What "seeds" must be avoided on autoimmune protocol?

I feel like I can live without most, except cumin. I love cumin. I also really like any Mexican or Tex Mex type food, but cutting out cumin on top of bell peppers is really daunting--that takes out Mex and most of the Asian flavored things I know how to quickly throw together. I hate to be a downer, though, so I'll stop talking.

Are there any AIP recipe resources out there? I see Paleo Mom has a link on her site. Has anyone checked it out?

I'm thinking someone posted a link to aip recipes on my Whole 30 log (on mine), but I don't remember for sure.

I've about decided I'm going to season everything with salt, until I figure it out. And I just put ginger and cinnamon in my kombucha, I think those are root and bark?? And I used vanilla extract... Oops, is vanilla extract legal? I mean, it's a bean (pod), but don't they make the extract from the seeds in the pod? Plus it has alcohol in it... Gah!! I can't keep up!

You are right about ginger and cinnamon. They are a root and a bark. I never thought to flavor my KT with cinnamon and vanilla bean. Good idea. Yes, vanilla extract almost always contains alcohol. Set it aside for now and use vanilla bean. :)

I use dried cilantro + onion + garlic for AIP "Mexican" and for "eastern" I use cinnamon + ginger + turmeric.

I also used a lot of basil, oregano, thyme and herb de Provence. Even after going off AIP (and w30 in general) those are still the seasonings I still reach for.

I separated the spice shelves into seasonings that are seeds and nightshades on one shelf all the roots, barks, leaves, flowers on another so I only had to think about what was what once, then when I was cooking I could just reach and shake.

You are right about ginger and cinnamon. They are a root and a bark. I never thought to flavor my KT with cinnamon and vanilla bean. Good idea. Yes, vanilla extract almost always contains alcohol. Set it aside for now and use vanilla bean. :)

But it's going in kombucha, which already contains alcohol!! So what difference does it make?

Oh, and home-brewed kombucha, I've read can have up to 3% alcohol. Most store brands have to be less that 0.5% at the time of shipping; if it is raw, it can continue to ferment after shipping, meaning it can be over 0.5% by the time it reaches you.

The point is that any purposely added alcohol is simply out. You are right that it isn't much but W30 is fairly black and white about some things. Added alcohol is one. Kombucha has many health benefits and that is why the small amount of alcohol and small amount of sugar (most of which comes from the fruit added as flavoring) is okay. I was just letting you know because you asked.

I know it is confusing but try not to overthink it ( a famous Robin quote). Nobody has a perfect W30 but to get the best results you should try your best for you. You are worth it. There really is a method and reason behind the madness. :0)

Archived