Alcohol after Whole30, maybe not worth it?

TrayS

I think Whole30 has ruined alcohol for me, which I realize is a good thing, but old habits die hard.

On Thursday I had one glass of red wine. You would think that after a month of not drinking it would hit me hard, but it didn't hit me at all. It did, however, make me sleep like crap.

Then, on Friday night my husband and I went out to dinner, and there was wine there too. As is typical for me non-W30, Friday and Moderation are mutually exclusive terms, and I probably consumed the equivalent of around 1/2 - 2/3 of a bottle. Not only did I notice that the buzz felt more like I'd been poisoned, but the headache was much worse yesterday morning (and in fact I still feel a bit off today).

I'm realizing that I don't want the wine anymore, but I'm so used to madly craving it that a part of me can't wrap my brain around not wanting it. It's a confusing place to be!

Just wanted to vent my experience. :)

You just beat me to this post!

I decided to reintro wine last night. I had a beautiful bottle of Malbec still in the fridge from Christmas. I started with a glass, which was the most delicious wine I ever tasted. Then the kids kept whining, somebody spilled hot wax all over my cleaned carpet, and hubs came home to tell me he'd stabbed a screwdriver all the way through his hand and waited FIVE HOURS to come home and take care of the wound (he crossed that fine line between "tough" and "idiot" IMHO) and one glass became three.

I feel AWFUL. I woke up in the middle of the night with a MAJOR headache and couldn't get back to sleep. My stomach hurt and I was overheated. I am congested like crazy and weirdly depressed today...everything is bothering me. I really like wine, and the occasional NorCal margarita, but it is not worth this. I guess like you said, it's probably a good thing, especially since my dad is an alcoholic and if youu believe in genetic predisposition to that affliction, I've probably got it. But still. UGH.

Here's to enjoying SuperBowl Sunday with a nice Berry LaCroix and lots of Whole30 treats.

Me too!! I was just thinking this this morning. First glas was guh-ross so I poured the rest in my mom's glass which she happily consumed. Second glas was an actual good wine and I enjoyed it, but it just made me feel dehydrated. This morning I was totally dehydrated and feel stuffy. What a bummer, but I guess a good thing.

For a long while, before whole 30, when I was offered sweets or non healthy foods, I would weigh if it was worth it in my mind or not before I accepted or declined. Sometimes a beautiful dessert at a lovely celebration was worth it! Now it seems alcohol will be the same for me...as it should! Especially because it was ALWAYS worth it before...

After my last Whole30, I definitely cut my drinking back by a lot -- and kept it much lower. A glass or two is ok, but more than that, and I really notice feeling off the next day. Even if I feel physically ok, it makes me depressed.

It makes me depressed too. And since I already have the depression gene, the anxiety gene, the alcohol gene, and am maddeningly Type A, I don't need the extra trigger to disrupt my mental well being!

The rest of the bottle is just sitting on the kitchen counter. The open bottle factor is an issue too. I would love to just get rid of all the wine in the house (I'm laughing at the thought of trying to convince my husband this is a good idea...)

It makes me depressed too. And since I already have the depression gene, the anxiety gene, the alcohol gene, and am maddeningly Type A, I don't need the extra trigger to disrupt my mental well being!

The rest of the bottle is just sitting on the kitchen counter. The open bottle factor is an issue too. I would love to just get rid of all the wine in the house (I'm laughing at the thought of trying to convince my husband this is a good idea...)

I also have the depressed, anxiety and alcohol gene! Before my Whole30 I was polishing off a bottle of wine pretty much every night and I would feel fine in the morning. I have not had any since finsihing my Whole30, I'm a little hesitant. One because I don't want to fall back into my bottle a night routine and 2, I don't know how it will affect me. I did have one vodka seltzer on Superbowl Sunday but I made it very light with lot's of seltzer. And I took 2 hours to drink it. HA!!! That NEVER would have happened pre-Whole30! So I felt fine since it was so minimal, not sure I want to test it more than that......

ditto on almost all accounts! and frankly after the weekend, all of mon/tues i felt lethargic. i almost felt a catholic guilt w/ the wine & chocolate & cheese, which in combination w/ the dehydration and sugar increase probably only worsened my mood. yesterday i decided to get some extra sleep & eat clean again, and feeling better already. guess i'll finally work on that whole moderation thing :)

Archived