Cooked veggie questions

My doctor has helped me to learn that my body does not like raw veggies, even though my mouth says otherwise. Just in time for salad season, and in the middle of a Whole30 that is screaming for a salad from Chipotle, I am in need of some ideas. Ever since I heard "nothing raw" I realize how many raw veggies I eat or am craving. It is getting hot out and I am getting lazy. So, I find I am eating too much sweet potato as it is one thing I like cooked into submission and usually have ready to go in the fridge. I need some variety!

1. Are there any cooked veggies that are good cold? (Things that would go well with tuna salad or chicken salad or turkey salad would really be good right here.)

2. Do you have any veggie purée recipes that would do well in the fridge or freezer?

Cold roasted broccoli and Brussels sprouts are pretty good, and presumably any other roasted vege too: carrots, asparagus, capsicum, etc. Maybe not zucchini - I feel that would have an icky texture, but worth a try.

My mom makes a mean string bean salad. She boils the string beans until tender then once cooked, shoves them in ice water. Once they are cooled she will dress them with fresh garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Fresh squeezed lemon is also delicious instead of vinegar. She also adds cooked white potato pieces but that can be eliminated during Whole 30. Mix it up and stick in the fridge - even better then next day. Can be eaten with tuna salad, chicken salad, etc. A summer favorite in my family.

Mmm that string bean dish sounds delish!! Spaghetti squash is good cold with tomato sauce (at least I think so), but its not in season so it might be hard to find. Kale chips are yummy too and convenient. You can store them in a paper bag at room temp for a convenient veggie. Grilled veggies are great for summer too. You can make kabobs or just use a grill pan to cook bell peppers, onions, eggplant, zuccini, mushrooms, even pineapple!

Roasted tomatoes, especially if you add some basil and a drizzle of XVOO are absolutely delicious cold.

Yes! Also you can do slow-roasted cherry tomatoes. But beware, because they are really easy to eat. I think they'd be pretty amazing in chicken salad. I can also eat roasted asparagus cold--though not usually other veg.

http://smittenkitche...asted-tomatoes/

Last, I used to make a roasted broccoli/farro salad a lot in the summer. I think even without the grains this dressing will be delicious over some roasted broccoli. The roastedness of the broccoli makes it soaks up the dressing. (I'd mix up when warm but eat cool or room temp.) Nice on a hot day with a pan-fried chicken cutlet. Or even mixed in together!

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 small garlic clove, minced or pureed

Salt and freshly ground pepper

6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Thanks, everyone! As the temps warm, I am still resistant to this idea of cooked during the heat of the day. Maybe a combo of more composed meals cooked, frozen, and ready to reheat and a few of these ideas of veggies to try cold in the place of a quick salad would be a place to start.

Am I the only one who associates warmth and comfort with cooked foods (hence, always eating them warm) and cool and refreshment with raw foods? My brain is really playing tricks on me. I also found that I was putting fruits on my plate to get the cool, next to the warm and that is not a great idea.

HANG ON!!! I have missed the no raw veggies stage, I was completely not aware of this and therefore have not successfully completed my W30 in Jan at all. Seriously? No raw veggies? Why?

So that means no salads? Good grief :-(

Noooooo.

The OP discovered she herself doesn't do well with raw veg. Not a part of the W30 guidelines.

Thanks for clarifying that Beets. My doctor ordered a no raw veg diet and a little testing proved that it has improved my situation. Sadly, we figured it out right when raw veggies started creeping in as temps outside started to rise.

Big cook up planned today.

I'll bet sauteed shredded cabbage would be good cold with some roasted chicken, scallions, maybe a few pieces of orange? Mmm, or fennel? Or both! Yikes, I need to stop thinking about food so much!

AmyB, she sort of said no cabbage (def no kraut), but that one is worth a try. I love cabbage, and even shredded, cooked, and cooled, I'll bet it would make a good salad. Haven't had cabbage lately. If it doesn't end up working, my husband will definitely eat it!

AmyB, she sort of said no cabbage (def no kraut), but that one is worth a try. I love cabbage, and even shredded, cooked, and cooled, I'll bet it would make a good salad. Haven't had cabbage lately. If it doesn't end up working, my husband will definitely eat it!

I would cry if a doc said no cabbage. :(

She gave me guidelines and I have to remember a) that this could help me feel as good physically as I have mentally and B) that my body may disagree on a few points.

Strange that I could eat all manner of cooked and raw veggies pre-W30. I mentioned to her a healing gut revealing sensitivities, but she insists that there is nothing wrong with my gut or my digestion. Huh? As with W30, if it works, I suppose I don't have to know why, I just need to know how to provide my body with optimal fuel.

The other day I didn't have time to heat up my leftover zoodles with cherry tomatoes, and I thought they were pretty yummy. I don't have one of those fancy gadgets, so I just julienne zucchini and saute it with the tomatoes, garlic, spices and EVOO, so this might not work as well with very thin zoodles.

I also bought a jar of marinated vegetables (cauliflower, carrots, etc.) - they taste like peperoncinis, vinegary and spicy.

I also bought a jar of marinated vegetables (cauliflower, carrots, etc.) - they taste like peperoncinis, vinegary and spicy.

I saw some local veggies the other day and they looked fun. Not sure if they count as raw since kraut is out. I guess I just have to see what the belly likes. The mouth loves vinegary and spicy!

Funny, I saw those at the hardware store.

This entire thread made me drool. I'm totally making that green bean salad for the next family get together (we've been doing BBQs the last few weekends and I keep making my own salad because everyone is eating potato salad or corn on the cob).

Archived