Dizzy?

Drbc

On day 8- is it normal to have some dizzy episodes during the day? Like, when I stand up, I see spots and have to stop for a few minutes for my eyes to readjust and focus? I have felt pretty good otherwise. Is this part of the "carb-flu"? Do you need more info?

• Moderators

Being dizzy and seeing spots sounds a bit extreme, but at 8 days, you probably are suffering with carb-flu. A few thoughts about the dizziness... Are you drinking enough water? Are you getting enough salt in your food?

I used to get dizzy/fainting spells when I first started cutting crap out of my diet. I neglected to replace the calories of all the processed foods I HAD been eating, and was even more active than I ever had been before. I wasn't eating enough, and definitely not eating enough salt.

How's your intake looking? are you hungry during the day?

• 3 weeks later...

I found this because I am also on day 8 and experiencing the exact same thing! Did it resolve for you? What worked? I feel like I'm eating a TON but my salt intact is probably drastically decreased so maybe that's it....

I also experienced dizzy spells and seeing spots as you describe. I, like Renee, wasn't eating enough - or more likely, not enough carbs. Are you very active? I added just one sweet potato (or similar) per day to my menu and that helped a lot. Make sure you're staying hydrated and getting enough salt too, as others mentioned.

• 8 months later...

Day 7 here and I have full blown vertigo. So significant I am a little worried about driving my kids to school. I had similar vertigo a few years back and the doctor told me it was crystals in my ear that had broken off and were floating around, throwing me off--that is a gross paraphrase, I know.

So, my question is: Could there really have been something in my pre-Whole30 diet that the removal of which would make crystals float around my ears? When I say it outloud, it sounds absurd.

Thoughts? Promises that this will pass? I'd love any and all.

Hi Laurel, no that type of vertigo is not caused by anything you eat. I've been a long time sufferer, at it's worst, I couldn't even turn over in bed without the room spinning. I know exactly what you mean about the crystals, that does describe it. There is a manipulation technique that can be done to drastically improve it. My local hospital was doing it. If you're vertigo has returned I'd ask your doctor if anyone is doing that but I'd defininitely get medical advice, especially if you have to drive.

Aha. I started seeing spots on Monday, which was Day 15 for me. The dizziness was mild enough that I didn't quite notice it at first, and initially I thought it was an aura for my first migraine in almost 10 years. Now it's Friday and still no headache, and I was starting to worry.

My husband loves sweet potatoes and we used them pretty heavily for the first week or so, and then slowed down a bit. I wonder if that's why I'm seeing this later than everyone else.

Once you got on track with carbs, salt, and water, about how long did it take for the dizziness to go away?

• 1 month later...

I'd definitely like some help with this. I felt as though I almost lost it this morning walking to the printer. I'm eating a lot of eggs, though I think an inclusion of sweet potatoes, almost everywhere would benefit.

Are there any testimonials from folk who've been able to remedy this? It's rather unpleasant and has me feeling quite weak even sitting stationary at my desk.

This all sounds like carb flu to me - an electrolyte imbalance caused by reducing carbs in the diet and possibly increasing water. When you start getting leg cramps its a sign that it has gotten really bad.

Add more salt to your meals, drink broth, and you should feel better.

I was getting dizzy during my W30. It seemed to happen on days when I ate breakfast or lunch (or both) late, or I wasn't eating enough. It especially happened after exercising. During one yoga class I thought I was going to pass out.

I started drinking more water, making sure I was eating when I first woke up, eating lunch in a timely fashion and added more starchy veg. I'm not sure what worked or if it sorted itself out but it stopped.

Archived