Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

I'm sorry your tummy is being mean to you. I wish I had answers. Keep in mine that not all W30 foods agree with everyone. Even when I'm eating compliantly I have tummy issues from time to time. But far less than the daily heart burn and gas I used to have.

We had a total of 4 trick or treaters and I bought 2 bags of organic gummy bears (40 packs in total) so suffice to say I ate a few of those last night myself. Like you, much less candy than Halloweens past.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of calm eating. The Whole 30 and paleo-ish eating has been good to me, but there can be a restrictive/disordered (for me) side to it, too. In Buddhism there is a saying about what we're aiming for in meditation: "not too tight, not too loose."

Well, so much for calm eating.  I guess that's too much like moderation. LOL  The weekend included wine, pizza and candy.  Sigh.  And, like always, one candy led to much candy.  Sugar is so bad.  So, I'm trying to get back on the bike today (yesterday was actually pretty good, too) with a goal of no sugar this week.  That's it.  I have dinner out planned for Saturday, so from now until then, no sugar.  I can do that.  No other restrictions.  Just eat calmly and no sugar.  Oh, and no eggs.  I'm trying to see if eggs don't like me.  My last eggs were, I think, last Thursday.  But, I can't tell if no eggs makes me feel better if I'm also eating all kinds of other junk.  So, no sugar, no eggs. 

Yesterday, I made up a week's worth of breakfasts and lunches.  Ground turkey, kale and squash for breakfasts.  Date shallot rosemary chicken with brussels for lunches.  So, I'm all set for a calm eating week as long as I don't start on the sugar.  If I don't start, I don't have to get myself to stop, right?  Just say no to candy!

Sunday (Day1) - no eggs, no sugar, but too much nutbutter, will watch that the rest of the week

Monday (Day 2) - no eggs, no sugar

I have had a week of no sugar and coffee now and am just starting to enjoy the flavour of real food again and feel good about nourishing my body. My skin is still messed up from the gluten, dairy and sugar the week before so I am not keen to go down that path again in a hurry! Stick it out for the week Jen and you will feel the difference again!

So far so good.  No dessert or snacking.  I licked my finger instictively after serving up leftover ice cream cake to my husband and son and had to go brush my teeth to get the sugar taste out of my mouth before it drove me into the candy bucket.  Tonight, husband can do the serving up!  Funny how the kids have already moved on from the candy.  It will be moved out soon.  I went to hot yoga last night and that was lovely.

Going to vote now.

Day 3 - no sugar, no eggs!

Yay Jen! Keep going! I'm so miffed at myself about the voting thing. I tried to update my license and voters registration right when we moved and got a "we can't do this online you have to come in" and then kept forgetting to do it. Because we changed counties and I didn't do it in time I don't get to vote. With I-522 on the ballot this makes me especially miffed. :(

That's a bummer!  Why can't you register at the polling place?  I'm pretty sure we can same day register.  That is frustrating!  We didn't have anything big to vote on.  Just (uncontested) mayor and city council for our tiny town.  I did my duty anyway. :) 

That's a bummer!  Why can't you register at the polling place?  I'm pretty sure we can same day register.  That is frustrating!  We didn't have anything big to vote on.  Just (uncontested) mayor and city council for our tiny town.  I did my duty anyway. :)

We don't having polling locations anymore in Washington, it's all mail in ballots which means you have to be registered 30 days prior to the election. I think my last few have not counted either because the signature on my license is the "I just got married and this is my new name" signature and looks nothing like my current one. Really must get this license thing dealt with soon anyway.

My stomach is still weird.  Not as bad as last week, but just weird.  I get hungry right before meals, but then feel overstuffed and off until the next meal.  I'm not really sure what to do about it.  I am still avoiding eggs to see if that helps and am still avoiding sugar.  I'm not doing anything different from the past 7 months.  Still taking enzymes.  Still drinking kombucha.  Either of those could cause stomach issues, I suppose, but they're supposed to help and are not new at this point.  Very frustrating.  This week, I've been eating ground turkey, squash and kale for breakfast and shallot date chicken with brussels for lunch.  None of those foods are new.  I've had lots of salads, as usual.  Salmon last night.  Beef the night before (which might not agree with me, but isn't that often that it should cause daily stomach weirdness).  Since the Saturday offroad into pizza, wine and candy, I haven't had anything not W30.  If I could think of the most tummy happy foods possible, I could just eat those for a few days.  Any ideas?

Have you pH tested your kombucha?  I have been tempted to get some strips to make sure mine has "eaten" all the sugar.  Any chance that is the issue?  Maybe try no eggs and no homemade kombucha?

Sorry you are not feeling fabulous :(.

Have you pH tested your kombucha?  I have been tempted to get some strips to make sure mine has "eaten" all the sugar.  Any chance that is the issue?  Maybe try no eggs and no homemade kombucha?

Sorry you are not feeling fabulous :(.

No homeade kombucha!!!!  Horrors!  :)  I actually might have some ph strips.  I will have to look up what it's supposed to be, first, but it might be worth looking into.  Do you think that the colder weather is making my 7 day booch not fully done and that could be causing the stomach weirdness?  Hmmm...  I'll do some looking.  Thanks for the idea.

Weird about your stomach.  

Probiotics?  I've been taking those and have stopped the digestive enzymes unless I eat something and feel bloated.

I figured the kombucha gave me proiotics, but, you're right that I could try supplementing with some.  I will look into that, too.  Thanks!

Kale and Brussels sprouts are hard to digest, are you having more than usual? The offroading could have disrupted your gut bacteria, its taken me two weeks to recover from a couple of days of mild offroading on dairy, gluten and sugar

Kale has been a staple forever.  Brussels are back fairly recently.  It could be that they don't agree with me.  That would be sad.  It could be from the Halloween weekend offroading, but my stomach was actually worse before that.  Weird. 

Thanks for the ideas.  Any other ideas are welcome! 

Last week, I'd say my stomach mildly hurt most of the time.  This week, it's more that I'm always aware of it.  It doesn't hurt, but it's always there.  Does that make any sense?  It's annoying. 

I'm looking at the FODMAP list. There are plenty of them that were not part of my summer rotation that are showing up more now, like brussels and apples, but there are also plenty that were part of my summer rotation, like avocado and watermelon. It might be worth trying to avoid them for a while.  I'll think on that and maybe change things up after the weekend.  My mom is visiting this weekend and we have plans to eat out a couple times, so it's just easier to start something new on Monday.  In the meantime, I can come up with a plan for next week and do some reasearch on the ph of kombucha and add'l probiotics.  Full court press! LOL

I ate some sugared cashews yesterday.  They are a snack that my husband gets at a meeting he has a couple times a quarter.  He knows I love them so he always brings some home wrapped in a napkin.  I know where to buy them, but I will never buy a whole bag because they are addictive.  So, though they aren't special in that I could get them anytime I want, they are special in that I don't often get a small manageble portion handed to me.  And they are delicious.  I'm ok with it.  Back to no sugar today.

On that note, tonight I am making an evil concoction called candy bar bars.  I am stating here for the record that I will not nibble, taste, sample, lick my finger, etc.  I will not eat ANY!  I know from experience that if I start nibbling, I'll nibble all night, feel ill and be mad at myself.  I will make them tonight and send 1/2 the batch to the hunting shack and 1/2 the batch to the church bake sale and not keep any at home!  Having to confess to the world tomorrow will hopefully keep me honest.  They are not worth it.

I have had to extend my booch cycle to 14 days with the weather!  Now, this has just been based off taste, not pH.

I think this has been mentioned before, but make sure you are drinking enough water, especially with all that hot yoga you are doing.

I am drinking boatloads of water.  Maybe not enough on weekends, but I try hard.

I tried cutting back on the enzymes and the "not regular" thing came back so I determined that I still need them. 

Looking at the FODMAP list, my lunches this week of date shallot chicken with brussels has an awful lot of them! And lots of broccoli last week.  And leeks.  It's worth a try.

I made the candy bar bars without so much as a finger lick!  Yay me!  They looked so good!  But, I don't regret not eating any. 

Per usual, despite not eating any junk, I feel like I gained 10 lbs over night.  Just looking at sweets apparently is enough to make me bloated and gassy.  Sigh.  Actually, I had leftover stir fry from the freezer for dinner that included broccoli and cauliflower rice.  Coincidence?  I'm kind of excited to try the no FODMAP thing starting Monday. 

I am fodmap sensitive but can tolerate small amounts of some things like a serve of cauli each week. But I made cauli rice which I ate on consecutives days and have been continuously bloated of course.... Watermelon...same thing... okay one day, not good back to back.

Good luck with the fodmap free eating. I must say, that prior to whole30 eating, the only other time I have been digestive issue free was when I was doing a trial that required a strict fodmap free diet for a few weeks.... in fact this was probably better than whole30 for digestive issues as I have issues with some whole30 foods tummy wise but the protein, fats and no grains of whole30 keep my iron, vitamin d and b levels etc into the normal health range

I am very angry at myself.  Last night, I went for a lovely dinner out with my mom.  It was a prix fix menu that included a little of everything plus wine.  The portions were reasonable and the food was delicious and the restaurant was quaint.  Then, I came hom and binged on candy.  I probably ate a dozen pieces of Halloween candy going through the kitchen over and over when nobody was looking.  Classic binge behavior.  I was thinking I better have more now because tomorrow I'll be back on the wagon.  Argh!  I'm so disappointed that I couldn't just enjoy my offroad and be done.  Sigh.  I woke up at 4, like I seem to whenever I drink wine, have an unhappy tummy and spent a couple hours tossing and turning and mentally beating myself up.  I know that doesn't do any good.  I need to let it go, move on and be kind to myself.  I'm just so disappointed.  I know wine is a bad idea.  It leads to bad eating and bad sleep.  I'm sad to think I can't even have one glass without bad results.  Sad! 

Okay, enough whining.  Today will be lovely.  It includes a long walk with my mom to get coffee (BRRRR  It's cold out!) and hot yoga later.  Maybe some shopping if the kids will tolerate it.  Food will be nourishing if not W30.  My 9yo wants to learn how to make egg rolls, so we're going to do that later (wheat in the wrappers, FODMAP filling, sweet dipping sauce, at least we're baking them instead of frying).  I will absolutely not have any wine or desserts, though.  Then, tomorrow, I will start my no FODMAP experiment.  I'm also thinking of cutting out hm kombucha for a bit.  I should be able to keep eating calm and no fuss until Thanksgiving.  No occasions to offroad.  No need for wine.  Sigh.  I like wine.  Sad.

Archived