Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

Thank you Hutlifr!  That's a great idea.  The funnel cakes, while yummy I'm sure, are not my downfall, it has to be the garlic fries. LOL  On a positive note, I went out today to lunch with my husband (who is not doing the whole 30) and I managed to eat Grilled Chicken, salad, and tri tip (all plain, no marinades) with water, while he ate the same along with rice and beans and tortillas.  I didn't even miss the rice and beans.  I did miss the tortillas though, lol.  But I did it.  Small step, but I'm proud. :)

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am trying to focus on the other health benefits and not weight. I think the other benefits will lead to weight loss as will stabilizing the blood sugars. Even after I am done, the only thing I may reintroduce is some cultured dairy. The rest I can live without. My issue is regular exercise. I always start out good but get bored with exercise pretty quickly -- although I do love walking outside. But for women our age, we may have to be a bit more patient to see the weight loss. My one piece of advice, stay off the scale! I was one of those people who weighed myself every day and I am telling you, you will make yourself nutZ! Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit. I actually have on a pair of shorts right now that I have not worn in years since I could not get them on so I will take that any day.

Boy oh boy, do I ever Amen this one.  I was doing fine until Friday morning when I got on the scale.  Why?  I don't know.  I was up 3/10 of a pound (oh the horror) and immediately went all non-compliant  . . . through today!!! That's 5 days of poor choices (not all were poor choices of course but I have made some doozies).  Do not get on the scale.  Ever.   I learned my lesson.  It made me absolutely raving.

It.Does.Not.Matter.What.I.Weigh

What matters is that I'm taking care of myself.  I'll lose or I won't lose.  I've been "dieting" for nearly 30 years now and in the last 10 have never lost the weight I need to. SO WHO CARES ANYMORE????  The number is just useless. 

Denise, thanks for your post.

So glad to have found this thread! I am 62, and I'm on day 13 of my first Whole30. I'm not experiencing any big health or energy changes so far, but on the other hand I've stopped eating between meals and my energy is pretty constant all day, which is a good start. I gave up eating sugar a couple of months ago, so I'm not having cravings any more - but as there's just the two of us in my house we've had a tendency to eat a lot of ready meals and junk food, so I'm finding all the time in the kitchen (and all the extra washing up - no one ever seems to mention that!) the biggest challenge. Very happy to be on the Whole30, though, and just starting to read The Perfect Health Diet to see if it would be a good way to go afterwards.

I didn't weigh myself before I started - couldn't face the scales! - but my clothes have been getting slowly but steadily looser since I stopped eating sugar, so hopefully that's continuing :)

Very happy to be on the Whole30, though, and just starting to read The Perfect Health Diet to see if it would be a good way to go afterwards.

Demob, you might be interested in Chris Kresser's book "Your Personal Paleo Code".  I found that to be hearteningly reasonable and encouraging.  And it doesn't get all caveman in our faces.

Demob, you might be interested in Chris Kresser's book "Your Personal Paleo Code".  I found that to be hearteningly reasonable and encouraging.  And it doesn't get all caveman in our faces.

Thanks! I have multiple food allergies, so this looks very useful. Downloading to my kindle now...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there. I'm on day 3 of my first Whole 30 and am using all the tools I can to be successful. I'm so happy I that I was shown this thread by one of the moderators.

I'm 61 and am in the process of getting a divorce from my husband of 18 years. I'm wanting to be happy, joyous and free and know that this way of eating will help. Sugar is my addiction, and I'm so sick from it!

I've never actually joined a forum like this so I'm looking forward to reading about you all!m

Good afternoon ladies,  I have been reading this thread and feel this is the perfect support group for me.  So here is a little about me.

I am 57, I was widowed at 50 and after spending years of yo yo ing to keep my weight in check when my husband of nearly 30 years died I decided being fat and old was okay.  Grieving is a tough process and I didn't need anything else like being on a diet to be miserable about.  Unfortunately being older and fat wasn't my best decision.  My energy level was low, my knee started hurting, uh oh  the start of arthritis!  In addition, my Dad suffered two strokes and my Mother was dealing with Alzheimer's. They were both moved from a home they shared for 55 years and now need full time assistance.  I can tell you seeing first hand in spite of all the planning and efforts to be self sufficient in their golden years being helpless and at the mercy of caregivers was a wake up call.  It was not longer a vanity issue. I needed to take care of my health so I didn't end up with T2D and deal with Alzheimer's while I still had a chance to change my ways.

I did a lot of research and learned eating Low carb with healthy fats and moderate protein was a way to get and stay healthy, and would also be a way to lose weight.  I started eating a ketogenic diet in Sept. of 2012 and spent the next six months totally keeping under 50 carb grams every day and staying in ketosis.  I initially lost about 30 pounds of the 120 I needed to lose but after about the first 3 months I stopped losing.  I kept going plugging along hoping my body would break the stall and all would be good but with no losses in over three months I got frustrated and demotivated.  I decided maybe I needed a carb reset to get things going again and well.... you know how that usually works out.  I love the term off roading so for the next 2 months I got so far off track I was lost in the woods and was feeling pretty lousy plus, I gained back about 10 of the 30 pounds I had lost.  I knew not losing was a problem but not feeling good was a bigger problem.  I tried to do the Low Carb High Fat approach several times over the next few weeks to get back on track but with no losses again I had lost confidence that it was really the right approach for me.

Enter whole30.  It made sense to me, I needed to stop obsessing about the scale, and just trust my body to heal with real foods.  So I am now on day 23 and have stuck to the rules, no weighing, no measuring, eating compliant foods.  I am back in control and feeling I have finally found a lifestyle that I can totally live with.  I am sure that at the end of the 30 days I will be able to focus on a paleo based plan.  I was already grain, sugar and alcohol free but I didn't think I could survive without eating the dairy as well.  This last 23 days I was shocked to learn I have not missed the dairy in the least.  I will eventually allow myself a little heavy cream and butter on occasion but I don't need tons of fat to keep from feeling like I am starving.  

I will report my results from my first whole 30 on the 2nd of November.  Thanks for reading my story,  I am so grateful to have a place I can come to for the support I need from time to time.  Eli

• 2 months later...

Hi ladies I am glad I have found this thread.I am so tired with the whole chest beating cave man thing even though I believe paleo is the best way of eating and suits me down to the ground.  There seems to be little acknowledgement  that women,  and especially older women have different requirements and get different results. I am never going to run a marathon or wear a bikini or have a flat stomach but I do want to be fit, strong and healthy for as long as possible into old age. Last year I followed the whole30 to a T but only lost about 1.5 kg though I felt really good.

I am starting a new whole30 January 1. Its been a year since I last did it and I've had some health issues since then.  I am 55 and peri-menopausal and have had to go on HRT because of debilitating hot flushes ( I'm talking 3 an hour!) and very heavy periods.  The good news is the hot flushes and periods have stopped but I have put on 5kg (about 12lbs) So I am taking this opportunity to reset my body and hope that some of the extra weight comes off. Its disappointing after being paleo for 3 years and finally getting my yoyo dieting under control that my weight has crept up like this. What else are we supposed to do?  Where is the research that is not tailored to 25 year old men? cross fit? aint gonna happen. Intermittent fasting? doesn't do anything for me. Don't count calories or carbs?  Well I kinda have to or i'll blow up like a balloon.  So tell me what's worked for you cos I really REALLY need to know.

Good Luck to every one starting the whole30 in the New Year. I'll be there!

You are welcome to join me on my journey... I started my second whole30 a few days ago with meadowlily, and we help each other fine tune this program for our specific body needs and problems. I like you lost very little weight, but my hot flashes are under control. About your heavy periods, has the doctor talked to you about hydrothermal endometrial ablation? I suffered for years and no obgyn ever mentioned this procedure to me until I decided I was ready for a hysterectomy I was so fed up! It may take longer for special people like us to reset out bodies... That's why I did a long whole30 back in June. Also I noticed a big difference in my hot flashes as soon as I started to eat mostly organic meat, and avoiding anything with MSG post whole 30.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I just started yesterday. When I saw the thread for older women I didn't think that applied to me as I'm "only" 58!!!!  But I decided to take a peak - I love the forums and am finding out so much information about whole30 from them. I hope everyone is still here as I see the last post was several months ago. Thanks and remember, we really are only as old as we feel  :) !!! 

What a great thread! I'm 59 and on Day 2 of my first W30. Feeling good and excited about feeling better physically (I know my knees will benefit from the anti-inflammatory way of eating) and emotionally. I've always been 20-30 lb overweight, but over the past few years have inched my way up to being 50 lb from where I want to be. First and foremost, I want to feel better physically and fell better emotionally in my own skin. My husband and I are both "trying to lose weight", but oh so differently! As different as we are (and our approaches), I felt SO good Sunday night when he asked me what I'm going to be eating, saying he wanted to make sure he didn't do anything to sabotage me. Yea! He didn't even make any snide comments about my zoodles tonight; he asked what they were, but then didn't say anything snarky. Yea! Headaches off and on today, but, otherwise, feel good. I'm not expecting miracles.....but would LOVE them!!

Just me... I noticed a big change in terms if pain within 10 days of eating compliant food... It was very encouraging! Keep it up. Our bodies are a little slower at adjusting to this way of eating, and it took me way more than 30 days to feel the full benefits of this program.

Hello! I am 56 and on day 4 of my first Whole30. I work out pretty regularly. I have noticed that I can lose whatever gains I have made in strength or flexibility or even co-ordination rather quickly if I don't stick to my workout schedule. I am post menopause with no real issues, other than I now gain weight if I make unhealthy choices. One of those unhealthy choices is wine. It seemed like there was a reason for celebrating with a glass of wine or two?) around every corner this past holiday season! I know I am moving in the right direction however because that bloated feeling from the holiday over indulgence is gone! Which brings me face to face with tonight. I always have a glass of wine with my husband on Friday nights as a way to reconnect and talk after the work week, so I am going to have to work at making this a non-issue. But right now, it seems like a big hurdle. Wish me luck.

I seem to be older that most of you here, but this still looks like the right place for me. I'm 67 and on day 10 of my first Whole30 and so far all is good.

My story is that I decided to take back control of my health about 6 months ago after a discussion with my doctor when she wanted to give me more medications. I refused and started searching for another way. My thyroid had been removed  7 years ago due to suspected thyroid cancer, pathology could not confirm that after surgery but too late then of course. About 3 years ago I was put on more meds for cholesterol and other 'just in case' situations and I have just found that in addition to the thyroid meds these were increasing my risk f or diabetes. That is a great fear of mine. So excepting thyroxine, I quit all the medications including for pain which has been a very significant problem for 4 years, Not a happy doctor but I did not back down. I also quit sugar and wheat and changed my diet significantly and what a difference I noticed within a few days. Pain problems, tiredness and depression gone. I'm close to back to what I was pre thyroid. Down 13 kg at the start of Whole 30, pre diabetes under control as is cholesterol.

I lead a busy life, my adult son lives with me and has care of his 2 children every second week so when he's at work they are my responsibility, I volunteer at a local community service weekly, sew and quilt and keep a large garden with veges for the family most of the year round and recently cared for my brother in his final weeks. Now this is my time and the next month is all about me. I hope it works out that way. For me it's all about health.

Hello Norinew1, are you still on Whole30 or participating in the forum? I started here yesterday although I started eating from the plan in November. I cut sugar our from my diet completely in July and it has made a huge difference to me, so much so that I decided to take it further and try the Whole30 program as from 1st January.

I live in New Zealand, am 67 years old. I am on this program to improve my health and it really is working. I'm hoping to find common support from women who are over 60 too and would love to hear from anyone with thoughts and ideas. I've never participated in a forum of any kind before and am not sure how it goes but this will tell.

Archived