Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

Couldn't remember where to put this but somewhere along the way on this forum there was a message about how to cope with the hot flashes.  Now, almost in my 5th year, I FINALLY get the tip that has helped.  Just roll with it.  Simple and effective  I was almost in tears when I tried that the other night.  I was so happy.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!  I am 65 and my husband and I decided to try the Whole 30 diet after our son and his wife just raved about how much they learned when they did it. I just finished day 13 of my Whole 30. Feeling great ran 6.5 miles today. The longest i have done all summer.Could be the tiger blood as well as the perfect weather we are finally having here in the Lehigh Valley, Pa. The diet in some ways is very different then what I am used to. Pre-whole 30 I had greek yogurt for breakfast with granola (in summer.spring) and oatmeal in winter/fall. Eating fruit and eggs every morning has been a big change. I don't miss the yogurt though. I am having a hard time eating the potatoes...so I eat more of butternut squash. For lunch I used to have a salad with grain (wheatberry, quinoa, bulger wheat) or legumes, now I have a salad with avocado/fruit. Pre whole 30, I rarely had red meat...mostly chicken and fish. In the beginning of the whole thirty, I did have some problems "processing" the meat, but now my system seems to be adapting. It is great to be doing this in the summer b/c of all the great fruits and veggies. Other aspects of the diet, such as giving up bread, pasta, surgery deserts, bake goods, was not a big deal since I did not eat them much any way.  I have no idea if I lost any weight or inches b/c I am following the rule not to go on the scale. But that is really hard not to do. What I miss most is the wine that I  would have on the weekends or to celebrate the completion of a tough project. This weekend is really going to be hard. We will be visiting our dearest friends at our home we share on the bay. They are not doing whole30 and we always had fun cooking, eating and drinking together. I hope it is ok. We told them that we are not drinking alcohol...but I am not sure they understand how particular we are about the food we are eating and how we will be preparing it.  Well, this is more long winded then I thought I would be. Good luck to all those in the midst of whoe30 this month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello ladies.  I just saw this thread and decided to join in.  I am going to be 53 in a few months.  I am on day 78 of my whole30.  :)  My fiance is doing the plan as well which makes it easier even though we only share a house half time.  I only lost 2 lbs during the first 30 days but then another 4 in the next 30 and have lost 7.6 in total.  My fiance (who is 50) has lost about 20 in the same time.  

I felt fabulous for the first two months and was back running a bit and walking 100K steps per week at least.  I generally feel good but not the "tiger blood".  My allergies are less severe and were pretty much gone until the last few weeks.  I am sticking with it and with the exception of a glass of wine with dinner last week, I have been very good.  I am not sleeping well but don't feel as tired as I would have expected on 4-5 hours a night and I attribute that to the healthy eating plan.

We have decided to continue with the eating plan until we go to Mexico on January 1st since neither of us misses the foods (well occasionally I miss my dear friend diet pepsi).  

Cheryle

Hello all .  I turned 73 this year, and just started W30 for the first time.   I'm 6 ft tall.  Since menopause it has been so hard to lose weight.    I started having trouble with my feet aching and knees.   I have been on W30 now for 3 days and feel much better in the feet and knees.   I have to say I have some nausea off and on and diarrhea  .   Not sure if I have the flu or just reaction from the diet.  I will hang in there.   This is the first time I  have every given up dairy and legumes. I willing to go the whole 30!   I can do this.   

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I'm new to Whole30 and the forum, but glad to find this topic. I'm 55 and on day 13 today. I'm through menopause and healthy, and I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, but I'd really like to lose some extra body fat (maybe 10-15 lbs.). From what I've been reading, results of post-menopausal women on W30 are not spectacular when it comes to weight, so I'm keeping expectations low and trying to focus on the benefits. I've been doing circuit/strength training 3x/week with a trainer for the past year. I feel better and stronger, but visible changes are very subtle, and my weight and body composition haven't changed much. I feel like this is a puzzle to solve, and I'm hoping Whole30 has a key! NSV's so far: cravings have passed, I'm in control of sugar, sleep is better, I have less mid-section bloating. So far so good.

Hi all. I'm new to Whole30 and the forum, but glad to find this topic. I'm 55 and on day 13 today. I'm through menopause and healthy, and I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, but I'd really like to lose some extra body fat (maybe 10-15 lbs.). From what I've been reading, results of post-menopausal women on W30 are not spectacular when it comes to weight, so I'm keeping expectations low and trying to focus on the benefits. I've been doing circuit/strength training 3x/week with a trainer for the past year. I feel better and stronger, but visible changes are very subtle, and my weight and body composition haven't changed much. I feel like this is a puzzle to solve, and I'm hoping Whole30 has a key! NSV's so far: cravings have passed, I'm in control of sugar, sleep is better, I have less mid-section bloating. So far so good.

This sounds a lot like my experience. What I'm really after is to live well and stop wasting my energy judging myself for how I look. I meditate daily, and in a guided meditation I did recently, I heard - we have to stop thinking of bodies as something to be looked at and start thinking of them as successful. I have said terrible things to it in the past, but really, my body is remarkably successful and I am grateful.
  • 5 months later...

Hi Ladies!

I'm 57 and have eaten whatever I wanted for as long as I can remember.

I lost 25 pounds on a sugar-restriction diet a couple of years ago but put

it all back on.  I've never been clinically overweight but what weight there

is looks downright disgusting, even in reduced lighting.  I used to love going

to the spa...but now I don't even want other ladies to see my pasty, old self.

I always "swore" I'd never be able to follow a plan where I had to give up

anything I really liked...or where (heaven forbid) I had to cook something.

I've lived on canned, processed, restaurant-prepared and fast-foods for

almost 30 years...had ovarian cancer in 1999...and now have a host of discomforts

and annoying problems, including chronic pains - reflux - candida - vaginosis - 

inflammation of joints - degenerative disc disease - allergies - hypersensitivity

vasculitis - osteopenia - chronic venous insufficiency...the list goes on).  You'd think that with

all those problems, I'd have been doing something about it, but I am a teacher

who spends 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week in my classroom and I just come home

and open a can of soup on most days.  I probably have my "healthiest" meals when

I eat out because I hate to cook and feel I have no time for it.

I'm going to do this...but I'm quaking in my boots (and also worried that I am

hoping for too much of a "cure" from these dietary changes and afraid that 

if what I hope for doesn't come to pass, that I'll just go back to my old way of

living after I'm done...and eventually end up being shipped off to a nursing home

(or funeral parlor) if my health & strength continues to degrade.

I'd like to hear from ladies who are older who have had some symptomatic relief

and improvements in their health after doing this...and who are still sticking to

eating well.  

Thanks for your support! :) 

I'm glad this thread got revived.

I'm a 63 yr old, mom to a 15 yr old and work full time. I suffer with knee pain, depression/anxiety disorder. Difficulty sleeping and fatigue. It's day 8 of the 30. There are definite improvements. My knees no longer hurt and I am less sleepy in the mornings. I also have more energy. Oh, my blood pressure does not rise as much during a stressful day at work.

This way of eating had worked so well for me. I lost 25 pounds, was active and felt great. Then I feel like my hormones went crazy and the weight started coming back on. I was being so careful, but then gave up. I do ~80/20. My weight hasn't budged. I'm 54' menopausal, hypothyroid, frustrated and depressed. I need to get back to active and healthy.

Hi Ladies!

I'm 57 and have eaten whatever I wanted for as long as I can remember.

I lost 25 pounds on a sugar-restriction diet a couple of years ago but piut

it all back on.  I've never been clinically overweight but what weight there

is looks downright disgusting, even in reduced lighting.  I used to love going

to the spa...but now I don't even want other ladies to see my pasty, old self.

I always "swore" I'd never be able to follow a plan where I had to give up

anything I really liked...or where (heaven forbid) I had to cook something.

I've lived on canned, processed, restaurant-prepared and fast-foods for

almost 30 years...had ovarian cancer in 1999...and now have a host of discomforts

and annoying problems, including chronic pains - reflux - candida - vaginosis - 

inflammation of joints - degenerative disc disease - allergies - hypersensitivity

vasculitis - osteopenia - chronic venous insufficiency...the list goes on).  You'd think that with

all those problems, I'd have been doing something about it, but I am a teacher

who spends 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week in my classroom and I just come home

and open a can of soup on most days.  I probably have my "healthiest" meals when

I eat out because I hate to cook and feel I have no time for it.

I'm going to do this...but I'm quaking in my boots (and also worried that I am

hoping for too much of a "cure" from these dietary changes and afraid that 

if what I hope for doesn't come to pass, that I'll just go back to my old way of

living after I'm done...and eventually end up being shipped off to a nursing home

(or funeral parlor) if my health & strength continues to degrade.

I'd like to hear from ladies who are older who have had some symptomatic relief

and improvements in their health after doing this...and who are still sticking to

eating well.  

Thanks for your support! :) 

Started my first whole30 on June 17, 2014. What sold me on this way of eating was the difference I experienced only a few days into the program. My back pain was gone. Since that magical date, I no longer require cortisone injections in my back. I went for 2 months eating whole30 to help regulate my sluggish digestion as well, and if I indulge every now and then with cheese, I am keeping away from everything that gave me trouble during the reintro phase. I could go on and on about the benefits of this program, but when it comes to choosing what you put into your mouth, it's all about your mindset. I no longer am a regular on this forum, I do not like the way things have changed on here since I became a member, but I get emails when somebody posts something on this page, and I thought your post deserved a little bit of my time. Good luck with the program. You can do it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having to do a restart. I was feeling great but on day 21 I had an out of town emergency. My crazy life got even crazier. At 63 I know that moving forward is what's important.

Great thinking! You know that it won't take much time to undo what you did after 21 days of hard work. Just get back on the horse, and get all the benefits of a little longer whole30. How are you feeling in general?

Hi Ladies,

I started my Whole 30 on April 18th.  I am 66 (soon to be 67).  I have been an avid daily exerciser for many years but always fighting 10-15 pounds( I know this is not about the scale!!!!).  As I am aging I have "belly fat" that seems to be increasing overnight so I hope that by reset I will see changes in body composition. 

So far I feel pretty good and not too deprived.  Last night we were invited to dinner at friends and I stayed compliant.  Before I started Whole 30 I was a nightly wine drinker.  Last night I was not even tempted!!! :)  :)  :) SO Proud!!!!  

Having a seasoned support group I think will be very helpful.

Hutlifr: I'm doing okay. I've had some 10 and 15 hour work days plus travel time. I'm tired but some of that is because I am also dealing with the ex husbands estate and a teenager who is missing her dad.

Bzh: Way to go on the lack of temptation.

Hi Ladies,

I started my Whole 30 on April 18th.  I am 66 (soon to be 67).  I have been an avid daily exerciser for many years but always fighting 10-15 pounds( I know this is not about the scale!!!!).  As I am aging I have "belly fat" that seems to be increasing overnight so I hope that by reset I will see changes in body composition. 

So far I feel pretty good and not too deprived.  Last night we were invited to dinner at friends and I stayed compliant.  Before I started Whole 30 I was a nightly wine drinker.  Last night I was not even tempted!!! :)  :)  :) SO Proud!!!!  

Having a seasoned support group I think will be very helpful.

Yeah bzh!...you will see how even that belly fat starts Melting away...

Hutlifr: I'm doing okay. I've had some 10 and 15 hour work days plus travel time. I'm tired but some of that is because I am also dealing with the ex husbands estate and a teenager who is missing her dad.

Bzh: Way to go on the lack of temptation.

LydiaJo, you got a lot on your plate, and dealing with a grieving daughter I can only imagine how challenging that is... I find myself able to deal with so much more stress when eating right, so in the last two years, I started whole30s during my most challenging life events, and they helped me cope with the added burden of the stress.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm one of those "older women" doing a whole30. I'm 61 and I have fibromyalgia, low back disc degeneration, type 2 diabetes and I need to lose over 100 pounds.  I'm in a wheelchair most of the time.  I also have very "white-grey" hair and am not going to mess with it. 

I'm on day 13, tomorrow will be two weeks eating this way and I'm so happy I decided to do this.

I lost weight the first week and also lost lots of inflamation.  My fibro pain is much better and my energy level is amazing.  We are readying our home to put on the market and I can't believe all I've done this past week and not "paid in pain".  I've even walked a few steps and will continue to increase my attempts to strengthen my legs again.

Fortunately my dh is happy with this way of eating.  He has been very complimentary of the dinners I've been fixing.  He's much healthier than I am and exercises daily.  in 2003, he had a heart attack and 4 by-passes.  Afterwards, he changed his lifestyle significantly with eating more veggies and exercising daily.  This way of eating should be helpful to him also, as he still has high BP and cholesterol.

Well, I'm one of those "older women" doing a whole30. I'm 61 and I have fibromyalgia, low back disc degeneration, type 2 diabetes and I need to lose over 100 pounds.  I'm in a wheelchair most of the time.  I also have very "white-grey" hair and am not going to mess with it. 

I'm on day 13, tomorrow will be two weeks eating this way and I'm so happy I decided to do this.

I lost weight the first week and also lost lots of inflamation.  My fibro pain is much better and my energy level is amazing.  We are readying our home to put on the market and I can't believe all I've done this past week and not "paid in pain".  I've even walked a few steps and will continue to increase my attempts to strengthen my legs again.

Fortunately my dh is happy with this way of eating.  He has been very complimentary of the dinners I've been fixing.  He's much healthier than I am and exercises daily.  in 2003, he had a heart attack and 4 by-passes.  Afterwards, he changed his lifestyle significantly with eating more veggies and exercising daily.  This way of eating should be helpful to him also, as he still has high BP and cholesterol.

I'm cheering you on - you have everything to gain!!!! Except weight and loss of mobility. Keep on keepin' on!

I'm chiming in here. 61 years young. I feel great. I'm on day 43. I will be retiring in September and wanted to retire as healthy as I was 32 years ago when I first started with the city. . My whole 30 journey has been one of the best things I've done for myself. My most recent labs showed low levels of calcium and Vitamin D. Even though I walk outside with work buddies. My doctor has me on mega dose of Calcium w vitamin D tablets twice a day. Thinking to save money. I went generic and didn't read the label. Soybean oil and corn oil are listed as ingredients, reading label after getting home. Lesson learned. Reading labels is a good thing. I need to read the label of the more expensive nature brand and then decide. I never read labels like I do now. I'm planning to transition off the whole30 in mid June. All the best to everyone on their journey.

Way to go Hapagirl... This way of eating has changed my life, and made all my boo boos disappear. Accidental ingestion of something forbidden does not nullify what you have done so far. Try homeopathy remedies. They are safe...good luck with introductions,,,

Archived