Whole30 JUNE GROUP (:

Mrsfrosty

I posed this question in my personal log, but thought I'd throw it out to the larger group as well...

I've been really sleepy, in a nice way, this last week, and sleeping better and longer than I have in a long time. Unclear if this is due to seasonal allergies, in part, or if it's the diet leading to higher quality sleep and a subsequent desire for more (I'm definitely operating at a sleep/energy deficit a lot of the time -- possible adrenal fatigue in the mix).

Before that I had started to get that "tiger blood" feeling and was starting to up (and enjoy) exercise; now I've really let that fall by the wayside in favor of more rest/sleep/time to relax and enjoy family. But exercising more is definitely a goal and it does have a largely energizing effect on me. So, I'm trying to figure out whether to push myself more in that direction or just enjoy the down time for awhile.

Suggestions welcome!

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm.. i have no expertise in this area at all but i have two different thoughts:

1. take it easy and listen to your body, enjoy the down time and push yourself back into routine in July?

2. maybe do some mellow movement - gentle yoga, long walks, etc, as a way of keeping your body engaged but also not pushing too hard?

Woo! so close and yet I don't plan on changing much after 30 days is up.  the big test will start tomorrow when we head out for a 2 week family vacation to Alaska and Seattle!  We'll be staying with family mostly, so hopefully I can get mostly compliant meals, even if I have to cook myself! 

Wish me luck!

Have fun boykinbaby!

I want to stay mostly whole30 but want to take advantage of doing reintro to see my body's reaction to particular foods. Really not planning to take too many things back on a regular basis...mostly just occasional additions here and there. Don't want to go back to unhealthy eating...

Day 25

M1-ghee, two eggs, salt, pepper, zucchini, cucumber, avocado, water.

M2-kombucha drink, Lara bar, pistachios, Artichoke, Paleo mayo, nectarine, mineral water.

Snack-kombucha drink, pistachios

M3-spinach, chicken, bell peppers, pico de gallo, guacamole.

Workout-none

Reflections-rough night re dog. Worked from home. Feel good even though tired and had too many pistachios and kombucha.

Eats for Day 24:

**chicken, yellow pepper, carrots, snap peas

**herbal tea, large plum

**two Larabars

**beef burger, snap peas sauteed with red peppers, cranberry Kombucha

**herbal tea, pistachios, plum

Got caught in town today without lunch, suddenly famished hence the Larabars. I know better but feel good about the rest of my choices today so yeah. Halfway through the second one I didn't even want the rest but didn't want to "waste" it.... old patterns lol. Recognition is the first step right! Another cold, foggy and almost rainy day so more hot tea and a snack before bed. Feeling great, emotionally and otherwise! I can fit into ALL my jeans today (yes I have ten pair - in various sizes ha ha)

Guys so the Kombucha is a ready to drink bottle that you find on the refrigerators?  I thought It was kind of a Tea and have been looking for it to see what the big deal is  :P

Am I right or is there a Tea or another option?  I want to try it but want to make sure exactly what we are talking about first.

Buying the lara bars was a really bad idea.... I ate two today.... I wasn't even hungry but they are so good I just have to eat them all!!!

Also got today my plain yogurt for Monday!!!!   :D 

5 more days! I can't wait to hear how much all of you lost ! 

@ Selene: I had a couple of days like that... I slept longer, took some naps, and really just enjoyed it.  After a couple days I wasn't sleepy anymore and had more energy, so just sleep and enjoy it while it lasts.   

Day 29.

Status quo: it's all good!

Yesterday: M1 crustless quiche w coffee/ghee/coconut oil, M2: sardines, gazpacho, avocado, and nectarine, M3: steak with this yummy salad of bibb lettuce, cabbage, and banana peppers tossed with a homemade dressing of paleo mayo, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper.

No desire for snacks yesterday.

Just finished my M1, same as yesterday. Lunch today will be leftover moroccan meatballs and mashed cauliflower. Dinner will be mussels, spinach, and maybe more of that bibb salad/cabbage mixture.

Hard to believe tomorrow is my last day. This has been relatively easy, likely because I've been gluten-free for years. Other than missing a glass of wine here and there, I'm most surprised that I've had no cravings for cheese and chocolate.

First food dream of this W30.  I arrived at a Christmas party after the hosts had gone to bed.  On the table was every kind of Godiva candy imaginable (and even kinds I don't think they make).  I GORGED.

The funny part is that I'm not a candy eater, and have to real affinity for chocolate.  If it was a table of margaritas and corn chips, it might have been a premonition.

Ah the silly games our minds play on us!

Feeling a bit discouraged over here as both hubby and I are sick with a cold and the usual remedies are unavailable to us—no Vitamin C (sugar), no throat lozenges (ditto), no lemon ginger tea (ditto)... Just the ol' saltwater throat gargles around here! Any hot tips for Whole30-friendly cold remedies would be appreciated (will also search the boards and see what I find).

ETA: I know people will say bone broth, but I haven't found any compliant brands at any stores here, including the health food and organic stores. All have sugar and/or soy. I refuse to make my own because the smell is absolutely hideous to me. (My mother and MIL make bone broth so I am very familiar with all different types and their smells—it is probably one of the worst food smells I can think of.) If the weather would improve, I would consider doing it in my slow cooker outside on the patio, but there is no way I am stinking up my house making bone broth. Just thinking about it makes me shudder. Is there a vomit smiley? Heh.

I'm new to kombucha...my understanding there IS tea...but I tried the mango drink....yum. I have to watch kombucha, Lara bars, pistachios and dried mango

LOL I am coming up with my own list of foods to watch out for... macadamias and cashews are at the top of the list!

Feeling a bit discouraged over here as both hubby and I are sick with a cold and the usual remedies are unavailable to us—no Vitamin C (sugar), no throat lozenges (ditto), no lemon ginger tea (ditto)... Just the ol' saltwater throat gargles around here! Any hot tips for Whole30-friendly cold remedies would be appreciated (will also search the boards and see what I find).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you're sick, you need to do what you need to do to get better.

Last Friday, after having a sore throat on and off for a week, I woke up with no voice. Went to doctor, got diagnosed with laryngitis, and besides banning talking for a few days, she prescribed tea with honey, lozenges, gargling salt water, and putting my face over a steaming bowl of water.

I had to deliver two workshops this week: one yesterday and one today, so I wasn't messing around with waiting for my voice to come back.

I went with the adage doctor trumps W30, and went for the most natural lozenges I could find: Ricola. Yes, they contain honey and sugar near the end of the ingredient list. W30 purists would probably say I need to start over. I treated the lozenges as prescribed medicine and pressed on.  Voice started making a comeback on Sunday, returned 100% today, and today is the first day since Friday that I haven't needed a lozenge.

And day 30 of my W30 is tomorrow ...  :) 

ETA: I know people will say bone broth, but I haven't found any compliant brands at any stores here, including the health food and organic stores. All have sugar and/or soy. I refuse to make my own because the smell is absolutely hideous to me. (My mother and MIL make bone broth so I am very familiar with all different types and their smells—it is probably one of the worst food smells I can think of.) If the weather would improve, I would consider doing it in my slow cooker outside on the patio, but there is no way I am stinking up my house making bone broth. Just thinking about it makes me shudder. Is there a vomit smiley? Heh.

It may be too late for you now, but I swear by Zicam zinc lozenges. I don't have the package, but even if there is some sugar in them, I'd consider it the same as any other medicin, vitamin or supplement and say it's allowed on whole30.

Not really where I thought I would be on day 26: my skin is breaking out, bloating has returned, and I seem to be having some digestive issues to boot.

Things I've done differently over the last few days: taking claritin, reintroduced a couple of cups of decaf coffee with coconut milk (with no immediate after effects), and possibly started ovulating early (sorry if that's TMI). Had to take both Advil and Tums on doctor's orders to deal with mysterious chest pains last night (these may be a claritin side effect).

Any thoughts? I'm going to take coffee, claritin and nuts out of the mix for the remainder.

I take powdered vitamin C and mix it with water.  The brand I use is Thompson - C Buffered Crystals.  No sugar, just tastes (very) lemony.

Selene-I chalk your stuff up to the wonders of being a woman.  I'll be curious if your further restrictions help, because sometimes I SWEAR, this is just no reason for why our bodies do some of the things they do.  Feel better both of you! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you're sick, you need to do what you need to do to get better.

Last Friday, after having a sore throat on and off for a week, I woke up with no voice. Went to doctor, got diagnosed with laryngitis, and besides banning talking for a few days, she prescribed tea with honey, lozenges, gargling salt water, and putting my face over a steaming bowl of water.

It may be too late for you now, but I swear by Zicam zinc lozenges. I don't have the package, but even if there is some sugar in them, I'd consider it the same as any other medicin, vitamin or supplement and say it's allowed on whole30.

------

Thanks! I found somewhere else on the forums where someone suggested hot water with ACV (about 1 tsp), so I downed a cup of that and it REALLY made my throat feel better. Will stick to that and salt gargle for the rest of the day and see if anything improves. SO FAR (knock on wood) my head is clear and my sinuses are no worse than they usually are thanks to allergies. Just the sore throat. I really hope it doesn't get worse, because we are planning on going on a Very Big Hike on Saturday and I need ALL my energy for that.

Archived