Calee's Whole Whatever

calee

Day 12: Happy Mother's Day! My son is 39, living in NYC so no celebration landmines to traverse. Though I must say Zach is my best supporter. Being an ex athlete, he's always been slim and works out, but a few months ago dropped the grains for a month and shed 8 pounds. He said the weight didn't come back. Love stories like that.

SLEEP beautiful sleep. Slept 11-7. Second night in a row without that 1/4 of an Ambien. Woke a few times and remembered my dreams. Better quality sleep. Did wake with a slight headache.

Have a planned 90 walk in the woods this morning with friends. Maybe rent a kayak on the lake this afternoon. I've never done that and the boathouse is a block from my house. The lake is outside my front door.

Daily Bites: Have I mentioned that I LOVE eating this way?

1. Small leftover lamb patty, sad it's the last. Sautéed cabbage. 1 coffee, herbal tea and wayer the rest of the day.

2. Trout, romaine salad, maybe sweet potato.

3. Pork ribs I didn't get to eat last night! Some sort of veggies.

I'm so happy it's Sunday! Gorgeous weather and time with good friends.

LOVE this Whole 30. Does it get more difficult. This must be the noobie pink cloud. I'm hanging onto it!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day12: I felt a chage today. I can't pinpoint it but I feel good. On my 90 minute walk, I felt like my posture was better, my shoulders back a bit further. Maybe a little leaner in my mid section.

I'm so glad I didn't have that beef burger last night. Maybe I wouldn't have felt this good today.

It's only 7:30 and I'm a little tired. Maybe this will be night three without that 1/4 of an ambien at bedtime.

Breakfast and lunch for tomorrow are packed, walk in the woods planned for after work. It's all good.

I am so happy to hear that you are sleeping better! I hope this is just the start of lots of long nights of peaceful sleep for you, sans Ambien. Also thrilled to hear that you're beginning to feel the good changes in other ways - I'm so excited for you! Yay!!! And you are awesome for resisting the beef. Isn't it funny how the more we stick with it (W30) the less we want to do anything to mess it up?

I am so happy to hear that you are sleeping better! I hope this is just the start of lots of long nights of peaceful sleep for you, sans Ambien. Also thrilled to hear that you're beginning to feel the good changes in other ways - I'm so excited for you! Yay!!! And you are awesome for resisting the beef. Isn't it funny how the more we stick with it (W30) the less we want to do anything to mess it up?

Hi Vanessa, I wish I could say last night was as successful. Finally succomed to Ambien at 1:30 and was ble to sleep 2-6. Getting up for work puts a crimp in the natural rhythm of this experiment.

You're right about not wanting to mess it up. I love how I feel when I'm not exhausted. :)

Day 13: wow! Worst sleep since starting my Whole30. I'm going to have to power through work, hike and gearing gone from 7am- 8pm today.

I think that when I stick to protein, veggies, fruits and a few nuts, I don't sleep as well as when I have some sweet potato during the day. Don't know why but I noticed this before. I will cook up some tonight and add a bit to my dinners and see if it helps.

Yesterday I felt my first physical changes. Maybe I'm releasing a bit of weight? That would be an added bonus!

Goal today: be kind to myself and my office mates. Leave my cranky pants at home. Eat good, walk gently for 90 minutes in the woods. Walk to work this morning.

Bites:

1. Lamb patty (sadly last one), sautéed cabbage

2. Pork ribs, so darn yummy the way I baked them, green beans with a few sliced almonds, handful of cherries.

3. Meat or fish, veggies.

Yay! I love my food. Happy Monday to all. Let's all rock this Whole Week!

Day 13 observation. It takes soooo much less food to fill me up. I put my breakfast cabbage and lamb in a 12 ounce cup to heat it up this morning. It wasn't full. I could barely get through it. This is very strange to me. I feel full, not stuffed, but oh so satisfied. Amazing grace. Satisfied!!! This is cause for celebration. Not a fluke because I felt the same way yeterday. I wonder if I can keep this going if I just stick to my food plan? I hope so because it feels incredibly liberating!! I know I will be full until lunchtime.

I hope that the sweet potatoes did the trick, and that you slept like a baby last night. You are being so strong, to stick to the plan despite the lack of sleep. Hang in there, surely the sleep will improve with time!

I am also thrilled that you are feeling satisfied by your food. I know what a major thing that is. I've been left wanting by most of my meals for years, with the occasional "I'm so full that I feel awful." thrown in as the result of a binge. "Satisfied" is a really major accomplishment. Great for you! :D

That is a great feeling! My bad habit was to pick pick pick all day, filling myself with coffee, and then jam my mouth full of whatever I could get my hands on around five--and then eat dinner a couple hours later.

Feeling satisfied at meal times feels so good.

I am also thrilled that you are feeling satisfied by your food. I know what a major thing that is. I've been left wanting by most of my meals for years, with the occasional "I'm so full that I feel awful." thrown in as the result of a binge. "Satisfied" is a really major accomplishment. Great for you! :D

Thanks Vanessa! I got six hours of sleep last night so I'm far less tired this morning.

How are you with this food plan? Are you feeling satisfied?

That is a great feeling! My bad habit was to pick pick pick all day, filling myself with coffee, and then jam my mouth full of whatever I could get my hands on around five--and then eat dinner a couple hours later.

Feeling satisfied at meal times feels so good.

Heck yes to satisfaction! I did find myself hungry and wanting yesterday, right before my 90 minute walk. I ended up eating an ounce of raw nuts. Maybe it was that old mentality..... Food, protein will perk me up. I have to remember this next time and have a mini meal instead of just a ounce of nuts.

Yes, for the first time in years I am satisfied with my meals. But, I don't think my hunger signals have balanced out yet. I'm not really hungry at all, even at meal time. It is a really weird change, from being hungry all the time. Hopefully it will straighten out by the end of the 30 days.

I am glad that you slept better last night! I am continuing to cheer for you on the sleep issue!

Day 14: slept 6 hours. Feeling much better this morning!

I feel good. Getting in a long walk and a short walk each day. Work going well. My attention span is excellent. Not cranky. Emotions pretty level. Proud of the last 13 days and taking on this limiting challenge. Not really missing any particular food. Liking how I feel more than wanting anything to wreck my n=1.

Did I mention that the birds were exceptional at 5:00 am? They are joyful this morning, so I guess I will be too!

Bites:

1. Sausage and sautéed cabbage.

2. Chicken and green beans and watermelon

3. Trout, sweet potato, veggie or salad.

Yes, for the first time in years I am satisfied with my meals. But, I don't think my hunger signals have balanced out yet. I'm not really hungry at all, even at meal time. It is a really weird change, from being hungry all the time. Hopefully it will straighten out by the end of the 30 days.

I am glad that you slept better last night! I am continuing to cheer for you on the sleep issue!

Vanessa, I didn't feel less hungry until around Day 11 or 12. I think I started eating fattier meat and that helped keep me satisfied longer. Are you getting enough fat? I love not being hungry all the time!

I'm having a slump. My energy has drained out of me since walking to work. I'm craving caffiene but I already had my 1 alloted cup at 5am. I would like to just lay in the grass and watch the clouds drift by. Guess that's not happening! I only work until 4, then get to walk home, change and go meet a friend in the woods for a 75-90 minute walk. I can already tell, that will be the highlight of this day.

Maybe this is the dreaded slump. Either that or the sausage I ate for breakfast was too dense for me and my body is shutting down to process it. It was only around 4 oz. Should not effect me like that when eaten with a cup of sauteed cabbage.

from unstoppable to slumpy.... all in a matter of hours. *sigh*

Day 15: good morning world, I'm halfway there! I'm staying the course. I was exhausted yesterday. Energy just drained out of me. Dunno why and it doesn't matter or whether it will continue today. One foot in front of the other.

Subbing my one cup of coffee for a cup of caffeinated Earl Grey this morning. If I'm dragging, I may as well transition to tea. By the end of 30 days I'd like to see how I feel without morning caffeine. Then I can decide if I want it or not. Caffeine, 1 cup a day is a habit I picked up last year.

My hands are a touch inflamed this morning. Last night I ate homemade mango salsa over my trout. I ate 1T of jalapeño peppers (nightshade). Could that do it? Only other relatively new thing this season, a handful of cherries.

I was feeling leaner and not hungry over the weekend. Hunger is back and not feeling as lean. That's ok, this is a journey. Shedding 5 isn't the most important aspect of this, just a desired one!

Bites:

1. Welshire Andouille sausage, green beans. 1 decaf coffee, 1 caf earl grey, herbal tea and water rest of the day.

2. Green salad, chicken breast, balsamic, cherries, baby carrots

3. Trout, homemade mango salsa, green salad, balsamic

I bought a Kombucha yesterday. A friend swears by it as her daily afternoon cocktail. I tasted hers a few years ago and hated it. I'm not a fan of fermented beverages except occasional red wine. So many rave about kombucha that I thought I'd give it a taste today. I'd love the probiotic effects. I hope I like it!

Cheers!

I had a serious F it moment at lunch today. I think I am feeling a little sorry for myself, or maybe just a touch bored with my food, or the fact that I skipped that 1 cup of coffee this morning has effected me, or maybe the age of aquarias is here. Yeah I get the point, it could be any freakin thing. I bring my breakfast and lunch to the office daily. I don't stray because I hate disecting everything. I just wanted to get an organic beef burger for lunch, sans bun, add a salad, whala! I'd feel taken care of. What the heck is that about? I take good care of myself.

Maybe it's 10 hours sleep in two nights that just isn't enough to nourish me. I'm not cranky, just kinda wimpy feeling.

So I think that here on Day 15, i have to pay closer attention to make my lunch more appealing to me. Boring skinless chicken breast on a boring looking salad just doesn't call to me. I have to jazz it up a little.

I know it's about nourishment and not entertainment. I know I know I know... but I should WANT to eat it.

Day 15: Feeling rebellious, which is just like me! :)

It feels like I'm outing myself by putting up a pic. Feels like I'm making a "whole" commitment to this personal experiment in healing. I guess I'm in for the count. 15 down/15+Whatever to go.

Day 16: yesterday was rough. I would have off off roaded at lunch if I wasn't so committed. Glad I stuck to plan. Need to make lunch more interesting and satisfying than chicken breast on romaine. I never want to ff road when I have a lamb patty or ribs.

Second morning of tea not coffee. Slept 11-5:30. Still not enough but no ambien for several days now.

Woke with my hands swollen and inflamed. Not sure what to cut out. Options already limited. Hopefully it will pass. Yesterday I had 1/4 cup of dried unsweetened organic coconut flakes. Could I be sensitive to coconut? 1/2 cup of cherries shouldn't swell me. Oy Vey! What next?

Walk to work and home. Later a long walk. I love waking and hearing the morning birds! Joy!

Bites for the 16th:

1. Andouille sausage. I will be happy when these are gone. Only two more. Green beans. Tea and water all day.

2. Pork ribs that I baked. Yum! Salad and extra cut cucumber. Cherries.

3. Trout, big salad, sweet potato.

I think I will like today's plan.

Have a joyful day and find gratitude.

I love your photo.

I had a bored-with-my-food slump where you are. I think that's normal. In the beginning you are all excited and pumped and then it becomes a bit of a slog. But push through and t gets easier again.

At that point I started focusing on really simple meals a couple times a day. And I agree! Chicken on salad definitely is less appealing than a lamb patty. I can usually only eat chicken for dinner or I'm left unsatisfied.

And I bet a TB of jalapeños can indeed make a difference. As I wrote on the AIP thing or somewhere, my psoriasis instantly started itching after eating a strip of bell pepper. Which is crazy because I ate tons of peppers during my W30 and didn't notice any immediate effects.

I love your photo.

I had a bored-with-my-food slump where you are. I think that's normal. In the beginning you are all excited and pumped and then it becomes a bit of a slog. But push through and t gets easier again.

At that point I started focusing on really simple meals a couple times a day. And I agree! Chicken on salad definitely is less appealing than a lamb patty. I can usually only eat chicken for dinner or I'm left unsatisfied.

And I bet a TB of jalapeños can indeed make a difference. As I wrote on the AIP thing or somewhere, my psoriasis instantly started itching after eating a strip of bell pepper. Which is crazy because I ate tons of peppers during my W30 and didn't notice any immediate effects.

Oh goodness, I'm so happy to read that a food slump is normal. My ISWF is arriving today. I can't wait to dig into it.

My meals are already so simple but it works for me.

Maybe I reacted to 1T of jalapeños because I've been off them for two weeks. Sad thought. I love peppers!

Lovely photo calee :D I felt like I was feeling your pain when I read about your slump and wanting that burger. Was totally cheering you on when I got to the bit about not cracking and staying committed even when it was hard! You are going great. Here's to more strategic lunches so you don't have to go through it again!

Maybe we should have a make-the-most-delicious-meat-patty competition, where we have to come up with the tastiest patties possible and share the recipes. It doesn't even have to be competitive!

Lovely photo calee :D I felt like I was feeling your pain when I read about your slump and wanting that burger. Was totally cheering you on when I got to the bit about not cracking and staying committed even when it was hard! You are going great. Here's to more strategic lunches so you don't have to go through it again!

Maybe we should have a make-the-most-delicious-meat-patty competition, where we have to come up with the tastiest patties possible and share the recipes. It doesn't even have to be competitive!

Thank you percypat! I knew i would be so disappointed in myself if I ate a burger. An maybe even more I would have to write about it. I told myself I would be honest in my log. That helps me keep straight about what I can eat.

Meat patty!! I can't wait till I can add beef to my food choices. My friend makes the most heavenly lamb burgers in the world. For now they contain ingredients not on my list *sob*. She uses one egg in a pound of meat and also a few pine nuts. Along with herbs it's an outrageous concoction. Those will be first on my list when the time comes. Daily!!! :)

Day 16: I had a big big slump day. Hit my wall walking in the woods tonight. Letting go of coffee is a good thing. Right?

My ISWF arrived today. I've already started reading. I'm going to love this book.

Hoping for good sleep. Tomorrow is Friday! YAY!

Archived