4th of July grilling. Ideas needed please.

PaleoMom

We usually have friends over and grill on the fourth, however it's usually hamburgers, potato salad, beans, Corning the cob, etc. I'd like to try to impress my friends with a paleo friendly BBQ this year. I'm going to grill some meat, just not sure what yet. Also need ideas for sides and appetizers. If you have any ideas for me I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!!!

Kabobs Kabobs KABOBS! MMMMM I love me some kabobs. It's a great way to get your meat and veggies. Chicken, shrimp, steak, bell peppers, onions, tomato, whatever you want! I'm even trying to grill some cabbage and brussel sprouts this year! I live in ND and grilling season is my favorite. It seems like the easiest time of the year to eat Paleo. Who needs burgers and hot dogs when you can have REAL food?!

The meat's easy. Everything meaty tastes great grilled! So I won't hit on that.

Grilled asparagus, eggplant slabs, squash, portabello mushrooms, onion slabs (stick a skewer through them so the rings don't separate.) I usually do grilled veg pretty simply - olive oil, garlic, maybe some balsamic vinegar.

Grilled fruits are SO GOOD. Pineapple, peaches or nectarines, bananas or yellow plantains. Just brush with ghee and watch like a hawk. No one will even remember what they're "missing" after eating a grilled peach.

Veggie chips (sweet potato and zucchini are my favorites).

Grilled squash/zucchini

I saw a recipe floating on pinterest for paleo potato salad. Im not sure what the ingredients were.

You could do a berry parfait kind of thing with coconut cream.

You could do a sweet potato salad with homemade mayo, huge fruit and veggie trays, etc. I also saw a really cute picture on Pinterest where someone stuck watermelon wedges with popsicle sticks to make them easier for small hands to eat. That will be happening at my house on the 4th.

My favorite grilling veggies are summer squash, zucchini, and bell peppers. We keep meaning to grill asparagus. Broccoli slaw suggested above would be great, or any of the vinegar based cole slaws (which have always been my preference, anyhow, as they taste more salad-like to me). Sweet potato salad, or baked sweet potatos would be a nice side. Grilled pineapple is really wonderful. The strawberries and cherries have been outrageously good lately, and watermelon is a classic.

Archived