Calee's Whole Whatever

calee

I've been suspecting my sweet pot intake has been adversely affecting me. But I don't want to face that. But I think I have to. Something is making me bloated and gassy. I thought it was kombucha, but now I'm thinking sweet pot. Boo!

Beets, who would ever suspect a lovely sweet potato of causing problems? I will be very sad if that turns out to be true. I'm sorry for both of us!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 21 Wrap: what a wonderful day after the last week in slumpville. I was overjoyed to have energy again. I felt so adventurous that I tried Kombucha. Loved it! I had enough energy to walk 75 minutes in the woods. I got tired but I made it. I got a tummy ache on my walk so dinner wasn't very big. I'm looking forward to good sleep tonight.

Bites:

1. Sausage link, cabbage, sweet potato. Got a stuffy nose afterwards.

1/2 bottle of kombucha

2. 2 baby back ribs, green salad, watermelon

3. Artichoke, a few bites of roasted cauliflower, peach

Yay for internal healing! I can't wait to see the next surprise my body has in store for me, but I'd appreciate a couple days of good energy if I'm going to have another hurdle like the last one.

I so appreciate the community support here!

Oh fun, I'm glad you liked the kombucha! I love how even though we're in completely different parts of the world (I'm not even on the Pacific side of Australia) we've managed to share some new experiences on our Whole 30 journeys :D

So so glad the energy is back for you. Knew it would come ... eventually :)

Oh fun, I'm glad you liked the kombucha! I love how even though we're in completely different parts of the world (I'm not even on the Pacific side of Australia) we've managed to share some new experiences on our Whole 30 journeys :D

So so glad the energy is back for you. Knew it would come ... eventually :)

Me too! I'm learning so much from everyone here. I like this better than Mark's Daily Apple for this project. I looked in on the WHOLE 30 thread there yesterday. I mentioned to someone that white potatoes aren't Whole30. He responded that they are on his Whole30. Today someone was eating white rice for tea time. I'm steering clear for now. The responses on that thread pop up in my email. I like the structure and how committed people are here to following protocol. And such helpful mods. Not to mention, all you cool people!!

Day 22: slept 5.25 hours, woke to the alarm. Slight head tension, hands quite inflamed. Food that was different yesterday than usual: artichoke, kombucha 1st time. I will drink rest of kombucha bottle today and look for how I feel.

It's freezing here this morning. For N.Ca anyhow. Jumped up at 4:30 to shut the window. Thought I'd be awake but went right back to sleep till the alarm at 5:20. Cozy here in bed with my tea. I don't want to shower and walk to work.

Work day. It will fly by and be fine. Walking a 5k around the lake with a friend tonight. Will try to be asleep before 11 tonight.

Feeling sad. Ended it with the guy I was seeing. Will need to play fridge monitor around my food and desire to snack for comfort. I didn't last night and have to watch that I don't get mindless about what eating. I like food plan well enough and have a bucket of food options. I think when I'm sad I crave sweet. Funny but the first food that comes to mind is watermelon. I guess that's good. Not chocolate etc. I will add a bit of watermelon to my actual food plan.

Bites:

1. Sausages sautéed cabbage, kombucha

2. Ribs, roasted cauliflower, watermelon, olives

3. Artichoke, salad, protein but not sure which one.

A beef burger is the only food I'm missing. Nice juicy good quality beef. Ok, topped with bacon! I guess that's not a bad craving on day 22!

I'm sure there will be another guy around the corner, from what I can gather from your posts you're one hell of a catch :)

Thank you Derval! I just discovered your log earlier today. I was having fun looking at your food pics.

I did ok today. Have the rest of the bottle of Kombucha I bought yesterday. After lunch I started feeling sick to my stomach. I didn't eat too much and was surprised when I threw up. I actually crawled in bed when I got home from work and just read until 7 when I went out to walk my 5k around the lake with a friend. Couldn't face dinner until 9 and decided to just have a small sweet potato which I find soothing. I didn't want more irritation. So I guess the healing continues. Maybe my body is telling me something about kombucha? That would be strange.

Meeting tomorrow until 5 so I get to go in at 8:30 instead of 7. Yay for more sleep and then a longer morning walk.

Oh my, how unpleasant. This is so strange, but it is not uncommon that body is not used to this amount of probiotics. I can't recall from your log if you eat any of the fermented foods, guess not. Some people who are not used to fermented foods may experience so called die-off symptoms. Die-off is when the body is strongly reacting to all of the good probiotics eliminating the bad bacteria in your gut.

Most common are headaches and extreme exhaustion. It may be connected. I hope it's not a stomach bug.

Fingers crossed for a new test and maybe some beef on horizon!

Calee - so sorry to hear about your break up....and your throw up....

last night I ate some saurkraut and a sweet potato and some sausage...and felt yuck, and swollen and my joints hurt. I wonder if I was having the same die off from the saurkraut!

I know I have lousey gut stuff!

thanks for sharing so open and freely!

Oh my, how unpleasant. This is so strange, but it is not uncommon that body is not used to this amount of probiotics. I can't recall from your log if you eat any of the fermented foods, guess not. Some people who are not used to fermented foods may experience so called die-off symptoms. Die-off is when the body is strongly reacting to all of the good probiotics eliminating the bad bacteria in your gut.

Most common are headaches and extreme exhaustion. It may be connected. I hope it's not a stomach bug.

Fingers crossed for a new test and maybe some beef on horizon!

Hi Nadia, I wondered the same thing. I eat raw sauerkraut from a local source (but sold at whole foods) pretty regularly but for some reason haven't been drawn to it this month. I'm sure last week was a big die off because I was so dang exhausted! Maybe my body just wanted to hang with the Kombucha and not have lunch thrown in there with it. If the vomiting is another sign of healing I can hang with it for now. I'm trying to not judge my physical reactions right now because over the weekend when I judged my exhaustion I wanted to fix it. I think that right now I just need to be my own best observer and listen to good advice being offered. :)

I will test my tummy gently this morning.

Calee - so sorry to hear about your break up....and your throw up....

last night I ate some saurkraut and a sweet potato and some sausage...and felt yuck, and swollen and my joints hurt. I wonder if I was having the same die off from the saurkraut!

I know I have lousey gut stuff!

thanks for sharing so open and freely!

Aww Christi, that's so sweet. Breakup was what was right for me. It wasn't appropriate for me. What's right won't walk in the door while hanging on to what's wrong, kind of like our food on Whole30. We let go of foods to experience something better.

Are you eating nuts? I found some inflation eating them. I had a bad reaction to coconut as well. See if you can find what might be inflaming you. I'm abstaining from nightshades to reduce inflammation during Whole 30, then will add back 1 at a time later.

I hope you feel good today!

Day 23: So excited! Slept 10:30-6:30. Woke without the alarm. Glad I'm working at 8:30 this morning so I could have the extra hour of sleep. I get in another 45 minute walk as my meeting is further from home. Things worked out perfectly. Everyone is meeting at 9 but I don't need to be there for the first hour when they will be chewing down on bagels and coffee. One of my Primal slips into grains was at tat meeting in March. Maybe I will start viewing bagels as the non food they should be for me. I get instant bloat and big inflammation in my hands from wheat.

My mom was celiac. While I haven't seen my doctor in close to two years, I recently emailed and asked her to test me.

Slight pressure in my head this morning. Not hungry like I was the last two mornings. Sipping tea in bed with my iPad. Hands are a little more inflamed than yesterday.

Bites:

1. Sweet potato. Want to keep it easy on tummy this morning. I will not ingest bagel or coffee. I will take herbal tea bags with me.

2. Everyone will go out and bring back food. Subway, fried chicken, burritos. Nothing that I want to put into me. I made a lovely green salad with EVOO and cold salmon. That will keep me until I get home at 5:45.

3. Artichoke, rib if I feel good. Roasted cauliflower. Rambutan! Love them.

It's a cold morning with sunshine. I'm so lucky to get to walk to work! Happy Thursday Whole Peeps!

Sounds like you are feeling better after being sick yesterday ... Hope today is a good one for you :) Yay for that big sleep!

I hope you and kombucha can be friends, since you enjoyed drinking it! Hopefully Nadia's theory is the right one - I read that kombucha beginners should start with small amounts and divided up my first bottle over the course of the day (and I am someone with a famously cast-iron stomach. I think I must have eaten a lot of dirt as a child because I never get sick from food).

Yum, rambutans :) Reminds me of when I was little and my family lived in Brunei for a stretch. Love tropical fruit!

Aww Christi, that's so sweet. Breakup was what was right for me. It wasn't appropriate for me. What's right won't walk in the door while hanging on to what's wrong, kind of like our food on Whole30. We let go of foods to experience something better.

I love this! So very wise!

Hey Calee,

I haven't been having nuts, I'm wondering if the kraut wasn't as compliant, or the sausage, idk.

I wonder about a med, and then benedryl caused inflammation! Arrgg, if not one thing is ten, eh?

Hope your day has gone well. You recognize the pitfalls, and have a great plan!

Bagels have always been a breakfast temptation for me too! They've been one of my non-foods for a couple of years now, so I know what you mean. Glad you're looking after yourself!

Thank you Terresa! My victory today was not that I abstained from eating a bagel(s), but that I sat back and watched others without a hint of desire. It held zero emotion.

Bagels are my heritage and to feel completely divorced emotionally came as a surprise!

Hey Calee,

I haven't been having nuts, I'm wondering if the kraut wasn't as compliant, or the sausage, idk.

I wonder about a med, and then benedryl caused inflammation! Arrgg, if not one thing is ten, eh?

Hope your day has gone well. You recognize the pitfalls, and have a great plan!

I deliberately stripped my food plan of many things so that I could try to figure out what causes the inflammation.

I drive the butcher nuts with all my questions. :)

Maybe stop one thing for a few days and see if you feel better?

Day 23: check! Ate compliant, walked 45 minutes this morning then 75 in the woods tonight. In bed at 10 hoping for a good sleep till 5:15.

Proud of myself for having a plan today. Tomorrow is day 10 of my 10 day AIP. I think I will continue on.

Nitey nite and sweet dreams.

Day 24: decent sleep. I think I wake every morning with some pressure in my head. Nose felt really dry last night. Woke twice to p which means I'm not retaining fluids. Want to remember to hydrate today. I've felt so many different ways on this Whole30. Never fabulous, several slumpy days, a few cranky pants days but those were generally after not enough sleep. Today is day 10 of AIP. Will continue because there's no downside to doing so. Walk to work and back, then tonight walking another 3 miles. Walking downtown to hear some live music.food trucks are there as well. Not sure if there's anything I can eat there.

Bites:

1. Sausage w sautéed cabbage, baby carrots.

2. Salad, EVOO, topped with chicken

3. Not sure but will be on plan.

Day 25: slept well but woke up a little cranky and swollen.

Morning run to the butcher, veggie place. The butcher that told me about the Duck Fat told me he stores it in the freezer and it tays good forever. Just run under war, eater and scoop out what I need. Did I mention that he's adorable with the best accent. Wales? Not sure but I wanted to take him home! Came home loaded with bones, ground lamb, ground pork, ground turkey, lamb chops and ingredients for chicken liver/duck fat/ cranberry pate! Lots of organic sweet potatoes and assorted veggies.

It's May kombucha sale! I got six or seven magnificent flavors. $1.99 a bottle on sale instead of the $3.99 at the market across from my office. I think I got a dozen! Yay.

Followed shopping with a 90 minute walk in the woods with a girlfriend and her two dogs. More big hills than I've walked since my big slump a week ago.

Bites:

1. Banana at the store, patty of ground turkey sausage mix. Cauliflower.

2. Lamb chop, sauerkraut, rambutan. Sorry they're gone now!

3. Not sure. Going out with two girlfriends at 8. I might need a mini plate between meal 2&3 because dinner will be so late. I hope we go to the tapas place with outrageous jumbo shrimp in oil. I just have to push the bread away.

It's a great day. Going up to pick up my new kindle fire. My old kindle died after 7 years. Love new toys.

I just had a split-second romantic fantasy: you and the Welsh butcher.

OMG, if wishes could come true, i would sit here wishing all day. I know I will be hitting that place first thing Saturday mornings from here out. They have a lot of men at that meat counter. Berkeley Bowl is the Whole Foods competition here. Same products, better prices.

Archived