Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

kb0426

Thanks, Susan! I tried more Goo Gone this weekend and finally got the goo off. Before I wasn't using enough and it just kind of smeared the goo around. I'd already read your hot water trick for the labels - perfection!

My hibiscus and ginger bottles are second fermenting and are a lovely deep pink color. Crossing my fingers! I'm not sure how long I'll wait to try them - they've been fermenting since Saturday, I think.

Jent, you may want to burp them so the bottles dont explode. That way, you can decide how much fizz has built up and whether it's time to drink them or let them sit longer. I think hibiscus seems to really fizz up.

I wasn't using enough goo gone at first either. It's a little shocking how much it takes.

• Like 1

Even when I burp mine (I always burp mine) they fizz like crazy and sometimes blow up if I use real fruit.  I had a BAD blow up the other morning-front door, ceiling, floors, computer, my clothes of course...

I spent about 30 minutes cleaning up and was off to work.  About an hour later I got a text from my hubby who had finally gotten up, "is that kombucha on the sliding glass door or is one of the pets bleeding?"  Seriously-that's a good 30 feet away.  I now open every bottle either with a towel around it, or in the front yard if I'm really worried about it.

• Like 3

Thanks for the heads up! They're in a box, so hopefully it won't be too bad if they explode while I'm at work today! I burped them a couple of times with my first batch (this is only my second) and they weren't very fizzy when I went to drink them, so I wondered if the burping released too much of the carbonation. Kombucha... so simple yet so complex!

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/natural-cleaner-removing-sticker-goop-79395.html

I haven't tried any of these, but thinking they may be as affective as the chemical stuff.  I tryed the hot water method this weekend after I bought a ginger, hibiscus and lemon GT so I could get an idea of what flavor I'm looking for since I got some hibiscus in the bulk section of my co-op on Sunday.

I bottled it yesterday and thought after seeing kb's fizzy wonderfulness I better burp it this morning - nada.  :o  I added 2 T of lemon juice, 1ish T of ginger and about 1 T of hibiscus to a 32 oz flip top bottle.  I wonder if I filled it too full.  I think I've read both fill to the tippy top and leave some room.  What do you all do?  Any measurements?

My partner drinks it plain, she is not interested in fizzy, but one of these days I may find a flavor she likes.

Flat booch to me just does not agree with my taste buds!

My understanding was to leave as little room as possible, but I do leave a bit at the top - call me paranoid.

I do perform one burp after a couple of days, in a 7 day second fermentation.  i do take caution to open over the sink or a towel :).

I have not had it shoot 30 feet however. :D

• Like 1

Kabob..unfortunately, those nice tips dont have any affect on the gum left by the GT Mylar labels. I tried them before using Goo Gone. If someone doesn't want to use Goo Gone..just leave the labels on. They are pretty labels. :)

• Like 1

Well, y'all, I got SO excited last night - the bottle of my second batch that I shook a bit fizzed up so nicely! So I put that batch in the fridge, thinking it's ready to go. But the one I've strained and brought to work with me to drink later seems really flat - no bubbling when I opened it to strain it, and very few bubbles when I poured it. So strange. Do you think I should take the rest of the bottles out to ferment longer? They've had 3+ days, which I thought was enough but maybe not. The weather has turned chilly here, so maybe that's part of it!

Get ready for it..............elderberry flavor!

With flu season upon us this may be something you might want to try.  I put one teaspoon dried berries into a 16 oz bottle to second ferment and it was slightly fizzy, beautifully hued and pretty darn delish.   :wub:    I didn't let it go very many days (2 days) before I cracked it open so there my be potential there for more carbonation action.  I'll be making more of this next time I decant.

Oh, I got the dried elderberry in the herb/spice bulk section of my coop.

Happy brewing!

• Like 3

Well, y'all, I got SO excited last night - the bottle of my second batch that I shook a bit fizzed up so nicely! So I put that batch in the fridge, thinking it's ready to go. But the one I've strained and brought to work with me to drink later seems really flat - no bubbling when I opened it to strain it, and very few bubbles when I poured it. So strange. Do you think I should take the rest of the bottles out to ferment longer? They've had 3+ days, which I thought was enough but maybe not. The weather has turned chilly here, so maybe that's part of it!

Hmmmm, personally I avoid shaking my booch :rolleyes:   In my mind you are releasing some of the much desired carbonation by doing so. 

If I recall you flavored this batch with ginger and hibiscus.  My hibiscus brew has really tiny bubbles.  When I opened my first bottle it barely phssst'd, but then it started gently bubbling over which really surprised me.  Maybe a longer time outside the fridge.  I'm going to start experimenting with how much space I leave at the top to see how/if that affects my final product.

Let us know how it's going.

• Like 1

Hi all brewers,

I currently have my first ever starting batch going and so far so good. I bought the scoby from a very helpful lady on E-bay UK and followed her tips and advice.

I will check on Friday how it taste as suggested then start with a full new batch in my 6L massive glass jar, very exciting  :)

I would like to hear your best flavouring successes if you would like to share, please  :huh:

The Elderberry sounds like a great start, thanks for that Kabob  ;)

Cheers,

Maria

• Like 2

You're right, kabob - it was hibiscus and ginger. Most of the bottles had a nice gentle fizz to them - enough to tingle but not at all like a GT. All very drinkable and yummy though! I'm right there with you on the shaking, but I wasn't sure how else to tell if they were carbonated or needed to stay out of the fridge for awhile. I'm using GT bottles, so no plastic to tell how hard or soft it is. Hmm.

I bottled my third batch last night - all "gingerade" this time. I had my first GT gingerade last week and LOVED it, so I grated probably 1/2-3/4 tsp of ginger into each bottle. I also managed to grate my thumb. It'll probably be worth it.

jent103 - If memory serves the gingerade has lemon in it.  Memory doesn't serve the right stuff pretty often, but maybe it's getting better, I am on day 28 of my Whole 30!  So far my favorite flavor is ginger.  I think I will do a taste test between just ginger and the ginger/lemon.

I do wish mine was more bubbly, but, like yours, totally drinkable and fabulously deliscious!

• Like 1

I've been doing continuous brew, but I let my scoby go dormant in my Cb container because I couldn't keep up with it. I find my booch hard to drink sometimes because it is SO acidic. I have to water it down or mix it with juice or it burns my throat. Anyone else have a problem like this? I'm finally almost caught up on my booch, so I'll probably start brewing again this weekend, I just wish I could figure out how to make my booch smoother...

I also find it's kind of alcoholic...I definately can tell I've had some alcohol after I drink it. I get a certain sensation in my body when I drink alcohol and i get it from the kombucha.

Omg Vian. Thank you. I neglectef a continuous brew batch so it is way too acidic for me..um..call it vinegar. I am going to take the scobys out. Save one or two. Compost/flush the others and start fresh with sweet tea. I do not like that overly vinegar flavor.

My continuous brew is smoother than my batch brew.  What I usually do is decant about a gallon, it's about a 2 1/2 gallon container, and replace that with a gallon of the sweet tea (made with 5 black and 3 green tea bags and a cup of sugar).  Once this process is over I begin tasting my product on day 3.  I decant again around day 5 and 7 to get the smooth product that we love.

I usually run out before it's time to decant one batch or the other, but am working toward having extra to share.  I may get another continuous batch going just for that reason.

I never have extra.  I have 1 1.5 gallon continuous brew going.  Just this week, I decided that since it has gotten colder, I am going to need longer than a week in my first fermentation.  This made me sad.  I had such a great 7 day rhythm going!

That means I will actually have to pay for some booch this week. Shameful I tell ya! 

Also, those of you with not a lot of fizz...I was having  low fizz booch (blech) and extended my second fermentation and that took care of it! As I said, I was doing 7 days, now will likely have to increase second fermentation too.

Gasp.  I think I might have to BUY booch next week too!

Oh, the horrors.

• Like 2