Epic Poached Egg FAIL

Jinkse21

I woke up this morning all excited to make my first poached eggs (as much as I love to cook, I can't believe this is my first attempt at it!).....it was just.horrible! I put the eggs in using a little cup..pretty....then white stuff spread everywhere! The method I found said to put a cover on and turn off the heat and leave for 4 minutes. I didn't leave it on that long and I am glad I didn't but they still got over-cooked. One broke in the pan so the did not make it onto the plate but it did make into my mouth! :D. Guess I need to find another method!

However, I quickly got over that when I covered it with some freshly made hollandaise thanks to my new best friend, the immersion blender! It turn out thicker than I thought it would but it's still yummy!

Hollandaise, wild mushrooms, a slice of beef liver and the failed poached eggs are a distant memory! ;)

Sometimes I poach my eggs on top of steamed greens, not in a steamer just a regular saucepan. Cook the greens a few mins in small amt. of water or broth, make an indent for the egg, each egg gets its own indent. Cover and simmer 3-4 mins or until eggs are done how you like them. I then carefully, using a large slotted spoon, ease the whole thing onto a plate so as not to break the yolk yet. I am almost neurotic about getting the white cooked but the yolk runny like a sauce. I end up drinking the cooking liquid when it cools.

The way I poach my eggs is to bring water to a simmer in a pot, crack my eggs into a tea cup or a small pyrex bowl and once the water is to a simmer, I stir the water to get a whirlpool going. once I have the water swirling, I tilt the cracked eggs into the whirl pool. I nudge the eggs around a bit to make sure they are not sticking to the bottom of the pan and then let them simmer for 2 1/2 minutes. I take them out with a slotted spoon and let them drain for a sec on a paper towel. Works like a charm! You can also do eggs ahead of time like this, and then slide them into tomato sauce to serve or use on a salad (very French bistro!)

NOTE: please be sure not to stir the water once eggs are in the water, or at least not as hard as you did to create the whirl pool. I only say this because I tried to explain to a friend how to poach eggs and she ended up making egg drop soup because she didn't listen to me about not stirring the water after the eggs go in.

I used the sieve method yesterday morning and had 2 decent poached eggs though I probably could have cooked them just a tad bit longer but I was scared they'd get over-cooked again. I'll probably stick with the sieve or finally pull out the poached egg maker we got as a wedding present 5 years ago! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

However, I quickly got over that when I covered it with some freshly made hollandaise thanks to my new best friend, the immersion blender! It turn out thicker than I thought it would but it's still yummy!

I assume you made the hollandaise with ghee? And that worked? I haven't tried it with my immersion blender. Didn't even think about it. I found a post on epicurious saying that's a great way to make a small amount: http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2010/04/almost-instant-hollandaise-.html

• 1 month later...

MMMMM.. hollandaise!! Yet another food that I proclaimed as off-limits on my "diet" that can now be added into regular rotation.

I too use the whirlpool method. I lose a bit of albumen so it's not perfect, but it works for me. Bring water to simmer, stir briskly with a spoon, drop egg into center of whirlpool (as close to water without burning yourself), watch it twist into a tight little bundle, simmer a couple minutes, pull it out with slotted spoon.

I have these silicon egg poachers that work fairly well if holding together is a huge deal. http://www.worldmarket.com/product/eggshell-egg-poacher-set-of-2.do?camp=ppc%3AGooglePLA%3Anone%3A40004153099adwords_groupingFood_Prep_Tools&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CM2AlIKAhbgCFep7QgodrCoAPg  

Otherwise, I just make sure my water is HOT and use a spaghetti grabber to get it out. Works much better than anything else!

I forgot about this post!  Ever since my last epic fail, I have not made poached eggs...I buy them at restaurants!  :D   Maybe I will try again this weekend...maybe.....   :ph34r:

-----

Don't be afraid!! I think poaching is the easiest way to prepare eggs, next to scrambling maybe. Alton Brown is my guru: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/perfect-poached-eggs-recipe/index.html

I never bother with the whirlpool as I am always poaching at least five eggs at a time. I do mine in a shallow 10-inch saucepan. Never had the slightest problem using his method!

So, I tried the swirly pool method this morning with a little vinegar and salt in the water. Very close but ended up cooking a little too long so the yolks were over-cooked and not the lovely golden liquid I love. Tomorrow is another day!!

Archived