March 1st start anyone?

kindergartencowgirl

This is going to sound weird (or maybe not)... Day 4 for me, and I have -- cheekbones?

Believe it or not, I don't really have a mirror in the house since the bathroom cabinet broke a couple of months ago, and I don't do makeup, so the only time I look at myself much is at work in the bathroom while I'm washing my hands. Yesterday I noticed my eyes looked clearer and rounder, which I thought was kind of odd and maybe my imagination. Today, I did a double-take -- my face has changed a little. I'm guessing my cheeks aren't as puffy, so my face looks square-shaped, which is never has been (I don't think). And... I notice my cheekbones. Not in a gaunt way, just there, when I didn't really think about them before. At all.

I'll ask my husband in the morning and see what he says. Probably nothing -- men. :lol:

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 38 of my Whole60. The new car smell is definitely gone. The newness has rubbed off and my brain is at it again so it definitely was a good idea to continue. I haven't given her its way. I work in retail and where I work we get "rewarded" with a box of cookies from Cheryl's. If you haven't heard of Cheryl's it's a good thing. The treats from there are amazing. One day last week I walk into the break room and there they are. The old Lisa would have had two right away and walked back there every hour or so to have a couple more and she would have brought a few home to pack in Bruce's lunch. The new Lisa looked at the box longingly and told her Sugar Dragon to back off. :angry:

I do agree about the grocery shopping. My goodness. Seems like I'm in there every two or three days! You know what's weird though, when you shop from the perimeter the items take up a lot of space in your cart. All those veggies! And, it's no coincidene that they take up more room in your stomach too. They're called "perishables" for a reason. You buy and go through them in a couple of days then you need more. We really need to put in a garden this summer. But, we live in a metro park and the deer will need to be kept away from it. Hungry ground hogs too. Probably have to put in under a cage or something. That'll be attractive! Or possibly join a CSA like I've been wanting to for, like, ever.

The workout plan I follow is called Supreme 90 Day. (Different workout for each day) I'm sure you don't have to follow along precisely but that was my mentality, so I felt guilty about not wanting to do Tabata Inferno (very intense) on Saturday. You see, I work in a bridal shop and Saturday's are crazy busy and very physically demanding so I just couldn't bring myself to do it. And I have an earlier start to that day and just couldn't get up the motivation. So...I just decided (and felt good about the decision) to just leave the weekends open where workouts are concerned. If you feel like doing something, do whatever. If you don't feel like working out, don't. Just don't feel guilty about not working out. Like I said, physically demanding. You try lugging heavy gowns back and forth all day and see if you aren't tired by the end of a 10 hour shift. I'd call that a workout...When I first started there 4 years ago I wore my pedometer to work on a Saturday and logged about 8 miles too. I just want warmer weather already! I live in Ohio and this winter has been pretty cold. I prefer to run in the winter but this is ridiculous. Plus I'm dealing with an angry hip flexor which I was hoping my diet would help heal. It is a little better but like I said, it is angry. I did a 10 mile about a year ago as a warm up to my first Half and at about mile 7 it seized up on me. I finished the race half walking/half running but should have called my ride to come get me. We were in Columbus. He never would have found me so I kept going. Bad idea. I had to lift my leg with my hand every time I got in or out of the car for weeks.

As far as food that is "not allowed", I prefer to say I am choosing not to eat that. Not allowed, to me, sounds very confining and restrictive. This really isn't a diet in the strict sense of the word. I lost almost seven pounds (14.96 kg) and 3% of my body weight in 30 days eating like a queen the whole time. Not hungry all the time. I hate diets that restrict calories. Worse idea ever. You know the "calories in/calories out" way of losing weight? Stupid idea dreamed up by the "experts". Think about it. They want you to eat less and move more. That makes no sense. If you move more you are going to be hungier. But you are eating less. When you are eating less you have no real energy to move any more than you previously were. It's a vicious cycle. Read Why We Get Fat and What You Can Do About It by Gary Taubes. EXCELLENT. You will be saying OMG a lot. I've got Wheat Belly in the queue too. And after reading ISWF choosing not to eat toxic food makes perfect sense.

Free range eggs. Definitely free range. I get mine a couple miles from here and the difference is amazing. The first time I cracked one open I genuinely smiled. So pretty. The yolk was perky and the white didn't run all over the pan. And the color!!!

Last night I just wasn't sleepy. We went to bed around 9-9:30. I usually read a little bit which relaxes me and I usually end up reading the same sentence about 10 times before I realize I really need to shut the light out. But last night, I finished a chapter and wasn't tired yet it was going on 10 (and I get up at 4:30) so I shut the light out and hoped for the best. Before I knew it I was up to go to the bathroom at 1:30. So I must've fell right to sleep. That never happens when I'm just not sleepy. Progress? I usually have no problem falling asleep anyway but if I'm just not sleepy? Forget about it.

Vanilla Rooibos tea is Whole30 compliant and really hits the spot after dinner. I put a bit of magnesium powder in it too sometimes.

I think I'll bust out my French Press for my afternoon decaf today. It just has to make it taste better.

@KayJay- you are less bloated because of no wheat and dairy. My abdomen between my belly button and hips is where I've noticed less bloat. That is my "spare tire". And as far as working in the pasta factory, I wouldn't think it would matter. You're not eating it. Frankly, I could live the rest of my life without pasta. I make a mean spaghetti sauce with italian sausage (gotta find some compliant sausage) and I prefer serving it over a big 'old pile of sauteed veggies. Much more satisfying.

Keep on keeping on my March peeps! :D

Hi all

Day 4 here and I've successfully gotten through yet another day. I really wonder if I will be able to create the habit of every "go to" food is a veggie or a fruit or some type of protein so that I don't have to worry about packing on the kilos again in my "old age" it would be nice to have my body and mind trained so that THAT is a reality.

For breakfast it was 2 eggs, bacon, capsicum and zucchini fried in ghee with homemade salsa Morning tea was an banana and a small hand full of nuts, lunch was 1 tin of tuna, salad and an apple, afternoon tea was a black cup of coffee and dinner was fish with 1/2 chorizo, salad, raw broccoli and sun dried tomatoes. I've drank 2 litres of water and my headache is nearly all gone! I'm looking forward to an early bed time tonight.

Hope you are having a great day and look forward to seeing you all here tomorrow! :)

I'd like to admit to you all that I very nearly gave in to a craving yesterday...!

They say cravings only last a few minutes... Well, mine lasted nearly all day. After I ate dinner, I convinced myself that I would not give in today and if the craving was driving me crazy tomorrow, then I would reconsider. However! soon after having had dinner, the craving actually went away! (This rarely ever happens to me.) When I woke up this morning I was so happy for having made the right decision. Plus, when I looked in the mirror this morning, I noticed that my belly had shrunk! WORTH IT! :D

So, next time you feel that ridiculous craving come on, think about just holding off until the next morning. (;

@ Lisa, the only reason I asked about where I work is that I am exposed to lots of flour, additives and gluten on a daily basis there: they are well-ventilated, of course (never any issues from audits and inspections), and I work in the warehouse primarily, but everything gets a very fine coating of stuff from the air over time, that gets cleaned also on a daily basis. Which means I'm breathing it in too.

If I'm handling dry pasta, such as wasted product, my skin can feel very dry afterward. I've noticed going in that my hands redden a bit at the beginning of my shift, just being around it. (Tends to go away later on.)

I've had very noticeable differences when cutting out grains in my diet, even before Whole30. But I wasn't working there then. I guess I'll do more research and ask around -- I doubt it's a full-blown allergy, and this job isn't forever. I'm not even concerned about how it affects the Whole30 process. I just never thought about it before! :)

Starting my whole30 tomorrow! I did a little bit of shopping and I have a ton of meat and veggies in my house so I figured I could do this for the next couple of days at least. I was spending so much time preparing that I was over thinking it. :/ Anyway, I'm doing this for health reasons and not weight. I have chronic pain all over my body. Looking forward to feeling better and reading everybody's posts!

Hi gang! Day 4 is going well. I have noticed that I have been craving something sweet and did indulge in a prune, but am resolved to not have anymore sugar at all. I am adjusting to all the meat that I have been eating (I usually ate very small portions). I think that if I can eat smaller portions of the meals I eat and take it slowly it won't be such a bother. I am grateful for the fact that I gave up caffeine a while ago, and that I had started giving up grains and cutting back on sugar before I started the diet. It feels like the detox is a little less intense because of those earlier cuts. I find myself craving nuts....does this mean I need more protein? I have also stocked up on different herbal teas, and they have been an excellent way of getting more water in without getting sick of just plain old water.

Wow KayJay!! I would think that inhaling gluten could add to some problems. Good thing you have decided to cut out the grains, since it is hard to limit the gluten that you are around.

I know what you mean Red Dog, I find myself fighting cravings all day. I feel like I have the munchies all the time, lol. I keep drinking water, and reminding myself that these are only cravings, but I have been snacking on various cut vegetables or halved avacados.

My youngest woke up this morning throwing up, so I am hoping that I don't follow in suit with her. I started a bone broth this morning, just in case, so that I would have something healthy to sustain myself if I do (and for any of my other family members who may get sick). We also went to the chiropractor and got adjusted, so maybe that will help, too.

Keep up the good work guys!! I am going to make the olive oil mayo this afternoon. I will report back on how I like it!

Hi all, Just starting day 5 here had a great breakfast but had to handle iced donuts this morning as I was packing them away in the fridge for the husband and kids to have later in the week. I touched them but I did not lick one finger! I still feel like I cheated a bit wondering if the sugar could some how go through my skin into my blood stream! :P

Ive packed myself a great lunch and morning/afternoon tea and look forward to having a great day! Hope you do too! :)

i had a very busy day 4...dr. appointment with strep throat boy, then mess up with the prescription not getting to the drugstore....then trying to clean while attending to sick child. stayed compliant and have lots of energy.

had a strange dream last night involving an armadillo cheesecake...woke up thinking "who thought that up?? it sounds gross!" apparently i thought that up in my own strange mind.

also...before i say the next thing i'll throw out a TMI warning...but for most of my life i've been the kid that goes pee 2 or 3 times a day and might poop 2 or 3 times a week, since eating somewhat healthier i've gotten used to one or two a day , but i swear i've got to be up to 5 or 6 times a day the last few days...my body must be seriously cleaning out.

i hope everything is going well with everyone else.

Simone's sounds like your body is seriously happy about the healthy foods!! Hope you young one gets better soon!

I'm at work doing a quick check in to say that I LOVE that my stomach does not feel bloated and that I don't have that fear that I will "pop off" in public like I used to have.

I've remained very compliant without one bobble but I am concerned about a cough lolly I had earlier today. It was a Halls. I had a cough that water would even stop. I'm just going to keep moving forward.

Day 4 success. My youngest is driving me crazy with his homework tonight. Hopefully, I can wind down and get a good nights sleep, another busy day at work tomorrow. Hope everyone has a restful evening and a great day tomorrow - Day 5 already! G'night all.

First of all, Renee.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sorry to hear about your grandpa, hope he is better. WTG against the pressure... you have a will of iron! And I love me some cheesecake :rolleyes: that right there is something to look forward to.

AJ10... sugar butthead!! ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: I am so using that.

Welcome jill011.. way to stick with it! I know those church potluck can be full of temptations!!

vtgekko, I would personally go with the local eggs. I have my own hens and am somewhat of an egg snob, lol... there is just nothing like free range happy chicken eggs, and this choice is bound to be substantially fresher.

Lisa, great job fighting back the dragon. Your story sounds familiar: just two, then a couple more, next thing you know... gone. When it comes to sugar I just can't seem to moderate (makes sense since I'm a recovering alcoholic...)

red dog, great advice! Push through and try "just for today." It works!

MissMamey, hope your little one feels better soon. Tell us how you make your broth? This is something I have not tried. I do however make mayonnaise once a week... have the recipe memorized now... cannot live without it to dip my veggies, especially sweet potato "fries"!

Today: scrambled eggs, avocado and blueberry breakfast. Chicken, roast broccoli and red bell pepper lunch. Dinner was my favorite "heavenly hash" (grass fed ground beef fried with chili powder and cumin, greens and salsa), roasted sweet potato fries and roasted green beans. I drink Pellegrino with dinner, feels fancy and keeps me hydrated.

A little bummed I had to miss Crossfit due to my daughter's new schedule. She has joined Girls on the Run and I am happy about that! But I didn't realize her first meeting was today before it was to late to go for a walk or run instead. : ( Tomorrow is conferences in the afternoon, hoping I can make it out the door in time for a workout. I love my Crossfit so much.

Goodnight to all. - Kat

@Kayjay...can you wear a respirator? Where my fiance works there is a lot of crud floating around too and I've encouraged him to wear one. He battled bronchitis for about 3 months before he finally asked me to call the Dr. You know men, they have to be dying in order to see the Dr. Two rounds of anti-biotics later and he has stopped coughing. He is a commercial electrician and the place he is currently working is being built on a brown field. We actually have a sample of the dirt to get analyzed so we know what to sue for when all these guys start dying from whatever is in the dirt.

I didn't realize your environment was so dusty! I worry about chemicals where I work too. We put the gowns in these ginormous plastic bags that, I'm sure, are a chemical farm. Handle that stuff almost daily.

Day 39/60. Made venison hash for lunch. Yumm-o. The venison was from dinner the night before, also yumm-o.

@simonec-I had "sugar dreams" for lack of a better term at around the two week mark. I would actually wake up and think I had actually had whatever it was that I dreampt about. It would take me a couple of minutes to realize it was all a dream. Those have stopped. Cravings don't seem to be as bad the last couple of days.

I did bust out my french press for some decaf yesterday and I have to say, it was much smoother. Even black. I don't know what it is...

Managed to get the Tabata Inferno workout in. Actually turned off the furnace and opened my porch door to let some cool air in. (The cat loves the porch so she was happy!)

Still battling that snacking dragon though. I'm going to try the water solution like MissMamey. It's easier when I'm at work but when I'm home? Not so much.

@kindergartencowgirl- me loves some good wine. We were in the habit of having a glass (or two) every day. I'm on 39 days without alcohol. Did I just have an "Aha" moment?

This is going to sound weird (or maybe not)... Day 4 for me, and I have -- cheekbones?

I seem to be deflating(?) from the top down. First face, then bust (boo), my waist may even look a little smaller... now just waiting (hoping!) for my jeans to fit a little looser!

Hey KAT,

Thanks so much for starting this thread. It is great especially for newbies like me to have the shared experience, motivation and support from a great group like this. So many good ideas!

I was a runner, have completed five halves and enjoyed the training.... I'm doing Crossfit now but hope to re - introduce a run in here or there. My 4th grader has signed up for Girls on the Run so I'll be doing a 5k in May.

I run and have a 4th grade girl too, although she doesn't really run... yet :) And I am in Santa Cruz - near the Whole Foods on Soquel and Shoppers Corner if you know the area. We should get together for a hike sometime (or a trail run?)

One thing I have noticed with my workouts is that I need to have the pre WO snack or I am sunk. Before W30 I could do my morning run up to 6 miles without a meal no problem. Yesterday I just didn't think about eating in time and my 4 miler was a super slog.

Ditto everyone who is enjoying all the flavors - I feel like I can taste everything better. I keep asking my family "don't you think the carrots taste like candy?" "Isn't that broth kind of sweet?" weird.

I am hyper aware of how many hundreds or thousands? of food choices I am faced with every day. Like not mindlessly taking the sample of *whatever* at Costco and stuffing it in my mouth (like crazy dinosaur shaped fried chicken pieces). Or finishing off the last sliver of brownies so I can wash the dish.... or having a sip of my husbands Guinness after doing some yardwork ooh.

So I had a nice go in the kitchen with a free range organic chicken roasted over veggies (including fingerling potatoes for the family). Then the next day a lovely chicken soup with the leftover chicken meat and homemade broth (there was corn, noodles and kidney beans for the family to add - it was VERY hard to resist the corn). Everybody loved it.

Keep up the good work!

Rene and Lisa, all that crossed my mind on Day 2. :huh: Thankfully the Whole30 seems to be working phenomenally even being around the flour dust, so I can just imagine how things will be when I'm out of that job next year! And just to clarify for anyone curious, our factory is completely compliant with all OSHA regs, there's no "fine particles" suspended in the air that could catch fire (how horrible that must have been before they realized "stuff" could be explosive!), and it's not dirt or dirty. We mill grain for the pasta, and even the finished product has some degree of powder on it (probably settles off the noodles in shipping), so of course it's in the environment. I'm just thankful that I drive a forklift and don't work in the mill -- that place really is white and required so much deep cleaning daily!

On the plus side: we do make enough food for over 5 million people every day. :) Although now I'm wondering about the value of that food (we make whole wheat and organic too though). :( Good thing this was just a job to pay the bills and get out of eventually.

dnewc, yes, "deflating" seems to be apropos. I just didn't expect it in my face, this much, first thing. What a literal eye opener! Bra is fitting much better too -- down the road I'll have to find some, er, boob-lifting exercises, lol, since age + weight loss = less than perky in my experience.

Okay, short thoughts for the last few days:

I started this right on a work week with an extra day of work. Normally I'd be exhausted and have to recover even without the OT. Today I'm off, and I'm awake and refreshed and alert before my coffee! That in itself is worth the price of admission!

I'm having zero cravings. However, I get sharply and terrifically hungry and my blood sugar drops (hypoglycemic, light-headed) every work day at 6:30pm, when my last meal was at 3 or so, without fail so far. A handful of nuts seems to do it until my first break at 7:30pm when I can eat something more substantial. Any suggestions? I'll be interested to see how this goes today, at home.

I'm eating less! And not on purpose! I get to the end of a meal and my body is saying "meh, that's okay, I'm fine" vs. "mmmmuuurrrp toooo fulllll" and I leave the last bit for a snack later (or my morning out-of-bed booster the last two days). And my meals are already visually smaller than I'd have eaten before.

Man, this is a novel. I'll stop now and write in my own log, lol. Glad this community is here!

Started my whole30 this morning! Scrambled eggs, kale, sweet potato, purple onions with rosemary and a little bit of balsamic vinegar....yummy! And green tea...which I'm trying to get uses too!

Oh this sound very nice!! I'll have to try this! Just wondering, I've never had green tea, is it bitter to taste?

Kat, thanks for your thoughts. He's doing a lot better and is finally out of the ICU, but still lots of question marks.

As for my W30? I miss gum. :( The end.

Hi Reneé Glad to hear he is doing better and I hope those question marks get answered soon. I also miss breath mints but I'm wondering what can be had in it's place? Any ideas?

So it's Day 6 here and while it started off as a great day, I went for a run this morning before work, I was met with some challenges later in the day (4:30pm) and in a matter of 3 1/2 hours I managed to tear up my days worth of Whole 30.

I had an incident at work with another male coworker who, when I was asking him about something work related, showed me something totally inappropriate and sexually related at his desk. I felt embarrassed, violated, disgusted and physically sick at my stomach.

I went back to my managers desk and told him what had happened and also a close work friend. I may sound silly but I wanted to cry. All I could think is how am I going to face him in a business related meeting and think of him as being professional? So I ate a glucose jelly bean and then another.

Then I came home and told my DH what had happened over dinner that he made, which had glass noodles or (noodles made from beans) in it and sauce which I could taste the sugar in it and then I tried his pumpkin soup, made with cream. :(

I feel so embarrased and ill about work but I also feel annoyed with myself that I let myself emotionally eat :(.

I'm trying to convience my self that I might have messed up the day but not the entire experience. :-s

hello all, REALLY appreciate your company! here's report from paris: for me, the vegetables are the easy part. eating meat is taking getting used to. long time celiac, allergic to casein and eggs. but still ocular rosacea – sort of like the canary telling me something's still not right. so (yet again) trying to sort out What's Safe To Eat. cut out grains (as per Specific Carbohydrate Diet) last summer. it's possible that things are just fundamentally discombobulated – which is what led me here .. to see if this might set them right!

yummy breakfasts: thinly sliced roasted porc (here, even organic bacon only comes with sugar) sauteed with kale, sliced apple, and rosemary; or with bok choy, thyme, and sliced sweet potato.

btw santa cruz gals – home to me as well! small world ...

(only in paris because my partner lives here - and still haven't really adapted to city-ness! oh for new leaf .. oh for the bay)

ChangingWays71 - Just start over. Simple as that. You're right, it is just one day in the whole scheme of things and part of the journey. You recognized your emotional eating and that's half the battle, so I'd say you made progress. I have had similar issues with co-workers and I can relate to how you feel. I'd often drown my feelings in a bottle of wine or with a nice "treat" to make it all better, in my mind I deserved it to balance out how life was treating me that day. I know, for me, that's the wrong answer. Sounds like you know that too. If you want this, you got this. Just wipe yourself off and get back on. :)

Archived