Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but this is not a good breakfast choice... Not only is it not per the meal template, but you're starting your day with a sugar bomb & setting yourself up for cravings, hunger, tiredness etc later in the day when your blood sugar levels inevitably crash, and it also screams 'dessert' at me - or at the very least an attempt to replace an old habit of fruit & yoghurt....

Stick with the sauteed greens, salsa, eggs & avocado!

Um - the berries and coconut cream were part of the sauteed greens, salsa & poached egg.  Sometimes I have avo, greens, egg and sometimes I have berries, coconut cream, greens & poached egg.  Following the template.

Um - the berries and coconut cream were part of the sauteed greens, salsa & poached egg.  Sometimes I have avo, greens, egg and sometimes I have berries, coconut cream, greens & poached egg.  Following the template.

Yep, Shannon pointed out how she had read it n the way that you say rather than how I'd understood it and I took it back - apologies!

Thanks MeGA"gardener"! Going into day 6 i cannotice small changes. My hunger is not as bad as i thought it would be. There are craving, especially for crunchy stuff like chips and crackers, but have been able to busy myself with other things. I can already notice changes in sleep patterns and how i feel in the morning. Thank you for the encouragement.

Nearly done with week 2. Sleeping really well....and feeling energetic. Have been picture perfect on this thing, well almost. I did have a pat of butter on part of a baked potato when we went out for a steak. Normally would have had a couple of glasses of wine so......could have been worse. 

Weighed on day 1 and day 2, only bec. I was feeling super bloated on day 1 probably from my intake of junk Memorial weekend as I convinced myself to do this and I wanted a realistic starting weight. (I did drop 3 pounds overnight...)

Joint pain is still there, perhaps a bit better, I'm not sure. I probably should eliminate nightshades but I am not ready to do that. Give me 30 days, maybe 60 and then I'll see. 

glad I started and here's to continued success!

tp645

Have you eliminated dairy?

Joint pain could also be from white potato

Correct me if I'm wrong Mods

Don't weigh yourself until your compliant W30 is over you'll be pleasantly surprised

Anything compromised isn't worth it

Don't kid yourself :)

Stay fully hydrated too

I hope you find out why and feel better too

Yes, I have eliminated dairy (well i did have the one pat of butter on a potato when out for dinner). I have had 2 white potatoes in the first 2.5 weeks. 

Joint pain does seem to be improving some the last few days. Less aches and pains in general. Clothes have been feeling loose but have resisted stepping on the scale....really trying to do this "perfectly". 

• Administrators

Yes, I have eliminated dairy (well i did have the one pat of butter on a potato when out for dinner). I have had 2 white potatoes in the first 2.5 weeks. 

Joint pain does seem to be improving some the last few days. Less aches and pains in general. Clothes have been feeling loose but have resisted stepping on the scale....really trying to do this "perfectly". 

For tp645 and anyone else happening across this thread, please remember that eating off plan ingredients such as dairy breaks your reset.  This isn't meant to discourage you but to remind you that a major part of the Whole30 is a food elimination protocol and that requires absolute compliance or you don't get the clean slate with which to do reintroductions to see how the off-plan foods will affect your body.

Hey girls! I am so happy to have found this site and especially this thread. 

My name is GAgal (aka Donna) and I am 48, married for 29 years with 2 grown children.  I have done clean eating, low carb, paleo and I finally realised that I was getting myself ready to do Whole 30. I have always been interested in eating well and have to admit I am very picky about food.  We grow a lot of our own food and I try to buy local as much as I can.

I know I definitely feel so much better when I eliminate grains and also most dairy.  My hot flashes aren't so bad (I'm in the midst of "the change") and my joint pain is much less.

I am looking forward to this journey and to getting to know you.  I have to admit that I am a little nervous about the Whole 30 but I am determined to make this change.

Welcome, GAgal. I'm Donna, too! I think we are all a little nervous about starting W30, mainly because we hope to see so much improvement, and are not sure if we will. I know I do - but I'm trying to keep in mind that choosing a healthier lifestyle will come with benefits, regardless if they are big or small. DH and I started on June 1, so today is day 15 for us. I'm just going through menopause, as well, so I understand where you're coming from. So far, the dietary changes have made a significant difference in how frequently I get the hot flashes. I also started drinking Traditional Medicinals peppermint tea, and the one day I didn't drink the tea I noticed just a couple of "warm spells" - not full-fledged flashes but just heating up a little - so I think the tea is helping, as well. Best of luck to you on this journey!

• Administrators

Thanks DonnaB! The herbals definitely help with the hoy flashes. I have also noticed that the more caffeine, wheat and sugar that I have the worse they are. This was one of my motivations for doing W30.

Caffeine, sugar and wheat are all endocrine disruptors so it only makes sense that when we eat too much of them we get wild hormone fluctuations that make all of our symptoms worse.  I get worse cramps, flooding and some hot flashes during my period if I have indulged in too much sugar, for sure!

Caffeine, sugar and wheat are all endocrine disruptors so it only makes sense that when we eat too much of them we get wild hormone fluctuations that make all of our symptoms worse.  I get worse cramps, flooding and some hot flashes during my period if I have indulged in too much sugar, for sure!

I know you're right, Ladyshanny, but I do miss my morning cup of black coffee [sigh]. I didn't even have it over the weekend, last weekend - just stuck to the peppermint tea which only contains - peppermint! Yesterday I really wanted a little caffeine boost, so I went to the stash of tea I keep in my desk drawer at work, and was much chagrined to discover that ALL of my flavored Bigelow Green teas have soy lecithin in them. Every. single. one! ARGGGHHHHH! The only teas that were compliant also did not have caffeine.

Caffeine is not an endocrine disruptor. I'm a scientist who has done research for many years on endocrine disruption, focusing on estrogen metabolism. And this is just not true. Caffeine may have problematic effects for some individuals, but not because it is affecting estrogen or other steroid hormones. 

• Administrators

Caffeine is not an endocrine disruptor. I'm a scientist who has done research for many years on endocrine disruption, focusing on estrogen metabolism. And this is just not true. Caffeine may have problematic effects for some individuals, but not because it is affecting estrogen or other steroid hormones. 

Wow!  Thanks so much for weighing in!  Can you explain why drinking coffee makes cramping and flow so much worse (my personal instance, not generalizing).  I always thought (and was told) it was because it can be a hormone disruptor.

Hi Everyone!  So glad I found this thread.  I'd love to join y'all.  

I'm on day 73 (started April 12).  DH is on this journey with me.  As of day 60, I have lost 10 lbs (weighing every 30 days for as long as I continue...and probably just "forever", if I don't end up totally breaking up with the scale).  I do have at least 30 more lbs I want to lose, but that would be a bonus.  

I'm really following this lifestlye to get/stay as healthy as possible, and to try and minimize any impact that menopause will have on me.  My sis is 2 years younger than I am, and is in the throes of night sweats and hot flashes right now.  Not sure why she's ahead of me on this schedule, other than because of how I'm eating right now.  She doesn't eat gluten, but does eat other grains as well as everything else on the "no-no" Whole30 list.  Even though I haven't experienced hot flashes or night sweats, I can tell you that I've been as cranky as H-E-double-hockey-sticks, but no hot flashes thank heavens.

The reasons I'm still following W30 with no reintroductions are:

• Hoping that eventually I'll get control of my crankiness mentioned above.
  • Sugar dragon still going strong - even just from fruit, which I try to limit to a couple times a week.
  • I already know that I'm very sensitive to dairy - no desire to experience the cramping and nausea that dairy causes.
  • Wheat...without sugar...meh...
  • Don't really miss legumes
  • I think soy is evil anyway...why add it back in?
  • Not much of a drinker anyway, so no loss there. 
  • I haven't hit "tiger blood" yet.  I've had it within 30 days in the past when I've done a W30, but right now I'm not feeling it.  I've been very tired - drained, exhausted even.  I guess I just have some extra healing to do...

To introduce myself (since I lurk and read a lot, but don't post very often)  I turn 49 next month.  One teenager at home, one out of the house.  Two dogs, two cats.  And DH, of course...who is on W30 plan with me.  

Hair?  Until last month, natural...then I broke down and got some highlights.  So, not full color, but tried to brighten things up a bit with some highlights - I don't have a lot of gray, but what gray there is in my mousey brown hair was looking quite drab and dull.  Haven't yet decided if I'll continue or not.  Time will tell I suppose.   :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I have been exposed to and/or doing W30 since 2013. Initially doing about 4 months in 2013 losing about 25 pounds and a host of other great things, ie decreasing joint pain, sleeping better, less mood swings. Last year was very stressfull with hubby sick in hospital for 2 months, and me still working full time. I am 56 and have struggled all my life with food as the enemy-in my mind. Weighed the most at 240, and the least at 137 in 2013(I rocked that weight!!!) Was so thrilled and excited to finally get a hold on the food thing.

But let high stress and hospital food creep in....gained about 20 pounds back last year even though I was 90% compliant. BUT my high level of activity and exercise regime went into the toilet. During that time, my hip degenerated quickly and here I sit with a hip replacement(6 weeks ago but had to have surgery again due to wound infection). Just got the clearance to sweat.

I thought I had finally found a way to eat to keep me healthy and control my weight. I like this program...it is very exclusive meaning alot of food you just cant eat-very time consuming in the kitchen as well as in the mind. When things are going well-no issue with finding the time to cook, eat well etc. The issue I have found is I still have food issues even at my age-at it is upsetting to me to be fighting this, still.

Since my hip surgery, I have gained another 10 pounds. I have not been following w30 for about 2-3 months. Want to get back on it but wondering if this is the right time.

I need to trust myself around all these unhealthy foods we are in contact if we live in the real world. I bring my lunch to work, eat breakfast in the car on the way to work and can certainly make better choices. I love this plan in that the food is exceedingly healthy.

Even though this isn't for weight loss-it is mentioned multiple times in the first book and I suspect what most people come to it for at least to start with. I want to be healthy, of course, and that includes being at a healthy weight-sooner rather than later.

I will be able to increase my activity but certainly not at the volume or intensity as I was doing before the surgery. I was training for half marathons and longer distance triathlons that added up to about 10 hours of activity a week. That, coupled with the W30, led me to the best shape in my life. I want that back-how do I do that? Doing just the w30 does not lead to weight loss-I could slightly reduce the portion size on the lower end of the template. I am aiming for 5-6 hours of mild intensity activty increasing as I heal over time.

Looking for suggestions to get back what disappeared just 2 years ago-and how to stay in control when the rug gets pulled out from under. Staying in control, having to eat off plan in emergencies without blowing up are key.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

I don't understand why this wouldn't be for weight loss and be an effective way to lose weight - maybe not as fast as we would all want (like instantaneous! ) but it seems to me that if one is over weight and eats this healthfully you couldn't help but lose weight.

• Administrators

I don't understand why this wouldn't be for weight loss and be an effective way to lose weight - maybe not as fast as we would all want (like instantaneous! ) but it seems to me that if one is over weight and eats this healthfully you couldn't help but lose weight.

That's true, SuAnn.  Sort of.  Weight loss isn't a calorie equation though, as much as the diet industry would have us believe that it is.  Weight loss comes when the body is healthy and hormonally balanced.  Because many people come to Whole30 with a host of medical issues, they can do all the right things and eat per our template and lists and still not lose weight because their bodies are prioritizing healing over weight loss and hormone balancing.  And that's totally fine!

We also have good number of people coming here after years of calorie restriction.  Unfortunately the less you eat, the less your metabolic fire burns which means that you need to eat less and less just to maintain.  Folks come to Whole30 and we tell them to eat food.  Eat. Food!  Protein and fat and veggies and all teh good stuff.  As much as you need to get you 4-5 hours between meals.  Sometimes, if they have been restricting, their metabolism is slowed and their hormones are all wacky and they may temporarily experience a gain rather than a loss.  Because the body needs to get used to and trust that there is no famine coming, it hangs onto everything it's being given.  

Finally, there's "weight to lose" and there's the weight people (mostly women) want to lose because they have been programmed to believe that they need to be smaller, leaner, fitter.  Women are genetically designed to carry extra fat, we're not meant to be lean.  The women that we are given to match ourselves to are airbrushed and photoshopped.  Even the women in the magazines don't exist although you can clearly see a "photo" of them.  If you are eating enough food to nourish your body and your lifestyle and you don't immediately (or ever) lose weight, that can be an excellent trigger to re-examine the things you believe about how you need to look in order to be a valuable human being.  (tip: your value has nothing to do with your appearance)

Those are just some of the reasons why we ask people not to focus on weight loss during the Whole30.  I could give you more.............

:)

Wow!  Thanks so much for weighing in!  Can you explain why drinking coffee makes cramping and flow so much worse (my personal instance, not generalizing).  I always thought (and was told) it was because it can be a hormone disruptor.

Sorry to have missed this question! Coffee is a vasoconstricter--it constricts your blood vessels. This is great for reducing certain kinds of headaches (lots of headache pills add caffeine), but it can increase menstrual cramping and menstrual flow in some women. If caffeine bothers you, avoiding it is a good idea. But for many people, coffee's health benefits far outweigh its negatives, so --like so many other things--the decision about caffeine consumption should to be tailored to each person.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm 56 in 6 days and it's day 29 and I've been diligent, I haven't lost a pound but I feel like a million dollars.. I don't eat processed foods or sugar unless I have the munchies...I see no one has updated this forum since 2013. I'm

Pretty sure what my trigger foods are..dairy & sugar.. I'm a light drinker and narrowed down that it was " the juice" in my drinks that caused my headaches so prior to starting this I had eliminated all juice from my diet as I'm only a social drinker it's being out and trying to get fresh fruit juice not sweetened so I just ask for a squeeze of lime and a squeeze of lemon on my tequila rocks.

Hi, I am a soon to be 58 3rd time W30er. I did two in 2013 and have been pretty good since then, but got into some bad habits lately. So I need to get back on track. I started on the 1st. This being my 3rd time, it's been a lot easier for me than the first two. I just have to stay motivated. In addition, I am doing the 10,000 steps program to try to be more active. I already feel improvement by eliminate that evil sugar dragon from my diet.

Archived