Drank wine and 2 days later I feel awful

I successfully completed a Whole40. I was going for Whole45, but I couldn't avoid attending a dinner party on Saturday. The host of the dinner party has severe dairy, wheat and nut allergies so the dinner itself was pretty compliant. Grilled chicken sauteed in a marinara sauce (there may have been sugar in there), sauteed spinach with garlic, roasted sweet potatoes (my contribution) and fresh berries for dessert.

Here's the problem...wine. Towards the end of my Whole40, all I wanted was a glass of red wine. So when I had the opportunity, I drank a glass. Then another. And tasted some whiskey that the host insisted I try.

Saturday night I felt great. I was so happy I could hold a wine glass in my hand and feel "normal."

I did not sleep well Saturday night so on Sunday, I was tired but nothing too extreme. Sunday night I got a good night's sleep but on Monday I was still dragging. I was super sore from last week's CrossFit workout even though I had 2 days of rest over the weekend. I went to bed at super early on Monday night.

Around 11 PM, I woke up with horrible cramps. I was hoping they would pass, but they didn't unfortunately. I went to the bathroom and it seems like everything emptied out of my colon.

Went back to bed. An hour later, cramps woke me up again and the same thing happened. Ugh.

Went back to bed and was able to sleep until my alarm went off. But shortly after I woke up and started moving around, debilitating cramps and diarrhea. This repeated 3 times in an hour. Unfortunately, I had to cancel my 8 AM CrossFit class.

Now I'm wondering, WTH? Am I feeling the effects of alcohol 2 days later? I haven't reintroduced anything else in my diet.

• Moderators

Having trouble sleeping Saturday night sounds about right for drinking some wine and a little whiskey, but having cramps and diarrhea 2 days later does not. I wonder if you just happened to catch a stomach bug about the time you had a glass of wine.

My boyfriend and I ate pretty much the same things all weekend and he's fine.

Last night for dinner, I cooked something different (grass fed beef, onions, mushrooms, tomato paste) and a few hours later, I started having issues. Maybe it was what I cooked last night or maybe I did pick up a bug. There are waves of nausea with the diarrhea so that could be the culprit.

I'm glad it's probably not the wine!

Plus transit time. Even the reintro schedule has you space things out 3 days apart to wait for side effects. 2 days doesn't seem unreasonable for diarrhea post-wine. You can always test again.

For me, I know that what I eat takes two days to exit...so I'd still be questioning the wine. Perhaps you have a sulfite sensitivity that you were unaware of in the past? With your newly functioning intestinal tract, perhaps it's been exposed?

Or maybe you caught a bug, too. You can always try again after a few days of eating clean.

I can no longer drink wine. I think it's from the sulfites. I haven't tested the theory yet, but there is a sulfite-free wine I have my eye on and will try soon. I read somewhere that if you are sensitive to other preservatives/chemicals, it is a good bet you are sensitive to sulfites.

Archived