Need kale ideas

dianavuong

I've been eating a lot of kale lately and have mainly stuck to sauteeing them in some oil, garlic, salt/pepper, and sometimes some lemon juice. It's delicious but I'm starting to get bored of eating all of my vegetables the same way. I sometimes will throw in some seasonings but it still ends up tasting pretty similar. Any ideas on how I can change things up? I have a bunch of kale in my fridge right now that I need to use up.

I love kale. I have loved it since I was a child.

You could try making kale chips - they are good.

I add it to stews and stir frys

You could make it the way I grew up with it - cubed potatoes on the bottom (I now use a combo of celery root and sweet potato) Kale over top, and then a smoked sausage (try to find a compliant one - if not you could sub in some cooked chopped bacon). Put some water in the bottom to boil and cook until done. Then you remove the sausage and mash everything until well combined. It is really good with some gravy poured overtop.

• Moderators

I add a splash of apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar. The balsamic I am using lately is infused with blackberry and ginger. I always dust kale with salt and garlic powder, but other spices I sometimes use include red chili powder, Chinese five spice powder, or nutmeg.

I had kale for lunch today. I started wilting it with coconut oil, salt, and garlic powder, and then laid leftover pot roast with tomatoes and carrots on top. They heated together and were delicious. Here is the recipe for the pot roast: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/03/four-hour-pot-roast-over-wilted-greens/

Kale salad is great! I will put a bunch of chopped up kale, jicima, carrots, cucumber, onions, and whatever else you want, in a container. Then, I put in apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and a big squeeze of lemon. I let it sit for at least 24 hours and it turns out to be a wonderful zingy kale salad.

My favorite way to eat kale is massaged. Just put the raw kale in a bowl, sprinkle some salt and a glug of olive oil. Then reach in and "massage" it with your hands until it's tender. Then, you can add whatever you want - I like lemon pepper and hardboiled eggs on it for breakfast. It keeps for a couple days, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I only recently discovered kale. I tried it raw and couldn't handle it at all. Then I tried making kale chips. I just tear it up, lightly drizzle with some homemade infused olive oil (With garlic, chilis, fresh basil & thyme) then sprinkle it with seasoning of choice. I actually like using my homemade taco seasoning, it adds a bit of a kick. I tried italian seasoning as well, and it worked okay. Bake for 12 minutes and eat.

Archived