Can I have Applegate Farm (Deli Sliced) Turkey?

wholelife

Hi

It is OK to have Applegate Farms Smoked Turkey Breast on a Whole30? This is the kind the deli slices for you, NOT the prepackaged kind.

The ingredients are: Turkey, Water, Salt. 

Applegate turkey's are fed a diet without antibiotics, hormones or animal by-products.

I know it wouldn't be preferred over a nice organic chicken breast, but with two kids and a full-time job, this would be a big help to me!

Nicole

The closest Wegmann's is unfortunately 3+ hours away! Thanks for the advice, though. I called the closest Whole Foods and found out that they do have an in-house turkey they make that doesn't have anything off-limits in it, so I'll be making the 40-minute trek out there at some point this week.

BE CAREFUL with the Applegate deli meats. There was a big Whole30 outcry/outrage on the Applegate FB page about a year ago because they started adding carrageenan to their turkey. Melissa expressed serious disappointment in the brand because Whole9's been directing people to Applegate specifically as a safe food and they later changed recipes and snuck it in.

The response from Applegate didn't sound like they were changing their recipe back, but maybe they have. ALWAYS double check these products' ingredients before you purchase. Just because it's safe one day, doesn't mean that it'll be safe the next.

Does anyone know if the Boar's Head "all natural" turkey breast line is compliant? I've been scouring the internet trying to find an ingredients list and the best I could come up with is the fact that they don't add preservatives, MSG, nitrates etc. 

Re Boar's Head: I contacted them a year ago about this (long before I started my Whole 30), and here was our conversation:

~~~

Me: Could you tell me if your turkey (oven roasted turkey) and ham contain any corn or soy - in any form? Thank you.

Boar's Head: The only products you can eat without corn or soy is our Premium Lower Sodium Turkey and our Deluxe Roast Beef. Other products have items that are derived from corn. Please call our Nutrition Dept. at 800-352-6277 if you have further product questions. Thank you!

~~~

Those two options are also listed on the gluten-free menu, for what it's worth.

And seriously, how can they say that they don't add any fillers when nearly ALL of their meats contain corn and soy? Seems pretty deceptive to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived