Calee's Whole Whatever

calee

Beets, thanks for your comments. Truth is that I don't "need" a snack. I think I'm having a tough time giving up a bad habit.

I did read that nuts are not optimal. I have to break this 1 ounce a day habit. I had it at lunchtime today. I will only eat nuts with a meal and less than an ounce. Now the trick of controlling the hand to mouth movement. DANG! Truth is, I bet I would feel better without them.

How are they getting into your hand? :D

If you need to keep an emergency stash in your car or purse, whatever, do that. Otherwise hide them.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beet, I know you're right about the nuts. I think I'm feeling a little sorry for myself with the extra limitations on nightshades, beef, oranges and eggs. Beef and eggs were almost daily staples in my food plan.

This is where I get to meet the emotional component of my eating. :(

Day 7: had insomnia last night. Took 1/4 of an Ambien at 11:30, then slept until 5;30 when the alarm woke me. Feeling a little groggy with a bit of a headache. Maybe the Lamb sausage at 8 for dinner was too heavy, too late. It was too bad I didn't get home until 8 to eat. But the lamb was delish.

I see my crankypants in the corner but I'm not going to put them on. It's olo out so my walk to work at 6:45 should clear my head.

I did better on cashews yesterday. Less than an ounce and they were added to my lunch. I like the crunch in a salad.

I'm going to a 6:30 film at the Film Festival tonight. I'm going to eat at 5 before I go so that I don't eat so late.

1. Ground pork patty, sautéed cabbage. 1 coffee, 1 decaf, herbal tea the rest of the morning.

2. Grilled chicken, avocado, carrot, radishes, roasted broccoli. Shredded coconut.

3. Lamb burger, some sort of veggie. Maybe green beans.

I'm starting to miss my beef a little. I can do this!

Holy Cow. I didn't feel well today. Not sick, just digestively challenged. I ate brunch at 11:30. Carnitas and avocado. Shortly after I threw up, then threw up, then threw up.

3:30 I walked 5k. Now eating some watermelon to hydrate. I think it will stay down.

Going to a film tonight. Will take water. Might need a snack but will wait till I get home. Seems like my tummy could use a food break. Clearly the lamb burger will wait till tomorrow!

• Moderators

So sorry about the tummy upset. No fun at all.

General wisdom I've gathered is that if weight loss is a goal, nuts and fruit are not your friend. Especially if they're pushing veggies, meat and healthy fats off your plate.

So sorry about the tummy upset. No fun at all.

General wisdom I've gathered is that if weight loss is a goal, nuts and fruit are not your friend. Especially if they're pushing veggies, meat and healthy fats off your plate.

Thanks LadyM, I'm working my way off the nuts. None on day 7. I appreciate all the advice I'm receiving here!

Hope you feel better soon calee! Any ideas as to what's bothering your tummy?

Thank you! I started feeling better last night. I have been eating more fresh sausage. I don't have a gall bladder. I wonder if that can effect how I feel after eating higher fat? Strange though yesterday I got sick after freshly prepared carnitas and avocado.

This is all a learning curve, and I'm enjoying it! How are you doing?

Darn autocorrect!

Day8: no headache. Slept 6 hours but needed 1/4 of an ambien to get to sleep. I tried for over an hour but couldn't drift off.

Seven days sticking to plan. Only one exception was tomato based cioppino at a restauant where the fish was fresh that morning on the pier. No excuses, just a choice, knowing that tomatoes are Whole30 approved.

I'm hoping my stomach upset of yesterday doesn't return. I'm feeling good other than a bit tired this morning.

1. Ground sausage patty, steamed cabbage, 1 coffee, 1 decaf, herbal tea and water the rest of the day.

2. Turkey sausage, roasted broccoli, baby carrots. A few cherries.

3. Lamb burger made with less than 1Tbsp pine nuts and spices, green beans, small Manila mango.

Walk to work. Maybe a long walk later today.

I'm so glad you are feeling better. I've heard that having your gall-bladder out can mean some foods upset you (but totally along the grapevine, and not from someone who's had their gall bladder out either). And who knows, maybe it was just a wee bug? In any case, fingers crossed it doesn't come back!

Food looks yum :)

Things going well here, still riding the wave of noobie enthusiasm I think! But I'll take it!

I decided to eat my dinner. Just smaller amounts. I think a couple things are happening. 1. The fat in my food is keeping me full. 2. I'm eating less carbs which aren't fueling cravings.

Win-Win!

Day 9: slept 11-5:30. Lots of energy at sleep time. Another night of 1/4 ambien. Woke with slight pressure in my head, probably ambien from to enough sleep hours for it to wear off. I think the result I would like most during this WholeWhatever is improved ability to sleep.

Interesting observation last night. In the past 24 years, since being blood tested for food allergies (beef, eggs, oranges) when I indulge too much in those foods, I get a patch of red eczema type skin on the right side of my nose. I haven't ingested those foods during the last 8 days, but last night noticed that patch of skin flaring.

Two foods that I am eating more to compensate for the beef and eggs are pork and lamb.

I would love any light that anyone can shed. Is this to be expected during detox?

Thanks! Let's all have a fun day! :)

Day 9 Bites: I'm trying Ghee today for the first time. I got Organic Ghee in the fridge section of Whole Foods. It doesn't say on it whether it needs to be kept in the fridge. It was tough to scoop out a teaspoon to put on my cabbage. I'll have to see if I like the taste.

I'm still wating to weigh and measure my food, as well as my body. It's a tough habit to break after decades of doing it daily. I'm working on it.

1. homemade pork sausage patty, sauteed cabbage with a little ghee on it. Not sure I'll like the taste so didn't put much on. 1 coffee, 1 decaf, now decaf tea and water the rest of the day. I want to drink more fluids.

2. Rosemary lamb sausage, romaine, onions, avocado, olives, EVOO, lemon, carrot. A few cherries that are left.

3. Artichoke, Lamb burger, raw sauerkraut, romaine if I want crunch.

Yesterday less than an ounce of nuts. Today none. I would like to limit nuts and fruit and see how I feel.

At 8am still have a touch of the headache I had at 5:30 when I woke up. I'm sure it will leave soon! I'm really pleased with how I generally feel. Eating is relatively easy as I prepare all my own food. I enjoy everything I'm eating! It's really not far from how I've eaten in the past, just now without several food groups. There's still so much deliciousness to enjoy.

Day 9 End of the Day.

I can't believe it's been nine days. The best part is that I'm not craving any foods. Tonight after dinner the thought of 1 square of dark chocolate flitted through my mind, but it came and went in a flash. Sometimes a feel a little bit of "emotional foodie tension" come through me. When that happens I leave my desk and take a short walk. I think what I'm really feeling is just a touch bored and antsy. I get tired of looking at my computer screen for 8 hours so the mini breaks do me good.

So it's all good here. Looking forward to a good sleep. When the sleep gets good, I will know that I'm healing from the inside out.

Day 10: feeling good this morning. Need to get ready for work and take my walk. Going to get in a longer walk tonight.

I'll come back later with my bites.

1. Sausage patty, sautéed cabbage, 1coffee, decaf tea.

2. Lamb patty, I say patty because I think of burger as big, but these are less than 4 oz. doesn't qualify in the "bigness" of a burger. Cut veggies, Japanese sweet potato.

3. Lamb patty, green beans, zucchini, mashed avocado, apple, 2 cashews.

Wow, after reading your log, it strikes me that you and I have been down many of the same paths. I am inspired by your success! You are having to put in additional effort to eliminate the foods that don't work for you, but it sounds like you are devising fabulous meals. I also had coffee with real cream every morning pre-W30. After starting W30 I had plain black coffee a few mornings, and it wasn't terrible, but now I add a touch of coconut milk to mine - an improvement over black. I've been decreasing the amount of coffee a little each day, as I'd like to get rid of the caffeine just to see how I feel without it. I also enjoy my nuts, but am trying to eliminate them as well. And fruit, oh, what a joy to have a little fruit - I've not had much of it for years either. And the scale - that evil device that has tortured us for so long - why is it so hard to part with it? I suffer with this too. Hang in there - you can find both health and peace! :)

Hey Vanessa, thanks for dropping by. Having support on this journey makes it so much easier. Yes, those darn nuts are a challenge. I got through yesterday with just two cashews. Silly right, two?

Day 11: yay! Slept like crap. Fell asleep after hours of trying. Looking at the clock at 1. Woke every hour until I gave in to reading at 6. Yearning for my 1/4 of an ambien. Sigh. But how will I know if sleep is improving if I take the pill? The weekend is a good time to test as I don't have to devote 8 hours to computer spreadsheets today.

I'm not feeling less fluffy. I've been eating a lot of pork and lamb. About 9-10 ounces total per day, but it feels heavy. I wish I were feeling more drawn to fish and chicken, but I'm not. Maybe I will eat thm anyways!

9am 5k walk in the woods with friends to start my day. Looking forward to it.

1. After walk. Leftovers! Lamb patty, sautéed cabbage. Not sure what else.

2. New type sausage from Whole Foods.

3. I think going out with a friend. Will pick upscale so the meat is organic. I haven't had beef in 10 days. I may eat a burger and a salad. Always easy to find that of good quality these days.

I'm drinking 1coffee, 1 decaf, then water and herbal tea the rest of the day. I wanted less caffeine, but after that crappy sleep I decided to go for it. One challenge at a time is enough!

Well done on staying off the ambien and hopefully you will see an improvement soon! I imagine it's quite normal to have a bit of rebound insomnia when stopping the pills, but hopefully that will pass and you will see a difference :)

Well done on staying off the ambien and hopefully you will see an improvement soon! I imagine it's quite normal to have a bit of rebound insomnia when stopping the pills, but hopefully that will pass and you will see a difference :)

Thanks percypat! I appreciate the support. I may have to continue using them some. Perhaps when my hormones come into balance my sleep will improve. Doing the food part of the Whole30 can be a challenge in and of itself. I hope you're doing great!

End of Day 11:

I did end up going to dinner with a friend tonight. I wasn't that into it because I was just taking some baked pork ribs out of the oven. Oh well, it was more important to get out and see this friend. Felt good to dress up a bit.

Meal 3: I said I might have a burger for dinner but when it came time to order, I just couldn't do it. I've been clean off the beef and didn't want to do it. I did however have a little broth with tomato in it. I ended up with baby clams in the shell, bits of calamari and chorizo in a tomatoey broth, hold that huge hunk of amazing looking sourdough bread please. We were sitting at he bar and everyone seemed to be ordering that tonight. For a moment I glanced at the bread, ok, longingly glanced at the bread, but realized that it just didn't have that much attraction. Far less than the cute guy sitting at the bar alone having dinner!

I came home feeling like I hadn't missed a thing. Except those ribs of course. I know what's for dinner tomorrow night!

That would be fair enough too ... It's enough of a change overhauling your diet, we can't be expected to do everything at once!

Still feeling a bit bleugh but I'm pretty sure it's the increased dose in my meds. My husband reminded me yesterday that it's heavy-duty medication - this is what they give to people who have organ or limb transplants - and told me to go easy on myself while we beat my immune system into submission! At least it's not affecting my will to stay on the program :)

That would be fair enough too ... It's enough of a change overhauling your diet, we can't be expected to do everything at once!

Still feeling a bit bleugh but I'm pretty sure it's the increased dose in my meds. My husband reminded me yesterday that it's heavy-duty medication - this is what they give to people who have organ or limb transplants - and told me to go easy on myself while we beat my immune system into submission! At least it's not affecting my will to stay on the program :)

Oh please be really patient and gentle with yourself while you're on these awful sounding meds. They must be wreaking some havoc in your body. Get lots of good sources of kindness and love to help keep you on your path.i hope you don't have to stay on it much longe!

Archived