Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

Please stay off the scale. This is actually one of the rules of Whole30 so if you are repeatedly getting on the scale, you are not doing a Whole30. It is not uncommon for people to lose a lot of inflammation in their first couple weeks of Whole30 and depending on your personal context prior to coming on Whole30, this could be the case for you.

Further, it is unnecessary and highly discouraged to be logging your calories or macros while doing Whole30. We encourage you to put the trackers aside and concentrate on how your body is feeling, your energy, mood, sleep etc. Using a tracker in the way that you are discounts you as a human being with individual and unique experiences and feelings. If you are extra hungry one day but the tracker says you should be done eating, it can cause you to discount what you are feeling.

I get this, I haven't started my Whole 30 yet, I'm in a learning phase, and my daughter gets married this weekend so I am not starting before then.  But once I get organized and have read the book I'll jump in and do it right.  I was logging just to get a sense of how this plan plays out.  I love the data, but I am not trying to fit my food into any sort of requirements.  I'm excited about putting away the scale and the logging activity and just eat three meals a day.  Right now, I'm astounded at the amount of inflammation and such that could be draining away so quickly.  Its encouraging to me that this plan could really help me when so many others have left me worse off than when I began. 

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I have a lot of 'cues' during my day tha say - eat.Also, I want to ask about my normal favorite breakfast:Usually 1 nice big crispy apple cut upa sprinkling of frozen blueberries, raspberries and blackberries1 spoonful of unsweetened cocount, ground flax seeds, whole flaxseeds and a handful of pecans ground up.

Hi SuAnn,

Your normal favourite breakfast is a really big sugar bomb right into your system. Consider for a moment that your body has fasted for about 12 hours (overnight since dinner) and the first thing that you are giving it is a sugar load. This does nothing to advise your body that it should also seek out and create the potential for using fat as energy as well. Second, fruit by itself causes wicked blood sugar swings that create crashes later, volatile energy and even late day/evening cravings and pseudo hunger. Finally, your breakfast contains no protein which is what would keep you going for 4-5 hours. Nuts and coconut are a fat, not a protein. I would recommend that you read our meal planning template and get behind creating meals that contain protein, veggies and fats and which will ultimately keep you going for 4-5 hours.

This 3 meal a day eating will also go a long way to dulling down or eliminating all of those "cues" that you're getting to eat all the time. First, if you regularly eat fruit alone for breakfast, you'll be hungry 2 hours later if not sooner. Second, processed foods create further "need" by design as well as by the fact that they are nutrient deficient so your body keeps begging for more, more, more, more in order to try and get the nutrients that it needs....which are generally not available from processed foods.

Does that help?

Last, we ask you to consider that women have been sold a lie. Particularly as we continue on through life and count the years in a series of decades rather than as a series of seasons, we women need sturdy, strong bodies with a healthy layer of (hang on I'm gonna say it) fat. I'm not suggesting that we aim to be larger than our bodies want us to be; I am instead saying that there is no one on the planet who looks like women are told we need to look (even the models who show us those looks are photoshopped).

Thanks, AmyS, for this perspective. Now that I'm in my 50s (and have been eating paleo/primal for 14 years), it's really a struggle to keep weight off, even when I stick to the template, eat cleanly, and move around a lot. It's no fun to gain weight around my midsection. I feel that, at 53, to lose weight on Whole30, I'd have to eat much smaller portions, or far fewer carbs--when I eat to the full template, I can't fit into my regular clothes. So perhaps the answer is to accept a new weight and shape, rather than to be hungry? There don't seem to be simple answers to this. 

Hi SuAnn,

Your normal favourite breakfast is a really big sugar bomb right into your system. Consider for a moment that your body has fasted for about 12 hours (overnight since dinner) and the first thing that you are giving it is a sugar load. This does nothing to advise your body that it should also seek out and create the potential for using fat as energy as well. Second, fruit by itself causes wicked blood sugar swings that create crashes later, volatile energy and even late day/evening cravings and pseudo hunger. Finally, your breakfast contains no protein which is what would keep you going for 4-5 hours. Nuts and coconut are a fat, not a protein. I would recommend that you read our meal planning template and get behind creating meals that contain protein, veggies and fats and which will ultimately keep you going for 4-5 hours.

This 3 meal a day eating will also go a long way to dulling down or eliminating all of those "cues" that you're getting to eat all the time. First, if you regularly eat fruit alone for breakfast, you'll be hungry 2 hours later if not sooner. Second, processed foods create further "need" by design as well as by the fact that they are nutrient deficient so your body keeps begging for more, more, more, more in order to try and get the nutrients that it needs....which are generally not available from processed foods.

Does that help?

Yes, Ladyshanny. That helps. I think reading the book this time will help too. I did review some of the materials I have and looked at the 'meal map'. Is this what every meal should look like?

This morning I had some sautéed veggies, frozen spinach and 2 poached eggs with seasonings. It was good but in the summer I really like the refreshing fruit. And I have always read what good healthful properties the dark berries have. Is there a way to incorporate them into my meal plans?

I appreciate the help. I am thinking this is what might have been missing from my failed attempts.

• Administrators

Yes, Ladyshanny. That helps. I think reading the book this time will help too. I did review some of the materials I have and looked at the 'meal map'. Is this what every meal should look like?

This morning I had some sautéed veggies, frozen spinach and 2 poached eggs with seasonings. It was good but in the summer I really like the refreshing fruit. And I have always read what good healthful properties the dark berries have. Is there a way to incorporate them into my meal plans?

I appreciate the help. I am thinking this is what might have been missing from my failed attempts.

Absolutely you can include berries and they do have awesome healthful properties! The fruit guidelines are 1-2 fist sized servings per day with meals, never alone. Have a proper template meal including protein, veggies and fat and then add the berries. You can also use fruits like a condiment, apples or berries in a green salad, pineapple sauteed with chicken and a spicy jerk seasoning, dried currants in a cauli rice.

Hi. I am 52 and starting my first Whole 30 tomorrow. Wish me good stuff? 

Been gluten free for over 4 years. Have a host of autoimmune stuff--asthma, allergies, thyroid disease but it is the joint pain that is bothering me the most right now. Knees, feet and hands. I like my sugar but figure that it is at least contributing to all of this. I figure I might need to do the AIP plan but thought it was worth a try to do this first. Yes, I have a bunch of weight to lose, too but it is the joint pain that is kicking my butt right now. 

So today I have a list: make some compliant dressing, roast some vegies and go buy a few things not in the house right now. Oh, and hide the stuff that I should not have and will call my name this next month. Looking forward to this!

Hi. I am 52 and starting my first Whole 30 tomorrow. Wish me good stuff? 

Been gluten free for over 4 years. Have a host of autoimmune stuff--asthma, allergies, thyroid disease but it is the joint pain that is bothering me the most right now. Knees, feet and hands. I like my sugar but figure that it is at least contributing to all of this. I figure I might need to do the AIP plan but thought it was worth a try to do this first. Yes, I have a bunch of weight to lose, too but it is the joint pain that is kicking my butt right now. 

So today I have a list: make some compliant dressing, roast some vegies and go buy a few things not in the house right now. Oh, and hide the stuff that I should not have and will call my name this next month. Looking forward to this!

Good luck! I do have a suggestion, however, based on my experience. Last year, when I did my first Whole30, I was in a very similar situation: 52 years old, gluten-free for 12 years, trying Whole30 to deal with persistent joint pain. Whole30 was great in many ways, but I really increased my nightshade consumption without quite realizing it (I love tomatoes, paprika, red peppers, eggplant--and I was eating a lot of them). My joint pain got a lot worse on Whole30. So the 2nd month, I cut out nightshades and it helped. (But what really helped was bioidentical, transdermal estrogen--joint pain is very, very common in menopause). Now I can eat moderate servings of nightshades and it's fine. You might want to be careful not to make the same mistake I made, and increase your nightshade consumption. Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up! I'll try to avoid, or at least not increase the nightshades. Are white and/or sweet potatoes considered nightshades? Beets are okay, right?

But tell me about the transdermal estrogen. Where did you get and how much? I've had the joint pain for years...it does move around to different joints over time. Seems to be worse the past 6 months or so but maybe it is just different joints that are acting up! 

....and other days - fresh berries with COCONUT CREAM and coconut flakes.  yum.  

Sorry, but this is not a good breakfast choice... Not only is it not per the meal template, but you're starting your day with a sugar bomb & setting yourself up for cravings, hunger, tiredness etc later in the day when your blood sugar levels inevitably crash, and it also screams 'dessert' at me - or at the very least an attempt to replace an old habit of fruit & yoghurt....

Stick with the sauteed greens, salsa, eggs & avocado!

• Moderators

Thanks for the heads up! I'll try to avoid, or at least not increase the nightshades. Are white and/or sweet potatoes considered nightshades? Beets are okay, right?

Here's a list of nightshade vegetables

Sorry, but this is not a good breakfast choice... Not only is it not per the meal template, but you're starting your day with a sugar bomb & setting yourself up for cravings, hunger, tiredness etc later in the day when your blood sugar levels inevitably crash, and it also screams 'dessert' at me - or at the very least an attempt to replace an old habit of fruit & yoghurt....

Stick with the sauteed greens, salsa, eggs & avocado!

I actually read her statement as saying she has greens, salsa, and eggs every morning, plus some days she adds avocado, and on other days she adds berries with coconut cream and coconut flakes. That would be fine, as long as it doesn't cause sugar cravings the rest of the day. But if I misread it, you're right, obviously -- just fruit and coconut cream, not a good breakfast.

Here's a list of nightshade vegetables

I actually read her statement as saying she has greens, salsa, and eggs every morning, plus some days she adds avocado, and on other days she adds berries with coconut cream and coconut flakes. That would be fine, as long as it doesn't cause sugar cravings the rest of the day. But if I misread it, you're right, obviously -- just fruit and coconut cream, not a good breakfast.

Actually, now that I've read your post and gone back to the post in question you could be right - in which case I take it back...!

But tell me about the transdermal estrogen. Where did you get and how much? I've had the joint pain for years...it does move around to different joints over time. Seems to be worse the past 6 months or so but maybe it is just different joints that are acting up! 

White potatoes yes, they are nightshades. Sweet potatoes aren't, so they're fine.

I got a prescription and went on 0.05 mg Vivelle patch for about a year--it's bioidentical, and because it's a patch, it's transdermal, which means it's much less risky than other forms of hormone therapy (ie, no risk of venous thrombosis--blood clots). I found it helpful for reducing hot flashes, brain fog & cognition issues, sleep issues, and joint issues related to menopause. I went off it after a year, and the joint pain is returning, but it's controllable with glucosamine supplements (plus turmeric, vitamin D, and B vitamins). 

• Administrators

White potatoes yes, they are nightshades. Sweet potatoes aren't, so they're fine.

Some people who are sensitive to nightshades can also be to sweet potatoes, just be cautious of your reaction.

Some people who are sensitive to nightshades can also be to sweet potatoes, just be cautious of your reaction.

Oh no! I love sweet potatoes so much. Bummer if that's why my knee is hurting. But I think it has more to do with jumping across the creek, slipping, and landing on my knee and twisting my ankle.

• Administrators

Oh no! I love sweet potatoes so much. Bummer if that's why my knee is hurting. But I think it has more to do with jumping across the creek, slipping, and landing on my knee and twisting my ankle.

Haha, probably!  That sounds ouchie!

Hi I'm 53 and finished my first Whole 30, eleven days ago. I lost 6 lbs and convinced that this is the way I need to live my life. Kids are gone and living their own lives so I am enbracing the "empty nester"! Just need to get my husband to exercise more, so hopefully we can be on this same journey together!

I'm 55, and just started my first Whole30 yesterday. I'm late coming to the game - having just started menopause, and am hoping Whole30 will help with the hot flashes, joint stiffness, and really hoping for some weight control. I recovered from two years of chronic fatigue syndrome nearly 20 years ago by following a strict elimination diet that included removing dairy, wheat and all forms of sugar/sweeteners (including fruit) for 90 days, so I already know that removing those items will be beneficial. However, I always have a slight case of post-nasal drip, occasional brain-fog, and candida, and am hoping to pin-point the cause(s) of these issues. I'm glad to find a forum for women in our time of life. :)

Hi, This is my firs Whole 30. I have tried Paleo and it did work whkle i djd it but was not that committed. This time around i have commit myself to becoming more healthy. I am 56 years old and am experiencing all the things i would expect this 56 year old overweightbody to experience. I have joint pain, my middle is increasing, and my stamina and ambition are decreasing. I have researched and prepared for the Whole 30. Right now the first 2 days have not been bad but today is definitely a different animal. I have no energy and absoleutely no food sounds good but the sugar dragon is knocking on my door. I have forced myself to eat breakfast and lunch.

How has everyone else gotten through these few days. Any helpful hints or suggestions would be appreciated. I look forward to sharing this journey with everyone.

Hi DonnaB and LindaLou

I've restarted my W30 Day 3

I wish I knew of this program before meno but did not so I'm post meno

You'll benefit in so many ways from this new way of life It's helped me tremendously

I can breathe better sleep clearer thinking way more energy eating and enjoying all my meals

I've found out there are foods I'll never add back in to my W30 and there are few I miss

Things taste better and are appetizing

These choices are consious and deliberate

Like someone said I only have to eat 3 meals

Not hungry all day anymore very satisfied

I don't overeat or snack

Lots of benefits here

The forum is informative and helpful

You'll find your way

Thanks for the words of encouragement, MeGA"gardener"! I admit, I'm a bit nervous about the weight-loss aspect, as it's easy for good, savory food to become "food with no brakes" for me. For that reason I'm limiting the nuts and nut butters. So far I'm not having any trouble filling up at meals and staying full until the next meal, so that's good. My sugar dragon (if you could call it that) is small enough to live under my bed - lol! That is one of the benefits of having grown up in a bakery - constant access removed the craving for sweets for me. That being said, I attribute my candida more to use of antibiotics in my younger days (lots of sinus infections), so W30 is just part of my health journey. So far day 3, and doing okay. We will see how tomorrow goes.  :)

Archived