Eczema, boils and runs, oh my!

Sissa

Hi there. Brand new here. I've successfully completed my first Whole30, from the beginning of March till early April. I didn't feel like I was quite done, so I've continued on and other than a couple squares of dark chocolate, I have stayed completely on track. (I was toying with the idea of some reintroduction, but decided I'm not ready. Hence the chocolate.)

I was hoping that my eczema would improve with all the inflammatory foods I was eliminating. Nope. It's probably worse lately than it's been in a very long time. I have it only on my fingers and it cracks and bleeds and is very painful.

I also have almost daily bouts of loose stools, or even full-blown diarrhea. Today, I'd swear I have the flu, it's so bad. It's very puzzling to me.

Yesterday I noticed the dreaded return of boils. About ten years ago, I had chronic boils on my breasts and sought treatment from a foot-zonologist which cleared them up. I haven't had them again since. So them popping up now is troubling.

I'm wondering what all the symptoms mean, as far as my Whole30. It almost feels like my body is trying to rid itself of toxins, through the digestive system and my skin. Is there hope that if I continue things will clear up, or do I need to reevaluate my diet at this point?

Any insights would be appreciated.

I have not been diagnosed with eczema but I am pretty sure I have it on my hands and it has gotten worse lately. At first I thought it was aggregated by avocado so I stopped eating them for 5 days. I started eating them again a few days ago and things seemed fine until after dinner where there was no avocado. I did use coconut aminos in my flank steak marinade and sautéed mushrooms...only thing out of the norm...and I got red, itchy spots on my hands and they kind of burned when I put lotion on them. I took a Clariton and they seem to have calmed down. Luckily, with eating very limited foods and tracking, it's a little easier to narrow the aggravators.

Stress isn't particularly high. I'm a stay at home mom of 4 kids, so life can be crazy, but I'm not sure about the symptoms being stress-related.

I've gotten in a rut with what I'm eating. I'm currently trying to expand my (and my family's) diet.

Typical fare:

-eggs fried in coconut oil or ghee, with avocado and cucumbers, sweet potato or butternut squash with a little ghee. Sometimes I add cooked ground pork.

-egg salad, (boiled eggs, olive oil mayo, side pork "bacon") often with cucumbers

-salad: romaine lettuce with chopped veggies, jicima, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, avocado, olive oil ranch dressing, chicken, chopped egg

-ground beef patties with olive oil mayo, and whatever veggies I can come up with.

-pork fillets with broccoli or cauliflower

-Spaghetti sauce made with ground pork, over spaghetti squash

That's just a sampling of what I've been eating.

I really appreciate the comments.

I don't have IBS or IBD that I'm aware of.. The Hidradenitis Superativa definitely doesn't look like what I've had. The boils I'm talking about are more like large pimples, nowhere near as large as what a search brings up for the HS. They are annoying, but not very painful. I'm glad you've found some relief through this way of eating.

Something I forgot to mention is that after I begin to eat, sometimes I feel slightly nauseated for a little while. It will usually subside after a few minutes and I can usually finish my meal. (I have a LapBand, which I am hopefully going to have removed before very long. So when I eat, I sometimes have to stretch my meal out so I can get everything in.)

I'm going to throw something out there, only based on the tiny info you gave. It may be worth checking in with your doctor about the diarrhea, because you are post lap band. Diarrhea can be a side effect of the procedure, right?

Hi. Im on day 7 and Ive had diarrhea for the last 4days mostly in the evening. I feel ok (not sick) but have the runs and it seems to be worse today. I couldnt go to work. I only had a small meal for lunch and my gut is making noises again!

• Moderators

Hi. Im on day 7 and Ive had diarrhea for the last 4days mostly in the evening. I feel ok (not sick) but have the runs and it seems to be worse today. I couldnt go to work. I only had a small meal for lunch and my gut is making noises again!

Take an anti-diarrhea medication from the drug store!

Eczema is still present, but the boils seem to be subsiding and my GI troubles seem to be much better. I was eating a lot of eggs there for a while, and I've backed off of those a bit. Not sure if that was the problem.

I have had skin problems which initially improved but have been flaring up lately. The following seem to make it worse either alone or in combination or above a threshold amount.

Coffee, cocoa, fruits especially citrus, fish, nuts and possibly eggs. I am also eliminating sweet potatoes to check them too. I wonder about ghee as well. Not sure your age but hormone changes can also have a big effect

Archived