Newly compliant RX bars and the sugar dragon

LadyM

• Moderators

I just received my first box of the newly W30 approved RX bars and have been too afraid to try them. I have a long-standing history of (protein)(candy)(whole food) bar abuse and am terrified that they'll wake up my sugar dragon. I couldn't resist ordering them, though, for those isolated in-a-pinch moments when it's better to eat something, even if it's potentially foodwithoutbrakesSWYPO, rather than nothing. My plan is to only use them in emergencies.

Phew. I feel better just writing that down.

So, anyone have experience with this phenomenon they can share? I've read so much about people going off the rails with Larabars, but I wonder if people have a different response to these new bars that actually have protein in them.

I eat about a third of an RX Bar pre workout at 5:00 am - it's all I can take that early in the morning.  I don't find myself wanting to eat them any other time because - 1 - they're expensive and 2 - they are strictly my pre-workout food.  Maybe putting yourself into a specific mindset when it comes to the RX Bars will help. 

• Moderators

Thanks so much for weighing in, everyone. Very helpful! You've solidified my resolve to only touch them when absolutely necessary. I'm thinking travel to food deserts and/or endurance races where beer and bananas are the only post-run fodder available.

• Moderators

I eat about a third of an RX Bar pre workout at 5:00 am - it's all I can take that early in the morning.  I don't find myself wanting to eat them any other time because - 1 - they're expensive and 2 - they are strictly my pre-workout food.  Maybe putting yourself into a specific mindset when it comes to the RX Bars will help. 

Caren,

have you tried eating protein and fat pre-workout? That's what the Whole30 template recommends. Giving your body carbs before your workout means it will keep using carbs for fuel, and you want it to use fat. Best to save the carbs (plus protein, of course) for post-workout.

We got some Epic Bars for emergencies...much more on the meat side than the sweet side.  They are kind of pricey, but if we keep a couple in the car while doing errands, it gives us a fallback if we take longer than expected and start to get hungry.

Caren,

have you tried eating protein and fat pre-workout? That's what the Whole30 template recommends. Giving your body carbs before your workout means it will keep using carbs for fuel, and you want it to use fat. Best to save the carbs (plus protein, of course) for post-workout.

We absolutely recommend protein and fat before a workout, but a 1/3 of an RxBar right before a typical workout isn't likely to be used as fuel or keep you from burning fat.

I wake up at 4:30 and leave at 5:30.  Grab a 1/2 cup of coffee and the bar.  Do you have a better and quick solution?  It's really hard to think about eating an egg at that time of the morning, but I'm willing to try.  Thank you for your suggestions.

I did my whole30 in January. At first, I did have a hard time with the RX bars and the sugar dragon, but as I moved through the Whole30 stages, it seemed to level out. At this point, i still have some but I honestly don't really like them (they are too sweet - I still like "real" sweet stuff, like chocolate, but not the RX bars). The Epic bars I've ordered recently do much better for me when I really do need an emergency food, and while I wasn't sure I could eat a "meat bar" at first, I much prefer them to the RX bars.

(But yeah...that first week the RX bars were CALLING to me...)

• Moderators

Is a larabar ok as a post workout snack?

I'm not doing a W30 right now, but I work out at 5:30am and don't eat before, but have had a larabar right afterwards while walking to the shower.  Is that a bad post w/o snack?

I can't remember the science behind it, but post workout you want a lean protein plus starchy nonfruit carb and as little fat as possible. So, yes, a larabar is a bad post workout snack. A piece of chicken breast plus a little sweet potato is ideal.

Here's some of the basic science:

- the sugars found in veggies tend to go to your muscles, which helps with recovery. The sugars in fruit usually go to your liver for processing

- nuts are a fat source as much as they are protein, and since fat slows digestion we want as little as possible in our post workout food

- you want a good dose of protein and a larabar just isnt going to give you enough :)

I wake up at 4:30 and leave at 5:30.  Grab a 1/2 cup of coffee and the bar.  Do you have a better and quick solution?  It's really hard to think about eating an egg at that time of the morning, but I'm willing to try.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Have you tried coconut butter? I like a spooful or two before my workouts. Nutty and goes down easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

OK, so I finally tried an RX bar yesterday and was surprised at my response, which was "Meh."

I ate it at the end of a small meal with a cup of tea, and I wag my finger at myself for using it as a kind of cookie/dessert; but I also figured it might be the safest way to test the product without triggering a binge.

It's definitely sweet, tasty, and very dense. I felt my heart rate increase a bit as I always do when I eat concentrated sweet stuff. And after I finished it, it felt heavy in my tum. I didn't want any more.

The verdict: I will keep them as an emergency but don't see myself indulging very frequently. I prefer real food. And when I'm post W30 (I'm on Day 40 of an extended W30 right now) and craving a particular dessert, I'll either bypass it with protein and fat, or consciously and deliberately give in to the real thing when it's truly worth it.

I declare this experiment a success! And want to underscore how thrilled I am by the extent to which I've come to understand and negotiate with if not slay my sugar dragon with W30.

• 9 months later...

I want to add to the post workout snack/meal. I work out at 6am and go straight to work from the gym. There is a great recipe for no fuss salmon cakes in It Starts With Food. My husband makes these on the weekend and we grab and go on our way out the door, and eat after workout. The recipe calls for canned salmon but he kicked in to high gear and bakes filets of wild salmon instead (canned is wild too though). But there is your easily digestible protein and carb (there are sweet potatoes in the recipe). I've been eating these daily for over a year!!

• 2 years later...
On 1/29/2015 at 10:00 PM, Nancy11son said:

I want to add to the post workout snack/meal. I work out at 6am and go straight to work from the gym. There is a great recipe for no fuss salmon cakes in It Starts With Food. My husband makes these on the weekend and we grab and go on our way out the door, and eat after workout. The recipe calls for canned salmon but he kicked in to high gear and bakes filets of wild salmon instead (canned is wild too though). But there is your easily digestible protein and carb (there are sweet potatoes in the recipe). I've been eating these daily for over a year!!

Ahhh this is a great suggestion!  I'm in the same boat from going straight to work from the gym and don't have time to cook.   Thanks! 

Archived