Too much veg?

Leez72

Is it possible to overdo it on the veg or is it ok to just each as much as I would like?  I love my veg and make sure that I have a good 1-2 cups for breakfast, a big green salad for lunch and then another big helping with my evening meal, probably 2-3 cups.  I'm trying to mix it up as much as possible but do tend to have root veg a lot.  I'm generally eating a lot of carrots, some parsnips, sweet potatoes, squash, lots of lettuce, cabbage, zucchini, beetroots, spring greens, spinach and any other greens I can get my hands on.  I don't each much fruit, maybe about 2-3 pieces a week if you don't include tomatoes as I have one of those a day with my salad. 

I found I have been getting extremely bloated in the first few days, and think it was due to too many fibrous veggies. I could be wrong, but I was eating probably 3-4 cups of predominantly green veggies, plus lots of leafy greens/cabbage etc with each meal.

I have a few things to try to cut out the bloating, that's just one idea!

• Moderators

Ha! Love Tom Denham's reply. I agree, as long as you are used to this many veggies (ie your stomach doesn't complain) and you're getting the amount of protein and fat stipulated by the Meal Template guidelines ... enjoy!

I used to eat a decent amount of fruit, at least 2 servings a day, but during my Whole30 I kind of lost my taste for my daily banana. I much prefer the veggies. Best food ever!

If veggies cause bloating, try other forms or other preparation methods. Cook cruciferous veggies/greens, as it will blow your mind how little one leaf really is...

Mine have been predominantly cooked...I just eat a lot :) that's why I'm considering that its the type of vegies giving me issues. Before this I used to eat a lot raw which I don't think helped my digestive system much...

Tom's reply makes me feel better too... I recently posed the question on a fb w30 group, is it bad that I can kill off an entire 16oz bag of frozen broccoli (cooked, of course)? Haha... I'm now splitting them up into two meals but still, it's not difficult for me to cook up a 16oz bag of frozen veg's (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc) and eat the whole thing. :)

Tom's reply makes me feel better too... I recently posed the question on a fb w30 group, is it bad that I can kill off an entire 16oz bag of frozen broccoli (cooked, of course)? Haha... I'm now splitting them up into two meals but still, it's not difficult for me to cook up a 16oz bag of frozen veg's (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc) and eat the whole thing. :)

you need to eat with me!! i'll quite easily eat a 300g bag of spinach, slightly wilted, plus a whole pile of other vegies. I eat salad out of salad bowls - most people would share my salad between a family :P

you need to eat with me!! i'll quite easily eat a 300g bag of spinach, slightly wilted, plus a whole pile of other vegies. I eat salad out of salad bowls - most people would share my salad between a family :P

----

I don't see the point of side salads at restaurants.

A 300g bag of spinach and 300g bag of kale are lucky to last me three meals.  I definitely need a larger bowl. 

. I recently posed the question on a fb w30 group, is it bad that I can kill off an entire 16oz bag of frozen broccoli (cooked, of course)?  :)

I've recently taken to thawing the broccoli, coating it in fat and tossing it in the hot air fryer. I am shocked at how much it shrivels up and how easy it is to eat it all and I buy it in kilo bags which is over double the size of yours -_-

Archived