Exercise Routines - Whats working for everyone

Sarah Bambling

Hey ladies!

I'm on day 29 of the 30 and am feeling great! I was always an active kid and swam competitively from age 8 - college. Since moving home in 2006, I quit swimming, and pretty much exercise all together. I kept trying to become active again, but I think I'm going about it the wrong way. I just can't get motivated.

For those who are still following the 30/paleo lifestyle, what are you doing? I really miss being active and the energy it gave me, I just don't know what to do with this new lifestyle.

Thanks!!

I think it would be easy to tell you different things to do, but what do you truly enjoy?

As the weather gets better (I have hope ;) ) I can't wait to get out walking again. I have been sidelined due to a foot injury/winter/foot surgery, and I miss my walks with my dog so much! For me, the quiet time is a perfect way to re-energize. I am now also going to the gym 4 days a week, but was not ready for that after my first whole30 last year.

I say just get up and move and do what ever makes you feel good!

I do a little bit of everything. Lately, I've been doing a lot of hot yoga. Soon, I will be walking circles around the soccer field with other moms while the kids practice. I also make a point to walk or bike instead of drive anytime it is practical and I try to only watch tv while on my treadmill or elliptical. For me, the challenge isn't the diet, it's the busy kids! I fit it in when I can. :P

I love taking dance classes and I've found enough that I enjoy that I can dance 3-4x/week. Otherwise, I just take walks. I also like riding my adult trike around town for errands instead of taking the car.

Whatever you love to do is best!

Pea

Zumba 3x/week, followed by upper body conditioning, so about 90 minutes. The Zumba class is intense. My instructor is 54 and looks 20 years younger. She used to teach warm-up classes to professional athletes, and we sweat buckets with her.

Right now I'm on my 8th day!, I do stationary bike for 35 minutes every odder day... It's working for me, I really keep in mind that whatever program or diet I'm on, I can't never ever stop excerzicing ..(don't know if that's the right way to write since I speak Spanish). :)

I really enjoyed sampling classes at the gym (when I had access to a gym with outstanding variety).

And if you're not a runner, I'd recommend a Couch to 5k running programme. I really enjoyed that as when I started I could hardly run a block, so the progress that I saw with that kept me really motivated.

But I definitely still struggle with motivation issues as well, I keep signing up for races thinking that they'll help motivate me to go out at run, but that hasn't worked as well as I'd hoped :unsure:

I agree with those above...anything that keeps you moving. I was an avid runner before I was a mom. Sad to say I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to running these days...and I decided that I didn't really love it anymore. However, what's helped me stay fit, and even more fit, than when i was running is to do high intensity training (i.e. insanity, Jillian Michels, HIIT app on my phone). Basically i try to do 30 minutes of high intensity training 5 days a week. Because it's short burst of hard work, the time goes really quickly. I definitely get a better work out than i did when running, but that's probably because i never really made my runs more intense. Good luck!

I currently have knee effusion (fluid behind the kneecap), so my running/elliptical training was put to a halt. In its place I have started a new weight training program (Thinner Leaner Stronger). I am loving learning that I can lift heavy weights and discovering my newfound strength.

I'm a Nia instructor! Now I know this isn't the place to promote my business, but if we're talking about exercise, then Nia must make the list! It's a dance based holistic fusion fitness workout that incorporates Martial Arts, Dance Arts, & Healing Arts (eg. Tae KwonDo, Jazz, Modern, Yoga). The music is eclectic & stimulating; the movements are designed to be adapted to all fitness levels... it's a soulful, funky, joyful way to move your body, & the conditioning & healing benefits are amazing. Check it out: www.nianow.com to find a teacher near you.

Day 22 for this Whole 30 first-timer ;-)

Oh man. I've done all sorts of at home fitness. I just can't make regular gym visits part of my routine right now - but once my youngest is in school I would like to try crossfit a few times per week.

What works the best for me in terms of time and doesn't bore me to tears - 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, No More Trouble Zones (all Jillian Michaels. She bugs - but if you can stand her the workouts are great and not too lengthy). I also like to do different crossfit circuits I find online and bodyrock.tv (now the dailyhiit.com) I'm always doing a combination of these. I've done p90x in the past as well and Mark Laurens program: You Are Your Own Gym.

I do Zumba with the XBox 360 Kinect game a couple times a week, go to yoga a couple times a week, and sometimes play a sport -- I just finished a season of rec league badminton, and it was REALLY fun. Also, I walk 2ish miles a day several days a week, as part of my commute.

I'm so chuffed to see people mentioning Zumba! I teach two Zumba classes a week, it's the only exercise I liked so much I could stick with it and ended up getting my license. I thought everyone here would be into Crossfit (not bagging it all, so much respect for those of you who do it) and would think Zumba is for pansies. Realising how diverse this community is, and really really like it.

Ha! I don't think anyone would call anyone a pansy. We are really diverse here, it's not like Paleohacks where someone will tell you you are scared and lazy if you say you aren't into Crossfitting.

I do a mix of yoga, pilates and other home vids as much as I can with two kids and a husband who works long hours. I should walk more but I try to get my workouts done in the am if I'm not going to a class later.

True confessions time: I do Tracy Anderson, the much-hated and mocked "celebrity" trainer who's famous for telling women not to use heavy weights (an opinion I don't subscribe to). I'm sure she is the anti-Crossfit and I would never follow her diet advice. She often says ridiculous silly things, but I like the results of her workouts and have done well with them in the past.

Even worse is the segment after the Post Pregnancy workout where Gwyneth encourages women to work out "any way they can" and says she works out all the time with her kids running around--as if she doesn't have three nannies on premises and she's just a normal ol' mom.

I have done the Bar Method too and before having my son (and during his pregnancy) I went to Physique 57, which is very close to Bar Method. I also used to take Callanetics classes (halfway between pilates and barre classes), which was a fabulous mix of NY types: 85 year old women who could do more reps than me, models telling me how their fitters marveled at their results, middle-aged women covered in jewels talking about their young boyfriends. Good times.

I think the TA workouts give the fastest results--(Physique, too, but they don't have a vid.) You just have to laugh when she puts on her pouty lips face or says dumb stuff about teeny tiny arms.

I agree with KB, find something you love because you will stick with it. I've personally tried everything and what's most effective to me is something I look toward to and not just another chore I have to check off my list. Right now that's crossfit and taking walks around my neighborhood for me.

Archived