Summertime = corn on the cob?!

I finished my Whole40 a few weeks ago but haven't chosen to introduce anything with the exception of honey and gluten-free beer on occasion. I just feel too good and haven't missed anything. But now that summer is approaching I am craving one of my favorite foods - fresh, local corn on the cob. What are your thoughts on eating this food?

I think all corn being eliminated on the whole30 makes a lot of sense: it would confuse people to differentiate "grain" and "fresh" corn (even fresh corn is technically a grain, isn't it?) The fresh corn would push other, better veggies off peoples plates. Most corn is GMO. Add to that common corn allergies and fresh corn just doesn't make the cut.

You are post-whole30, though, so you get to make decisions with a lot more context and nuance. IMHO, if I, like you, considered fresh, local corn on the cob to be a favorite summertime treat, I would test it out. Try to get organic/nonGMO and give it a whirl some time when you aren't also trying any other new off-plan foods. If all goes well, I would include it in my post-whole30 life. Enjoy!

I can get local, organic, sweet corn and it is so perfect it doesn't need salt or butter.

And even before paleo, primal or Whole 30, I knew it didn't agree with me. I ate a couple ears a year and suffered.

This year I'm going to listen to my body.

I'd say eat it and see how you feel. And really listen for a few a few days after. (Let's just say it takes a while for my body to process what it can't digest...)

When MN sweet corn is being sold fresh from road side stands on our way to the cabin, I will have some. Otherwise, I will skip it. It's such a fleeting summer treat, that I don't see it as a problem. It's kind of like avoiding sugar except for your grandma's pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. It's rare and special. :)

Just remember what you see in kids/animals poop that isn't digested - CORN KERNELS! To me that's a sign our bodies don't really like it/deal with it well, but I agree, it's so yummy so try it out and see how you go!

I was reading this the other day, a piece from the NY TImes about breeding nutrients out of our food:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinion/sunday/breeding-the-nutrition-out-of-our-food.html?_r=2&

Talks quite a bit about corn in particular and how we've pretty much abandoned all the nutrient-rich coloured varieties in favour of the tastier yellow, and then the even sweeter white.

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that the fibrous corn kernel husks are not really digestible by anyone and therefore you will uh... see them on the way out. It doesn't necessarily mean that corn is off-limits for you because it will happen to any human that ingests it. If you get other digestive upset symptoms or what have you then obviously the choice is yours. I personally had 2-3 ears last summer (when following a low-carb diet where corn was off limits) and will probably have the same amount this year.

So happy to find this post! We're a few weeks away from having farm-stand corn here in Maine, but I plan on indulging when it's ready. Like a few posters here have said, if it's local, natural and not taking the place of other veggies in my meal, I'm all in!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I worked for a water/sewer district, and at the sewage treatment plant, there was the "corn corner". So yeah...That being said post Whole30, I'm going to eat the corn we're growing, and probably the white potatoes too! Not something I'd buy but we planted before discovering the whole30!

• 5 years later...

Have been post W30 for several weeks now and have not really reintroduced any grains.  Family is visiting this weekend and they are bringing the first pick of Sweet Olethe corn-on-the-cob up to the High Country from the Western Slopes!  That corn is so good it doesn't need any butta' nor salt... but I might try it with a little of each if I am only having one ear!

Archived