Rutabaga

TracyP

if they were crunchy, then they weren't cooked. ICK! I think uncooked they would be nasty.

I find they take 10-15 min longer than most of my other root veggies. When I'm thinking smart, I cut them smaller if I'm doing a root veggie mix. They should feel fork tender, just like a potato feels when they are done properly.

Growing up, they were called turnips in my house, and I never knew there were any other kinds until many years later. We always had them mashed, and I always thought they were a bit too strong. But I loved them raw! As a kid, I would beg for a slice when my mom or grandmother was cutting one up for dinner.

• 4 weeks later...

We call them swede in Australia (and in the UK where I lived for a while). My MIL mashes them with carrot, loads of butter (ghee would of course be whole30 compliant) and LOADS of pepper. I've mashed them with parsnip & ghee recently (the parsnip stays a little fibrous).

I reckon they'd mash nicely with sweet potato and also with pumpkin/sqash too.

I do a lamb stew which I think is better with a bit of diced swede.

I also make a pumpkin & winter veg soup which I usually put some swede in. (I need to work on a meaty version of this soup!)

Archived