Pacific Brand Broth has autolyzed yeast extract, ok or not?

Moluv

In reading the original rules I recalled it said it was ok to buy minimally processed packaged foods like tomatoes and broths. I purchased the Pacific Brand Beef Broth and didn't notice until later (my bad!) that it contains a small amount of "autolyzed yeast extract" and says on the label it is gluten free. Otherwise the rest of the ingredients are approved. My gut tells me not to eat this as I don't know exactly what that stuff is, though others have posted that guar gum in coconut milk is ok, even though that is technically not a whole food either. Any suggestions??

From Wikipedia:

Yeast extract is the common name for various forms of processed yeast products made by extracting the cell contents (removing the cell walls); they are used as food additives or flavorings, or as nutrients for bacterial culture media. They are often used to create savory flavors and umami taste sensations, and can be found in a large variety of packaged food including frozen meals, crackers, junk food, gravy, stock and more. Yeast extracts in liquid form can be dried to a light paste or a dry powder.

"Autolyzed yeast (containing the cell walls) or autolyzed yeast extract consists of concentrations of yeast cells that are allowed to die and break up, so that the yeasts' endogenous digestive enzymes break their proteins down into simpler compounds (amino acids and peptides)...The general method for making yeast extract for food products such as Vegemite and Marmite on a commercial scale is to add sodium chloride (salt) to a suspension of yeast, making the solution hypertonic, which leads to the cells shrivelling up; this triggers autolysis, in which the yeast self-destructs.

• Moderators

There is some controversy about whether yeast extract is a "natural" form of MSG or not. MSG is one of the big things we recommend avoiding. I don't know which way to go on the controversy, but would avoid products containing it just to be safe.

Thanks for the info- I don't know what kinds of broth people are finding with nothing weird in it, everything at my grapefruit stores has something or other in it. Luckily I have made lots of broth at home so I will just work on making sure I don't run out of homemade broth.

I have no compliant options here, so I sub in water and up other spices if I need to. I make my own whenever I have bones, but I hate cooking with chicken (long story involving me having to kill and clean one in training and getting bitten by fire ants while doing it...ugh!), let alone bony chicken. And tearing meat off of a cooked chicken makes me think of the noise my shoulder makes when I have a really big subluxation (not quite a full dislocation, where it goes partly to mostly out of the socket and then you either stop it from finishing somehow or it sucks itself back together...it's ever so fun!)...yeah, chicken and I have some issues...

• 3 weeks later...

The pacific brand has two kinds... one that has sugar and one that doesnt. I bought it just in case it was compliant for the chocolate chili receipe in well fed. I was praying someone wrote about the topic because the yeast extract was listed and it was the only ingredient that i wasn't sure about. It was extremly hard to find compliant beef broth!! Now that Robin says its okay I am using it:)

• 1 month later...

I would argue that is strongly a personal choice. I know for a fact that in my body autolyzed yeast extract and most other yeast extracts acts exactly like MSG giving me migraines, aches, dizziness, and fatigue. In my case I need to avoid it whether I am doing Whole 30, paleo, or living off of chocolate and cheese. For me it is always bad. If you are sensitive naturally to MSG in food, I would avoid it and see how you feel for this 30 days. If you reintroduce it at the end of the 30 days and you notice yourself having a negative reaction. You know, it is a food no no for you as well. I would suggest just make your own by boiling a small organic chicken carcass, strain it, season it, refridgerate, and skim off the fat. You will be better off in the long run.

• 5 years later...
On 2/2/2013 at 11:19 PM, Robin Strathdee said:

While autolyzed yeast extract may not be optimal, and making your own is always the best option, it doesn't rule out the broth as compliant. The beef broth I use contains it and I've never had any troubles :)

Thanks robin! You’re amazing 

If you use bone broth instead of regular broth, those tend to have cleaner ingredient statements. here are the ingredients for Pacific's chicken bone broth:

WATER, CHICKEN*, ONIONS*, CARROTS*, CELERY*, SPICES*, CIDER VINEGAR*, ROSEMARY EXTRACT* [ANTIOXIDANT]. *ORGANIC 

Archived