day 28 - need encouragement

I've posted heaps about my less than stellar experience so far.  Sorry for sounding like a broken record.  I'm mostly just venting and hoping for some encouragement.  

I'm wrapping up day 28 here and still very fatigued.  I've had 2 or 3 days max the whole time where I've felt like my energy level was higher.  And I think it's actually gotten worse in the last week or week and a half.  I haven't switched up my eating at all.  Except maybe that I don't feel the need to snack between meals at all.  I eat starches at 2 or 3 meals with other vegetables.  And usually an apple or berries at 1 or 2 meals.  I don't think I'm eating low carb.  

Why am I so freaking tired?  And really struggling with coping with stress and anxiety and possibly depression.  The post in this section "How whole30 made me crazy and why" resonated with me because I just have not felt awesome.  I do have a history of depression but its been manageable for me for years.  Now, just based on the last 2 weeks, I'm considering going on medication again which is something I REALLY don't want to do, but it's spiraled out of control a bit for me.  I honestly can't tell if it's connected to my experience with the Whole30 or just life circumstances.  I was stressed out and tired before this.  I do feel like its a bit worse now but I'm also terrible at looking at things objectively.  I completely live in the moment in that way.  Whatever emotion I'm feeling, I can't imagine ever feeling any other way.  

I really thought fixing my nutrition would make more of a difference.  I'm so close to 30 days that I really want to finish it out.  I almost never stick to anything.  The fact that I've stuck to this is amazing and it has helped my cravings a lot.  But I feel like I'm getting really worn out now just trying to figure out what my issue is and how to fix it.  My rational thought is to finish the 30 days and then add back in white potatoes and non gluten grains and see if that makes a difference.  But my resolve is really weakening. I could see me finishing and just pigging out.  It feels like "well, nothing I'm doing is working anyway, so i might as well eat what i want."  Even though, I know that's not really true.

I would say my experience so far has been:

Positives:

- better sleep, not every night but definitely an improvement over pre-whole30

- cravings are much more manageable

- staying satisfied between meals

-improvement in bathroom habits (with help of warm lemon water in the morning)

Negatives

- still very tired /low energy all the time

- high anxiety and possible depression relapse

- no change in how clothes fit 

For the record, I've been to my doctor and had everything tested by blood work. It's all normal.  I need to schedule a follow up appointment but I'm not even sure what to try next besides anti-depressants which I'm not 100% sold on yet.

Honestly, if you were me, how would you proceed?  I think I'm just getting really burnt out on trying to fix these issues and I want to give up even though I know i'll still be miserable.  

I wish I had a crystal ball and could tell you why you're so tired. If I were you, I would want answers.

I like your rational thought to finish the 30 (just 2 more days!) and try reintroducing grains first to see if you feel better.  Then you can decide whether to take the potential next step on exploring anti-depressants. Maybe also find someone who specializes in functional medicine and the challenges you're having.

Hi Revived,

Tomorrow begins day 29 and then day 30 on wednesday. I'm really excited for myself and I hope for you too! I can't imagine doing this with young kids like you are. That's a huge achievement and an amazing gift for your family.

I feel for you. I've experienced enough positive changes from changing my diet this year that I do plan to continue this way of eating long-term. If I was in your situation though, I'm not sure I would. You had fatigue issues prior to W30, right? I'm not sure if you will experience anything better by adding back in some old foods, but if they are comfort foods or things you have really been missing, just being able to add them back in might relieve some stress for you. I think potatoes and non-gluten grains are probably some of the most harmless things you could choose to eat again, so personally I like your plan. Stress relief might be the key here, although I don't know what suggestions to offer you there.

If you think that a lack of carbs could be making your depression worse, try upping the amount of starchy veg you're eating. You mentioned the other post in this section about a similar situation to yourself, so I'd definitely say it's worth a shot at this point. Try more fruit/starchy veg and hopefully it'll help. If not, then see a doctor for sure. 

Please consider some alternatives to prescribed anti-depressants! I could point you in the right direction to get some education on the alternatives and there are many.

Things you should consider, or at least read up on include 5-HTP, St. John's Wart, Holy Basil, and Tumeric supplements. Do you take magnesium? Have you ever had your vitamin D level checked? This wouldn't be on a standard CBC panel. Deficiencies in either of these will certainly kill your energy levels!

Vitamin D and iron deficiency can both lead to fatigue.  Are you getting enough healthy fats?  Are you staying well hydrated?  How much caffeine are you taking in?  It can seem counter intuitive but often giving up the java often results in an energy boost.  Do you journal?  Can you add in some more self care like meditation or regular warm baths?  Your stress level sounds very high.  Nutrition can help but it can't fix that, you have to learn new coping mechanisms.  I've dealt with anxiety and depression off and on now for 7 years.  I believe that following a paleo diet does help me.  I have seen an increase in symptoms when I go off plan, I'm post W30.  I've seen a naturopath and have taken supplements like DocIKy mentioned.  Some of the biggest help though comes from exercise.  When I work out regularly my symptoms are much more manageable.  Again, I know you're feeling exhausted, so the idea of adding exercise might make you feel overwhelmed but it is a proven help in managing mild to moderate depression and anxiety.

I'm not sure if my doctor tested vitamin D.  He did the standard panel and nothing turned up.  So he did a second round and I'm not even sure what all that was.  I know he tested iron and kidney, liver function.  I need to make a follow up appointment so I can ask about the vitamin d.

I definitely don't want depression medication.  And I've avoided medication successfully for over 10 years which the exception of a few months where i had severe PPD but I weaned down and was fine.  The last couple weeks have been brutal though which i cant afford with 2 small children to look after and like i said, i dont know if the way I'm eating is making things worse or just the situations I have going on.  I don't really think it is the eating.  For example, the last 3 days, we've been scraping the bottom of the barrel with food till my husband gets paid.  As a result, i think I've had less carbs than usual just because we are out of everything.  And I've been relatively ok.  Tired, but not psychotic.  Last week I had 2 panic attacks and I was eating starches and fruit at least 2 meals a day.  

Still, the tired thing is a huge inconvenience. I would love to add more exercise but it seems beyond my grasp for the most part.  I force myself to go to zumba class like twice a week just to get out of the house and do something physical but the whole time, i feel like I'm being weighed down by a pile of rocks.  

I'm only 30 years old for goodness sakes!!!  I feel like I dont understand my body at all.  I also have this thing going on with my throat where my lymph nodes get swollen ALL the time.  On and off.  Recently, it's been constant.  Not as extreme as it sometimes is.  You know that feeling you get at the base of your skull when you've been straining your voice for a long time?  thats what it feels like all the time. and its sooo uncomfortable!!!  I mentioned it to my doctor and he said it looked fine.  I've had my thyroid tested multiple times and the tests always come back normal.  I know you're all not doctors.  It's just this type of stuff is weighing really heavily on me and I'm really torn between saying screw it, nothing is helping and taking some of the pressure off myself with the eating thing.  And continuing on in hopes that doing another round of whole30 somehow produces a miracle.

I would love to be able to do the consulting thing or function medicine - whatever that is but my insurance is crap and I'm broke which is why i resort to asking strangers on the internet.  I hope that doesn't sound snotty.  I don't mean it that way.  I just mean my resources are extremely limited.  But I'm so desperate to understand what the heck is going on with me!!!

also, i gave up coffee for the whole30 because i have no desire to drink it without milk and sugar.  about halfway through i started drinking 1 or 2 green teas a day.  I typically get at least 8 hours.  But no matter how much i sleep, i dont want to get out of bed in the morning.  and then i just continue feeling sluggish and weighed down all day.

It sounds like this is a trying time for you on several fronts. I applaud you for sticking with the W30 this far.

Whatever you decide to do next, don't give up on getting to the bottom of your health issues.  Maybe you and your husband need to find a way for you to get a professional clinical diagnosis, and that might mean making some tough decisions including borrowing money. 

Chronic fatigue syndrome could be one possibility of what you're experiencing. 

I have personally found qigong (a form of standing Chinese meditation), journaling, and my gym workouts helpful in managing my stress. I hope you find the right combination of measures that works for you.

I sincerely wish you well.

It really does sound like depression. What's your resistance to medication? (It's fine to not want it, just wondering what your specific resistance is to it as a short-term aid to get you over this bump.)

I dont really like medication of any kind.  I prefer to go the homeopathic route if at all possible.  With anti-depressants, it seems I'm super sensitive to it, even the low doses.  It makes me feel like I'm living in a bubble and I can't access my emotions at all.  I hate that.  It also makes me lose interest in my physical relationship with my husband, to be quite honest.  Which is just not something I'm willing to live with.  

The last few days I've felt that my mood has been a bit more stabilized.  I'm still tired but able to function for the most part. But this is day 30 for me and I STILL dont know where to go from here.

Hi Revived,

First of all, big congrats on sticking this out despite feeling like your results have been less than stellar. All of your efforts have helped to stabilize your blood sugar levels and nourish your body - but it sounds like you're needing a bit more than just the guidelines of a Whole30. You may want to look into Kathleen DesMaison's work at Radiantrecovery.com and her book Potatoes not Prozac - perhaps it will be helpful.

All the best,

J

If hitting the gym is too much, try to get outside and move your body even if it's only 15 minutes at a time to start with.  Take the kids to the park and play with them instead of watching.  Turn on some music and dance in the living room-they'll think you're the best.  Laugh.  Laughter is a proven mood enhancer. 

Depression is an ugly beast.  I did find relief with 5 HTP as well as Sam-E.  Both are available on line for less than I've seen in stores.  I use Vita Cost's website.  It's tough though to self diagnose and try to figure out what your dose would be.  Is your doctor open to alternative herbs and supplements?  He might be able to give you a starting dose recommendation. 

Here's a home remedy recipe I've used for sore throats and general feeling poorly: mix hot water, 2-tablespoons honey, 2-tablespoon vinegar, dash of cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, mix well, and drink.  I use apple cider vinegar, yes this is a post W30 recipe because of the honey.  I also often start my day with a tall glass of warm water that has 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and a whole lemon squeezed in.  Another recipe my acupuncturist gave me is 2 cups of warm water boiled/simmered for 10 minutes with the whites of 3-5 green onions and an inch of ginger, drain and drink hot before bed.  You can sweeten it, I don't, I like the spice.  One other general self care thing I love is a hot detox bath.  1 cup of epsom salts, 1 cup of baking soda and a handful of ground ginger in a hot bath, soak at least 40 minutes.  The first half is supposed to draw out the toxins, the second half is drawing in the good stuff. 

Your body is trying to talk to you, learning to listen and respond is hard.  We seem to have lost that natural ability.  100 years ago I doubt we'd have been sitting around the parlor talking about health, it wasn't a conscious decision, it just was instinctive.  But today there's so much noise and clutter to cut through, it's harder-but don't give up, your babies need a happy healthy Momma!

Archived