Can Dallas or any of the guys chime in here.. time to bulk up!

I'm kind of over the get fight club ripped thing it's been great doing the whole30 and achieving a really lean physique, but I think it's time to gain some strength and put on some serious muscle, fortunately I'm at a cross fit type gym where there is room to play. I am educated in the whole30 plan but I am unsure how to go about gaining more strength and putting on some more muscle. I've noticed when I do a whole30 I get very lean nearly abs towards the end, but when I step on the scale my weight is freakishly light! Like 150 lbs..that just doesn't seem right but I look proportional. At this point, my goal is to notice an increase in muscle mass and fat loss while sticking on a whole30..

What are some of your favorite movements when it comes to working and gaining strength? Maybe get out the sled or do some heavy farmer's carry? Speed bench? Deadlifts?

Should I be eating more protein and whole food than usual to gain muscle or is this a misconception?

Respectfully,

Kevin

• Moderators

Eating is only part of what is required to bulk up. Of course you have to lift heavy, but the radical change required is rest. You are more likely to gain muscle mass training three hours per week than 10. Here is how I learned that lesson: I decided to follow Geoff Neupert's program in Kettlebell Muscle: The Secrets of Compound Kettlebell Lifting for Faster, More Efficient Gains in Strength and Power as I came back from an injury in June of 2012. The program calls for completing three workouts per week and makes the case very strongly that you should not add any additional work to the program as written. And here's the thing, most of the workouts took me 15 minutes to complete. So my actual work time lasted about 45 minutes per week. My warmups lasted about as long, so I was in my garage only about 90 minutes per week. The program includes an easy, moderate, and hard day each week. The easy workouts felt so easy that they did not seem worth doing. The hard workouts made me want to cry. The workouts got harder most weeks. I thought it impossible to do more work the next week, but amazingly, every week I was able to follow the program as written. My weight increased from 185 to 195 over the three months I followed the program and my strength and endurance increased almost every week.

This is not a year-round type program, but raising intensity while restricting work time and increasing rest really works to get bigger and stronger.

Soon after completing this program, I managed to injure myself again. I bought heavier kettlebells, increased the volume of presses I was doing too fast, and...

Ya, I know there is no message they bring saying go to "crossfit" to bulk up or get this get that. It's just I've been going to a gym with a similar style for a few years now. I assumed the majority of athletes doing the whole30 are doing Crossfit since it's so darn popular. Don't get me wrong I know it's not the magic pill!!! I will look at the resources thanks guys.

Archived