AngelaBP

I rode the Seattle to Portland Cycling classic last year and got turned on to a great beverage, SPORTea. I started drinking it again, now that I'm into my Day 6 of my first Whole30, because I no longer do water "enhancers" (Mio, Crystal Light, etc.). I checked out the ingredients and everything on the list seemed Whole30-compliant. Can anyone tell me if what I'm reading is correct? Here's a link to the list of ingredients:

http://www.sportea.com/sportea_key_ingredients.php

I'd love to get any input!

Not sure why you need it. Natural flavors is the part that bothers me. It can mean fruit sugar or many other evils. I would just drink water for now. Or have at some of the compliant teas. Oooo...maybe Kombucha for you. It's really yummy. My favorite is GT's Gingerade. Watch for added sugars in the ingredients list.

Hi, I had a look at the ingredients and, as Susan said, the only question is what are the natural flavours. Now many companies won't tell you what these are because they're proprietary blends or trade secrets. I avoid anything that simply says flavouring ever since I watched a BBC program which showed that these are derived from petro-chemicals (honestly). However these say derived from botanical and citrus sources which, personally I feel, is a bit better. I don't know all the food regulations in the US, over here if it says no sugar, as this does, then there couldn't be any fruit sugar at all. I think it's one of those things that comes down to how far each of us wants to go. If your food regs are the same as ours, then, personally I'd go ahead.

It seems fine, but I am automatically skeptical of products that make major health claims. This product seems to be saying it is the only healthy drink besides water. It is pretty much just tea with a few added ingredients--not something that is hard to find. I guess it's not much more expensive than other teas, though, so there are few issues with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why you need it. Natural flavors is the part that bothers me. It can mean fruit sugar or many other evils. I would just drink water for now. Or have at some of the compliant teas. Oooo...maybe Kombucha for you. It's really yummy. My favorite is GT's Gingerade. Watch for added sugars in the ingredients list.

Definitely like the Kombucha...

Water, flat or sparkly, is very popular with folks around here. It's certainly the best before, during and after a workout. But if I want something flavorful, I like Sport Tea a lot. I put it in a jar on my patio and make Sun Tea. Its natural flavor is from citrus, pure and simple. No big deal. Ginger may add some sweetness too. Read the part that says "no artificial sweeteners, colors or flavors?" One of its main ingredients is eleuthero root, an adaptogenic herb, and is arguably a cleaner alternative to coconut water or sports drinks.

Kombucha is also a tonic, but I would suggest drinking it only after a workout. Consider in order to make any kombucha, at least 1 cup of pure sugar is needed per gal. of water. The culture feeds off most of that sugar. But after fermentation, fruit juice is commonly added for flavor and sweetness. There are 'original' flavors you can choose that have nothing added. So, we're talking about tea fortified with certain ingredients, Sport Tea is no different.

. Read the part that says "no artificial sweeteners, colors or flavors?"

Hi Night Bear, i totally agree with you, this tea seems ok though it's not one I've ever seen over here. However the phrase 'no artificial sweeteners, colours or flavours' doesn't really tell us an awful lot in itself. Manufactured foods can contain, soy, high fructose corn syrup, stevia, sugar etc (all things we want to avoid) and still claim this. It's amazing what they try to get away with.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone and thank you for sharing about SPORTea®. We are a family owned and operated company that's been in business now for 25 years with out any negative consumer actions against us.

We thought perhaps you might be interested in having us respond to some of the things that you raised with regard to the product.

Ingredients: ingredients are all-natural and water-soluble so that if the body doesn't need any of them they wash right through. Plus, they are fundamental and easy to understand things like vitamin C and trace minerals etc. is a great product for bikers and endurance athletes. One of our biggest supporters was Richard Quick who has been the Stanford University swimming coach for the women's team and a four-time Olympic coach ( twice the head coach of the American women's swimming team). He trained his endurance athletes on SPORTea regularly and took the product to the Olympics and train the other athletes on it as well so it has been through Olympic testing.

Natural flavors: with regard to this section it is as one of your comments indicated a "proprietary blend"issue but I can assure you as another one of your writers indicated that it does come from true natural botanicals and citrus flavors and it has nothing that is bad for you..., No sugars no artificial anything like no preservatives or stabilizers,... It is basically water with vitamins and minerals and nutrients that the body needs on a regular basis to increase bodily efficiency and performance based on better function of the systems. SPORTea is not a burst beverage or stimulant in the sense of being a performance enhancer.

SPORTea has been used in reference to the body like the analogy of engine oil in your car for fun.

So, clean engine oil in your car keeps the car parts running more efficiently which increases gas mileage performance and helps the parts last longer......SPORTea has been likened to this in that SPORTea does the same thing for your bodily systems and thereby helps your body perform more efficiently and the parts can last longer. As an example of this concept of performance, the Ginger in SPORTea warms the blood which aids in blood flow and if your blood is flowing more smoothly you feel better and your body operates more efficiently. That's it..... That's the concept of SPORTea overall with its ingredients. Plus, it tastes great and quenches your thirst.

Sincerely, thanks again for comments on our product and we hope you continue to enjoy it.

if you have further questions we would be happy to try to answer them.

Energize Your Day!®.... The SPORTea way...Naturally!

Sportea® mgt.

Archived