Jen's Post W30 Log

pjena

Happy Monday.  I did ok over the weekend, but am starting NS over today with day 1.  I managed to get through the party not eating or drinking anything.  I was very happy about that.  I did, though, have some trail mix both days that had sugar in it and I want to do this NS thing really clean without "cheating" myself.  So, today is NS1.  The trail mix is gone and I won't buy more.  Besides the sugar, the nuts aren't my tummy's best friend, anyway.  My main goal for the week is no candy!  Not one bite of Halloween candy this year.  NS will make that easier.  I know that once I get myself into the routine/habit of just not having sugar, it will be easier.  It's this starting over thing that's tough.  With day 1 today, I have 66 days to the end of the year.  I will allow myself to have dessert at the holiday meals (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day) and 3 other worth it times over the holidays.  That leaves 60 days with no sugar between now and the end of the year.  That's doable and I shouldn't feel deprived.  Halloween candy is NEVER worth it.  A spectacular Christmas dessert may be worth it.  I just need to get back into that mindset.  And cross my fingers I don't have to travel again! 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My tummy is kind of upset.  I'm bloated, weight is up and I just feel "off".  That happens sometimes.  It's probably a delayed reaction to traveling and just not eating that clean the past two weeks (too much dairy and other stuff probably in restaurant meals, and trail mix).  And it will pass.  I just have to wait it out.  It's annoying, though.  And, still after all this time, I still want to feed an "active" tummy.  I know it won't help, but the feeling is still there.  So, starting right now, I am going to wait it out by eating super clean and simple.  I also am not going to stress about it. 

I skipped yoga last night because I wasn't feeling great and wanted to get to bed early.  I'm going to make sure to go tonight, though.  I'm sure it will help.

A little better, but still off.  I think I need to start my allergy pills/nose spray.  Allergies might be part of feeling off.  And, sometimes, I just have weeks like this.  I did have too much dairy lately - yogurt, cream in coffee, cheese - that could also be part of it.  I just need to get back into my groove and I'm sure I'll feel great soon. 

They sanded yesterday and while they did a great job *trying* to keep the dust contained, there is dust EVERYWHERE!  Ick.  I think, though, that the messiest parts are mostly done.  They paint primer today and then start putting in cabinets and doing tile. 

Very true.  The dust and dirt and just general out of routine stress could definitely be part of feeling "off".  Head is stuffy today.  Could be dust.  Or outside mold/hayfever.  Or dairy.  Or a cold.  Too many variables!

Great yoga class yesterday.  I got to be the demo-er of pincha!  I was kind of excited to be asked.  I showed the class how to do it walking up the wall and then kicking up to the wall.  I still can't do it without the wall (that will take a while), but it felt good to be complimented on my form. :)  Silly, but still feels good.  We also worked on crow for a while and I held it for a long time.  Super fun.

Eating is pretty good.  No sugar temptations.  Some nutbutter dipping - need to watch that.  Some fruit, but it's honeycrisp season.  I have been grazing while waiting for dinner.  I want to watch that and try to just wait for dinner.  Little tweaks.

My head feels better today.  I'm trying to remember my nasal spray and allergy pill.  I think that will help. 

Lower cabinets go in today and tomorrow!  So exciting!

Plan today is to eat a lot. :)  I realized that perhaps my snacky / grazing thing is not only a result of bad habits reset during my travels but also because I haven't been eating my sweet potato at breakfast.  I got out of the habit.  I had some not that hungry days and then lots of traveling and then had to toss the ones I had and forgot to buy more.  Anyway, I cooked up an acorn squash last night for dinner and had half this morning with CB to make up for no sw pots.  I'm hoping that will set me up for a not hungry / not snacky day.  Being snacky or hungry or graze-y will not help my effort to resist all candy.  I also brought a whole avocado to eat for lunch instead of my usual half.  I am not going to get hungry today!  I feel confident that I can resist candy.  Candy is not special.  It is not worth it.  I don't eat candy.  (maybe if I say that enough, I will believe it! LOL)

Happy Halloween, everybody!

Just posting to help myself keep up momentum.  My plan of staying full/satisfied yesterday worked great.  I wasn't stuffed to sick by any means, but was very much not hungry and so was barely tempted at all by the treats at the office party or those the kids brought home.  I didn't touch one or even consider it.  Yay me!  I have to keep on it, though, because that candy is obviously still around.  I'm not going to have any.  I don't eat candy.  I don't eat candy!  I don't eat candy!

Thanks! I managed to get through the whole weekend with no candy!  Yippee!  We still have a ton and I have to get through making candy bar bars (a tradition) but I am determined to just not eat any!  If I don't start, I don't have to stop.

The rest of the weekend was good.  I did 8 loads of laundry, errands, cleaning, organizing, etc.  I felt accomplished and productive.  I love weekends like that.  I washed all the kids' bedding, including comforters.  Their rooms were starting to smell like boy.  LOL  I orgranized all three of our freezers (a stand up, a chest and the one over the fridge) and made an inventory of what we have.  We have a lot of pork and venison to eat up before we get a new pig after Thanksgiving and if husband gets a deer this weekend, but I managed to empty a whole shelf to put that new pig, even if we don't finish what we have.  I found one lonely beef roast and 3 pkgs of soup bones from our 1/2 cow that has been all eaten up.  10yo helped me make pumpkin seeds in the microwave.  It actually worked great.  He's been bugging me to make them and I kept saying we couldn't this year because we don't have an oven.  But, we tried it in the microwave and they were good. He was very happy.  We won't have bags of them in the freezer like most years, but it worked for a small batch.  I cooked a ham in the crockpot last night so we'll be eating that for the next week or so.  We traded up 13yo's ski boots to a bigger size and made sure the rest of the gear still worked for him so he's set for ski club.  It was busy, but good. 

Kitchen update - 5 weeks down, 6 to go.  But, that last week is just cushion for last minute touch ups and stuff, so potentially, we're at the half way mark!  We noticed that the holes for the island pendants aren't centered, so they'll have to fix that.  Hopefully, that won't delay anything.

Have a good week, all!

Great plan and follow through on being full enough and not having any non-special candy!  Woot!

Sounds like you had a great, busy, productive weekend.  And I'm impressed with your solutions while not having a kitchen.

Almost halfway!  That has to feel great.  Make sure they fix the island.  Ours is slightly off and it drives my husband batty.  ;)

Great weekend! Yay for staying out of the candy!

I have a bunch of soup bones too and I'm super confused about how to use them. Do you roast them, eat the meat off them, and then use them for broth? Or do you roast them and use them for broth? Are soup bones the same thing as oxtail? 

Bethany - our soup bones come with plenty of meat on them.  So, I usually make a crockpot soup with them.  A bunch of veggies, water or broth, spices/herbs, the soup bones.  Let it go all day and then shread the meat off the bones.  It's usually pretty good.  Cabbage and potatoes goes well in that type of soup.  And maybe a litte red wine if not on W30.  :)  Oxtail, IMO, is gross.  I've made oxtail soup and it's icky.  Soup bones are good. But, if you like oxtail, you can use it the same way.

I really hate DST!  I woke up at 4am today.  430 yesterday and Sunday.  Ugh!  I'm very tired. 

I made ham and cheese quesadillas for the family on the Griddler last night.  (I just put my ham on a salad)  I'm surprised and happy that I'm managing good and varied meals despite not having a real kitchen.  I even made lasagna in the Ninja last week (didn't eat that, either) that everyone liked.  It's amazing what you can do with just a microwave, griddle and crockpot!  We'll be eating off that ham all week.  I love that.  I don't have to do much real cooking (quesadillas isn't real cooking).  Tonight the boys are having venison to take a ham break, but I'm having ham (I can't eat venison) and Friday will be eggs and ham.  Monday will be soup with the ham bone.  I love being able to stretch it out like that. 

Yoga class last night was great.  The focus was back bends so we did sugarcane, which is super fun.  I'm going again tonight.  I think I'll make myself skip tomorrow, though.

The cabinets are all in.  They are beautiful, but we have an issue.  They drew the kitchen window too big on the plans so stopped the cabinets sooner than they should have.  It looks really weird and empty around the window.  We may have to order 2 more cabinets to make it look better.  Ugh.  More money and more time.  Frustrating.  But, I guess I'd rather do it now than hate it and either live with it or do it later.

Hope you get used to DST quickly!

You are doing so well with cooking and making your make-shift kitchen work.  I just know I would end up doing take-out all the time.  You are doing your whole family a favor being so creative.

Yay for yoga and new cabinets.  I hope you find a cabinet/window solution that isn't too pricey/time-consuming.  Is there any chance you could put open shelves around the window, maybe for some display and/or plants/herbs?  Maybe something like this:

7a6570df3e572838767aaf0e9a142ce5.jpg

f3eaef79179039abfab9f379b189e54e.jpg

cottage-kitchens14.JPG

Obviously I have no idea of the styling of your kitchen, and maybe it just wouldn't go.  But just a thought.  I'm sure you'll find a great solution.

Archived