumpkin: http://www.wiffens.com/produce/vegetables/pumpkin/queensland-blue-pumpkin

They don't have a lot of ridges, which makes them easy to cut up and they are very tasty, never soggy or watery. Keep well.

Fruit: Blood oranges, passionfruit, tiny red pears, cherries, blueberries.

Meat (all Coles): Organic chicken breast (Inglewood Farms), beef strips (King Island), beef mince (King Island), Pork Forequarter Shoulder Roast (can't get the shoulder in free range yet).

http://www.inglewoodfarms.com

http://www.kingisland.net.au/king-island-brand/king-island-beef-group

Something I learned today: Vegemite is not gluten free.

Bye Vegemite, we had some good times together but I'm moving on. Since I don't eat bread I really haven't known what to do with you for some time, so you probably won't notice I've left you behind.

Maybe the kale farmer slept in today ;)

It's crazy expensive, more than Lilydale, I've been watching for it on special. Got some 20% off recently.
I'm actually eating less chicken at the moment, and it's cheaper than salmon (not by a lot).

King Island beef though, seems to be getting cheaper :D

We're also eating less chicken - more lamb/beef and kangaroo...we get great grass fed/organic beef and lamb both at Coles and our grocer so we're happy. I've been buying cheaper cuts for slow cooking - saves a bit of money, and we've had some delicious meals perfect for the cold weather :)

One of the things I learned after stopping the challenge is that wheat doesn't just make me feel sick, it really messes with my whole body, I can't digest food well at all, especially protein. It affects my sleep, my concentration, my sinuses (and therefore breathing) and really saps my energy.

I think you have your test right there. I also tested negative for celilac, but I know that gluten messes with me. I really don't care if the test is positive or not, I'm never eating it again. I gave up all grains even before I started W30.

Cooked my first plantain this morning! It was a little yellow, but not fully ripe (inside it smelled just like a green banana). Verdict? I like them sliced thinly, fried in coconut oil until brown/black and crispy on the outside. The thicker slices I tried were too "starchy" tasting for me, if I'd cooked them any longer they'd have been burnt, so thin is how I'll do them in future. The one wonky end piece (pointy on one side, flat on the other) was the worst, I should have cut it much thinner, it didn't cook evenly.

I tried them with cinnamon and nutmeg, cinnamon, even a little bit of coconut sugar. I liked them best just in coconut oil, only just cool enough to eat :) Really don't need anything else.

Now I understand all the comments about not having leftovers, I intended to keep a slice to see how they kept, but I ate them all!

Also tried a new (not Whole30) commercial almond milk, Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Breeze. Tastes the same to me as the regular Unsweetened, if you've been wondering about it, nothing to write home about. I don't have it often, but it's something I can keep in the office or at someone's house, unopened and doesn't cause as much fuss as coconut milk or coconut cream. I wish someone would make coffee-size coconut cream or coconut milk packets I could just keep in my bag.

Post Gluten-Challenge-Fail update: swelling is going down, energy is going up (slowly), stomach is still a bit blinky, sometimes doesn't want to eat protein, but will tolerate dairy.

I'm pretty sure the dairy messes me up, but so does no protein, so mostly Primal at the moment, with more carbs than I would eat normally.

Still not feeling strong, planning to move to 100% Paleo, but need a bit more planning I think, mostly around food sourcing, although local options are improving (yay for organic chicken!). My old Thai Gourmet curry paste now only comes with added sugar and Mae Ploy is no longer in our supermarkets. Need a new curry paste dealer lol Fortunately, once I find one, I can stockpile.

Yay! Found Aroy-D curry paste in plastic tubs today, ALL Whole30 safe! I got four, red, green, penang and massaman.

Found many new things today: CoYo icecream, CoYo yoghurt (these alone make going dairy free much much easier), two brands of kombucha (Wonderdrink - such an embarassing name! and Mojo), drypack Ceres Organics sundried tomatoes without industrial seed oils! A new cajun spice mix called Slap Ya Mama (I am not making this up), it's Whole30 safe! (not AIP though)

So many other things... too lazy to type them right now.

PS. tried Lemon Wonderdrink, Raspberry Mojo, a few spoons of CoYo yoghurt and icecream, Slap Ya Mama (on salmon and scallops) all seriously awesome.

PPS. Have lost a dress size up top now too, to match the pants. Still a bit puffy in wheat recovery, so v happy with this.

Archived