Whole30 JUNE GROUP (:

Mrsfrosty

Benefits so far: less bloating, improved focus & concentration, better sleep, virtually no cravings, clothes fitting looser (weight loss not a huge goal for me, but I gained nearly 10 lbs over the last year and a half and I'd be happy to see it go), increased energy for exercise.

Had a great run yesterday doing intervals. Felt super good. And I've been able to start making it to some group fitness classes at my gym. It's usually hard to make it and I'm realizing that's not because I'm lazy (as I tell myself), it's because I'm tired.

The last couple of nights I've had a hard time falling asleep, so I'm going to start cutting down on the energizing amino acids I take in the first half of the day. Being able to get amino acids from food and not have to pay so much for supplements is a huge part if what drove me to this diet, so this is an exciting gain!

Feeling so good just a couple of weeks in, I'm starting to think about what a longer term variation would look like for me...would be very curious to hear from others who have experimented more.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 19! I had a good day yesterday and felt like I had more energy then usual...not quite tiger blood yet but, hopefully, getting closer.  I had another good sleep last night and got up around 5am, before my alarm, to go to Crossfit. Today is usually my rest day but I was awake so what-the-heck, I might as well go. My workout was good other then I tweaked my back late last week with Kettlebell swings and, stupidly, have not been taking it easy. It caught up with me today and my back is quite sore!  Lots of stretching and hottubing is in order for the next few days.

My meals have been really good and the cooking does get tiring! Luckily, my wife has been helping me out! I, too, rarely cooked so this is a big change for me.  I put in my meat order this morning to my local farmer and I will be picking it up tomorrow. Local, grassfed and pastured animals....mmmmm...sounds good!  That should pretty much do me until July 1st!

I hope everyone has a great day!

megmac - Eating for Idiots. I will definitely be checking that out!

Kevin B - Where do you get your meat? We've been using Local Valley Beef pretty much since they began and, of course, the Farmers' Market.

Thanks, all, for the comments re being tired. I do get eight hours and generally sleep well, though I had a terrible dream last night and woke up annoyed. Maybe it's just that with all the cooking and working out I'm not getting as much work done as I'd hoped and that makes me bleh.

I've also got to start varying breakfast. Even my beloved salsa and avocado is having a hard time getting another scrambled egg down my throat!

But, here we are, day 19. Glad I have some leftovers. And this evening? Massage. My carrot? Scallops, crab, or lobster on Cape Breton at the end of the month.

Have a great day!

Day 22: in the home stretch!

Slight change in the sore throat dept: this time I woke up in the middle of the night with a sore throat and had trouble falling back to sleep because it ached so much. Relocated to the living room couch, read for an hour or so and fell asleep there. Woke up with barely a sore throat 4 hours later. Hmm...

I think it's amusing how many previous non-cooks on the forum (myself included) are doing a W30 and are becoming more of the cooks in their household. I'm (surprisingly) finding it fun to cook again (it's been a good 10 years, at least, since I cooked regularly). I was a maniac online yesterday searching and printing out recipes: that has NEVER been me.

Family party this weekend: already planning to bring a watermelon cucumber salad from the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook. They're having it catered. If the caterer can't accommodate the W30 protocol for me, I'll be bringing my own lunch (likely sardines, avocado and some veggie), which I'm fine with: not in any way interested in cheating so close to the end.

Forgot to mention that yesterday at work for the majority of the day I was HOT! Sweating...got iced coffee in the afternoon and drank lots if water. Felt fine...NOT hot flashes...yet...just really hot. Wondering/hoping that it was body burning calories/fat storage (:

megmac - Eating for Idiots. I will definitely be checking that out!

Kevin B - Where do you get your meat? We've been using Local Valley Beef pretty much since they began and, of course, the Farmers' Market.

Thanks, all, for the comments re being tired. I do get eight hours and generally sleep well, though I had a terrible dream last night and woke up annoyed. Maybe it's just that with all the cooking and working out I'm not getting as much work done as I'd hoped and that makes me bleh.

I've also got to start varying breakfast. Even my beloved salsa and avocado is having a hard time getting another scrambled egg down my throat!

But, here we are, day 19. Glad I have some leftovers. And this evening? Massage. My carrot? Scallops, crab, or lobster on Cape Breton at the end of the month.

Have a great day!

I order it from Jolly Farmer (http://sales.jollyfarmer.com/orders.aspx) and they deliver every Thursday to Real Food Connections.  I'll check out Local Valley Beef...I've never knew they existed.

Ah, day 18... I'm tired. Tired and tired of cooking. I'm not so much craving things or even just wanting things I've not been having. I'm just tired and tired of cooking. I don't like to cook and I've risen to the challenge for the W30, but I just want the perfect meals placed in front of me. As if...

Oh man, I get you! Honestly, I was tired of cooking long before eating this way, lol! We used to eat out a lot. While on the Whole30 I don't eat out at all, but even when I'm not Whole30ing, I still just don't bother because so many of the old options are off the table now, it just doesn't feel worth it.

I joke that if we win the lottery I will hire a paleo chef to cook every day :)

Well, silver lining, I am becoming a better cook. I still don't particularly enjoy it, but I'm getting better at it at least.

Day 18 for me :) I do feel great :) Sleeping much better and no longer have to take melatonin, though that also is helped by the standing desk wearing me out by bedtime (but yeah, I was sleeping better before the standing desk so it's definitely at least part the food :D ). I'm not a ball of energy but then I'm still fat and out of shape, but I definitely get tired less often than I did before.

Day 19 and feeling great!  Even an unsettled baby all night can't keep me down today!  Had a great hour at yoga this morning, keeping it all clean still and i've even cut back to one 8oz cup of coffee every other day!  I know we can have coffee on W30 but I felt I was over doing it so I wanted to see how it felt weaning off and eventually going to just one cup on the weekends for a while. 

On another note, I have finally watched 'Super Size Me' (I know, a little late to the party) and can I just say it really just solidifies my resolve to never eat fast food again and even limit eating out in general.  The images of the food makes me want to gag, it's just repulsive.  I'm going to make my husband watch this and hopefully he'll really get on board with eating clean, but more importantly to keep our daughter from ever having those sorts of meals.  Bleh!

Hi all - question for the group. How are people who were not paleo or GF before feeling about sticking with this kind of eating (not so stringently perhaps) long term? Or staying paleo? I can tell that my body seems to function better with less carbs and I'm assuming reintroduction will help me identify how dairy may affect me. I know my partner is totally ready to go back on breads, legumes etc. I am unsure what I will do (beyond definitely bringing wine back into my life). What are folks thinking?

Thanks!

Re: staying paleo. I plan to stay as close to Whole30 as I can get with occasional "holidays" for special occasions, for sweets and wine. I doubt I'll ever go back to bread - after a year with barely any, it makes me really, really sick when I eat it. I may reintroduce some Paleo baked goods occasionally, since I love to bake and experiment.

Re: cooking. I feel ya about being tired of it. Eating this way does take more work than popping a Lean Cuisine in the microwave or ordering a pizza. And after a year, there are times when I resent spending so much money on food and a good four to six hours every weekend cooking and preparing it. But I truly can't imagine going back to the way I was.

Here are some things I've learned:

Have some really easy go-to recipes. Mine are the salmon cakes from ISWF (I make two batches and freeze the second batch in packets of two. When I don't feel like cooking, I just pop those out, heat them, top them with Paleo mayo, add some tomatoes or some other veggies, and boom. Dinner. Also the mustard glazed chicken from Everyday Paleo. Could not be easier - a little oil, mustard, salt and sage, brush it on your chicken (the recipes calls for thighs but I always use breasts), pop it in the oven and voila. Dinner for several nights. I just made one of her meatloafs - also easy and yummy. Finally, my go-to's are often just some ground meat and whatever veggies seem good - squash, mushrooms, turnips if I'm turning orange from too much squash :), and lots and lots of kale. I put these on single serving containers, add an avocado, and that's breakfast. Or lunch. Or both.

Accept the fact that you are going to have to give up some time to cook. Breathe. It'll be okay. I go to Crossfit almost every night, so one weekend day is my big cook and prep day. I put a rom-com in the DVD player and listen while I work. I've got it down to about four hours...but then ,I don't mind eati the same thing day after day for breakfast and lunch.

When you have a little extra time, cook a bunch extra and freeze it. We bought a tiny chest freezer the last time my husband shot a wild pig, for the meat. I have bone broth, beef soup, stew...I don't know what all is in there...because there will be a weekend when we will go out of town or have a wedding or something to go to, and I won't be able to cook. These are my "rainy day" foods (though rainy days actually are great for cooking :). .)

I think after my first Whole30 attempt (it was like a Whole15) I thought I would try a treat and got a frozen pizza or something. It was not at all good. Those really aren't my triggers...it's just sweets. And now only gluten-free sweets that are homemade. Or ice cream with all natural ingredients, like Breyers. Lol. The pickier I get, the easier it is to stick to a mostly Paleo lifestyle.

Today, FINALLY, I am starting to feel some of the energy love. And I am here to tell you...it is all about the FAT.

I was so exhausted after Crossfit last night, and so discouraged. For days I have been feeling sick to my stomach before the WOD (and not just out of anxiety, though that certainly was part of it). So I asked my coach for some advice. His number one suggestion: FAT.

Just like our moderators keep harping on, over and over. <rolling eyes>

Well, they're right.

I think my prior fat intake was fine while I was doing no, or one or two Crossfit classes a week. But when I got back to my usual four, my body just hasn't been fueled enough. So today i really upped the ante. I added a whole avocado to breakfast and lunch, and had a handful of hazelnuts with my egg pre-workout. That really seemed to stabilize my blood sugar levels (odd as that sounds), my energy was much better before the WOD, and no stomach upset. Post-WOD, I was tired, but it was Angie, so I think that's pretty normal. For dinner I had some meatloaf from Everyday Paleo, a little bacon on the side, a sweet potato with Paleo mayo, and some raspberries. I feel satisfied but not stuffed.

So...I'll say it again: FAT. The moderators are right, it makes a world of difference.

I don't have Tiger Blood yet, but I think maybe Tiger Cub. Bring it!!!

Hi all - question for the group. How are people who were not paleo or GF before feeling about sticking with this kind of eating (not so stringently perhaps) long term? Or staying paleo? I can tell that my body seems to function better with less carbs and I'm assuming reintroduction will help me identify how dairy may affect me. I know my partner is totally ready to go back on breads, legumes etc. I am unsure what I will do (beyond definitely bringing wine back into my life). What are folks thinking?

Thanks!

-----

I feel like I want to stick to Whole30-compliant eating the vast majority of the time after this. The only thing is I can't continue to buy super high quality meat and eggs or very much organic produce. It is simply too expensive. I will do my best, but some of the fancy food will have to go. :)

Hubby wants to reintro beer and whiskey and will keep those around as long as they don't make him feel sick.

We will also be less strict surrounding social outings at other people's houses unless we can bring our own dishes to eat. We REALLY hate being high-maintenance, even though our friends and family are pretty accommodating.

I will do all the reintro things eventually, to see if I can figure out some of my allergy triggers, but overall I'm not missing any of the foods I've eliminated--with the weirdo exception of white rice (jasmine or basmati). I am hoping rice will be OK for my body, but if not, out the window it goes too.

I also really miss baking, but more the activity than the eating, so I will likely continue to bake afterward but use paleo recipes as much as possible.

well.... if my skin clears up.... I'll do a Whole forever.... :P  

So far what I miss is the freedom of eating fruits whenever I want and as much as I want... so I think the first week of July will be adding more fruits and maybe will try a Greek yogurt and see what happens.... I need something else for breakfast....  probably on the second and 3 will reintroduce lentils and quinoa.... I'm not too sure yet... we still have 11 days to go... I don't want to start planning so much as I'm still planning on lunch for tomorrow.... have some beef jerky on the oven hope it tastes good is my first time making it! :)

Nite nite!!!   Can't wait for day 20!! 2/3 already! 

Day 19

M1-kale/chive egg muffins, avocado, zucchini, coffee w coconut milk

M2-Butter lettuce, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, bell peppers, shrimp, strawberries, balsamic vinegar, EVOO, almonds

M3-steak, steamed veggies, salad w balsamic vinegar, EVOO, pistachios, kiwi, soda water

Workout-none

Reflections-this afternoon burning up...hopefully burning calories

RE PALEO.....I'm new to this way if eating AND new to cooking...but I like how I'm feeling...no cravings....awesome. I may have a bit more fruit post Whole30 and perhaps Greek yogurt....but no longer interested in junk food, candy, chips...or fried foods will see how it goes but definitely like the real, non-processed foods...and my cooking will continue...a new world

I haven't been on here much this last week as I'm travelling in Chicago. I've managed to stay compliant so far - I just wanna say THANK YOU Whole Foods! I love the fact I can pop in there when I need a quick meal and everything at the food bar is labelled amazingly. Also Lara bars have saved me in tight spots. It's been particularly interesting because I'm staying at a hostel so apart from the free breakfast (there is only fruit to eat that's whole30 safe) I've had to source my own food. It's been fine though as we have a shared kitchen and I even remembered to bring a can opener and some coconut milk so I can have my beloved coffee in the mornings! I've been very busy so tired because of that but otherwise feeling fantastic and can't believe it's almost day 20 and two thirds done!!

Ps also stayed away from nuts this week.. Think it helps with cravings. :)

Eats for day 19:

**ground beef, salsa and spinach fried with an egg, coffee

**dry roasted almonds, quart of strawberry herb tea

**coconut water

**beef patty, baby carrots, red pepper, broccoli

**steamed shrimp and broccoli with mayo, handful of raisins

Making mayonnaise is like a walk in the park for me... I am so lucky to have my own farm fresh eggs. Mayo makes everything better :) forgot about lunch so ate the burger/veggie snack in the truck on the way back from my lesson.

Good morning, day 23. 1 week left!!

Woke up once last night. When I got up this morning, felt well-rested, which is a move in the right direction. Barely a detection of a sore throat, so hopefully that's outta here as well.

Yesterday was a day of leftovers: frittata and decaf coffee with coconut oil and ghee for meal 1, gazpacho and chicken for meal 2, a mini meal of sardines, nuts, nectarine and coffee/coconut oil/ghee, and then meal 3 was turkey chili, chicken and an awesome mixed green salad with dressing made from the remainders of my paleo mayo.

Now my fridge is cleared out to cook again!

Today I'll be making a new batch of gazpacho and paleo mayo.  Will use the paleo mayo first in a recipe for crab cakes in my Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook.

Will head to the gym for a cardio workout (30 min on treadmill, 30 min on elliptical).

Already thinking of reintroduction. The day after my Whole30 is complete, I'm headed away with my girlfriends for our 29th annual girls weekend. The only thing I plan to reintroduce that weekend is wine. :D  Once I get back, I will reintroduce dairy, then non-gluten grains (really curious to see how I react to quinoa and rice), then legumes (also curious how I'll do with hummus, since that was my go-to snack pre-W30).  I've been gluten-free for years, so there's no way I'm bringing that back into my world.  I see no reason to bring back chocolate other than for the occasional treat: something like dark chocolate covered strawberries, Taza chocolate, or a really good truffle. I envision only having rice (assuming I react ok) when I go out for sushi or maybe a unique risotto dish.

Day 20!

I did not have a good sleep last night and am feeling blah today. I pulled a muscle in my back so that had a lot to do with the lack of sleep...I could only find one position that was comfortable. I got up early this morning and went to Crossfit but I only did some mobility, stretching and hottub.

I'm still not doing great with preparing my meals ahead of time, with the exception of sweet potatoes, hard boiled eggs and guacamole - I always have these pre-made to add to my meals. I always have meat in the freezer or fridge and most suppertime meals consist of me coming home, throwing it on the bbq, steam veggies and microwave some sweet potatoes. It's usually a very quick meal - which is something I really like to do.  I haven't explored any spices yet but plan to on the weekend. Currently, I just add sea salt and pepper to my meat and cook.

My plan is to stick with paleo as much as possible after the Whole30. I love craft ales/lagers so will be adding this back in, occasionnally, starting July 1. I am going to be turning 40 this year and have spent most of my life addicted to junk food...especially chocolate! I'm going to avoid sugar as much as I can - I'm in control, I can just say "no!".  :o  I haven't been craving it so I should be able to avoid it.

My clothes are feeling looser and friends of mine are telling me they notice a difference so I definitely want to stay the course as much as possible.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Archived