Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

Hello Ladies!  I am a 50 year old mom of 6, grandmom to 3.  Very active, ultramarathons, ironman, etc until 2 years ago when I hit a hard stop on my cycles.  I entered menopause without warning at 48.  I have been eating a dairy free, gluten free, alcohol free way for about 4 years.  I am on my 5th day of Whole 30.  I have contained most all of my instant menopause symptoms, except for 2.  Night sweats, which seems to be creeping into day time as well, and libido.  I was on natural hormones and even testosterone for about 18 months which helped a little, but not with libido.  

Any one have any ideas on how to squelch the night sweats and embrace the libido?  

Thanks all!

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ftroopmom,

Don't know what to tell you about the night sweats. I don't know if this will work for hormones but my depression caused a lack of libido. I found that touching and being touch would help to restore it.

Hello Ladies!  I am a 50 year old mom of 6, grandmom to 3.  Very active, ultramarathons, ironman, etc until 2 years ago when I hit a hard stop on my cycles.  I entered menopause without warning at 48.  I have been eating a dairy free, gluten free, alcohol free way for about 4 years.  I am on my 5th day of Whole 30.  I have contained most all of my instant menopause symptoms, except for 2.  Night sweats, which seems to be creeping into day time as well, and libido.  I was on natural hormones and even testosterone for about 18 months which helped a little, but not with libido.  

Any one have any ideas on how to squelch the night sweats and embrace the libido?  

Thanks all!

I'm at a similar place to you! I am 47 years old and entered menopause about a year ago. I have been quite active throughout my life, but not to the extent that you are. I've done my own workouts at home, but I haven't been involved in marathons or any organized sporting contests. About 2 years ago I noticed my weight getting way out of control so I joined a wellness center that offers a nice variety of exercise classes: boot camp, trx, spin, yoga. I take several classes a week and I noticed a difference in my body for the first couple of months. After that I seemed to plateau, then about a year ago I started expanding even more! About 6 months ago I decided something had to change! So I started preparing for my first Whole 30, which I did in January...now I'm on round 2 and feel better than ever!

I don't know what to say about the night sweats as I've just been a continual hot flash! I noticed when I completed the first round, when I was at about the 3 week mark the hot flashes just stopped...Amen! I still got warm at night though and even in the middle of a Wisconsin winter I would sleep with just a sheet. About 2 weeks before starting Round 2 the hot flashes started again so I'm curious to see if they taper off...I sure hope so!

I don't know what to say about the libido...but hopefully your night sweats will let up after another week or 2. Hang in there because it is soooo worth it!

Hi all.  I'm a new member here and just started my second Whole30 a week ago.  I did the first one January 2015 and wow it helped me so much but such is my nature I reverted back to my old bad habits.  Oh well the past is in the past.

I'm 56 years old and also have quite a lot of weight to lose.  I also have aches and pains but overall don't feel too bad.  My energy has been sorely lacking but notice the difference quickly when I take better care of myself.   I've just been on Whole30 for a week now and can tell the difference in energy level, and can tell I've lost belly fat already.

I'm very excited to be on Whole30 again and am glad I joined this community.  I really do think it will help me be more accountable and keep Whole30 in my thoughts.  Looking forward to sharing with you all.

I completed a whole 30 last week and have been introducing a few things back into diet.  Wine was by far what I thought I would miss the most but it turns out not so much and when I have had it this week not the best response.  I am planning on doing another whole 30 very soon as I felt so great doing it.  Haven't gotten on the scale but I know I lost weight.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!  I'm 54 and brand spanking new to Whole30.  I've ordered the books and looking forward to reading them. Will start on Monday, June 13, 2016.

I've been following Low Carb High Fat (Atkins) for about 4 years and have maintained a 28 pound loss all the while going through an easy menopause... no hot flashes etc., probably because of the way I've been eating... (no sugar or grains, etc...)

But I've been stuck on a plateau for about 2 years still needing to lose 35+ pounds.

Joining the Whole 30 for community support.  To get and give help.

Older women rock!

- Cheryl

I have made it to day 30!  The night sweats are MUCH better and I am feeling more "interested" in the libido department.  We have a "date" planned to see about nurturing the relationship a bit more.

I feel good.  Not sure about tiger blood good, but definitely better than I have felt in 2 years.  I know we are supposed to start re-introducing things, but really, why?  

Sugar is my demon.  Potato chips are a close second.  I have thought about re-introducing oats, but if I don't need them, then why would I?  If I continue on the Whole 30, is it ok to take weight and measurements on day 31?

Greetings everybody,

I just joined the forum today -- starting W30 officially on Monday, with tomorrow as prep-day. I introduced myself over here: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/37107-new-herestarting-june-13th/?p=397182

I'm having loads of joint pain and tendonitis, which I hope will be much improved. I'll be 61 in a couple of weeks, and could use some improvement in the libido area as well. Pretty much non-existent lately. 

I see several women talked about empty-nesting early in this thread. My sons have been out for a few years now. I was one of those who looked SO forward to a quieter life -- and was gob-smacked by how lost I felt when they actually left. I had no idea who I was or what I liked or why I was even still living. Out of that emptiness began a journey of re-discovery which has led me down some incredible paths.

Now I need to stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible to keep up with all my curiosity and passions!

Empty nesters -- get thee up and go find thy authentic self!!!! Life ain't over yet.

Getting back into the game after a somewhat self-indulgent vacation where I had to stop "tracking" my food and drink because it was inconvenient and frustrating and overwhelming.

I've done a whole30 in the past with lots of subsequent attempts that mostly failed but after watching other tourists in the Grand Canyon I don't want to be the one they have to help on and off the bus or the train. I don't want to be the person who is hobbling because of the damage I've done to my body. I don't think old age needs a helping hand. Things start to deteriorate and I am not going to speed the process up!

Fortunately, I got my husband to encourage me to do this without knowing he was. We were discussing my reaction to the foods during our trip and he said "you really need to avoid dairy for a while." I said " but what about pizza?" (Knowing it was an issue for him last time around). He said we'll avoid it for a while.

Sorry...I hit post too soon. Anyway since I got him to say that we would avoid pizza for a while, I immediately jumped on it and said "and I'll go ahead and avoid grains, alcohol, and legumes too. (I knew sugar was in my own list but I didn't want to push the agenda)

So I'm back and resetting my brain.

Hi! I just finished my Whole30 and am in the midst of reintroductions. I tried legumes first with no issues. Yesterday I tried dairy. I had a plain, whole-milk yogurt, and my head felt congested for a couple of hours. I've never had (or noticed) an issue with dairy before. It is spring, and the pollen is bad here, so maybe. . . I had a small dessert (GF apple crisp with a small scoop of ice cream) and I felt so awful afterwards! I could feel the sugar rush and then the crash. I can't believe until a month ago I was doing that to myself every day! Now that I'm paying attention to how my food makes me feel, I will be much more careful. I feel fine today, so I'm glad there were no lingering effects. I plan to introduce grains this week. I miss oatmeal, although I know it won't fill me up like eggs do. It is so valuable to reintroduce food groups one at a time. Then I will know whether something is worth it or not.

My primary goals in doing W30 were increased energy and weight loss. My energy is amazing--I am so happy about the difference. I lost 7 lbs in the 30 days. I really want to go down a size. I don't care about the number on the scale as much as the number on my clothes' tags. :)

Hi! I just finished my Whole30 and am in the midst of reintroductions. I tried legumes first with no issues. Yesterday I tried dairy. I had a plain, whole-milk yogurt, and my head felt congested for a couple of hours. I've never had (or noticed) an issue with dairy before. It is spring, and the pollen is bad here, so maybe. . . I had a small dessert (GF apple crisp with a small scoop of ice cream) and I felt so awful afterwards! I could feel the sugar rush and then the crash. I can't believe until a month ago I was doing that to myself every day! Now that I'm paying attention to how my food makes me feel, I will be much more careful. I feel fine today, so I'm glad there were no lingering effects. I plan to introduce grains this week. I miss oatmeal, although I know it won't fill me up like eggs do. It is so valuable to reintroduce food groups one at a time. Then I will know whether something is worth it or not.

My primary goals in doing W30 were increased energy and weight loss. My energy is amazing--I am so happy about the difference. I lost 7 lbs in the 30 days. I really want to go down a size. I don't care about the number on the scale as much as the number on my clothes' tags. :)

I kept on tightening my belt, until my daughter said I ought to try her pants on... I never thought I would be able to wear any of her clothes, but tried anyways... I had the surprise of my life... Went from a size 22 to wear a skinny jean size 12!...

Give yourself more time. If you continue the course, you will be happy about what the tags say, you will see!

I am on day 6 post Whole 30.  I haven't venture off of the Whole 30 plan, except for two items.  One, I had to add in an electrolyte drink because I run long and it is hot and humid in Houston.  I ran Sunday without it and developed heat exhaustion.  That evening I had several trips to the bathroom.  I mentioned this to my husband that I supposed the electrolyte drink was the cause.  He then admitted that he used vegetable oil when cooking our stir fry, "by accident".  So, back on the Whole 30 for a few days to straighten myself out and try it again.  I plan to try the electrolyte drink again tomorrow.  I do NOT plan to reintroduce the vegetable oil.  It is in the trash.  

I also bought myself a "treat".  The Boulder Canyon Potato Chips.  I am pleased that there are no "off Whole 30" ingredients.  Only potatoes, coconut oil, and sea salt.  I feel like this is a splurge because potato chips are not allowed on the whole 30 plan.

I am feeling like I want to stay with the Whole 30 plan most of the time, but I also want to enjoy and ice cream now and then.  So, I think this weekend, I may try a small bit and see how I feel.  

Results from the Whole 30...I was not intending to lose weight, only decrease my bloating and swelling.

I have lost 7.5 lbs, lots of inches on different areas of my body, most notably, my belly.  I was at 39" and now I am measuring at 33".  I am 5'6 and was 138.5 pounds, now 131.0.

I feel wonderful.  I feel like myself in most every way.  And I have discovered my relationship with food, what I use it for, and how that directly impacts my emotional, physical, and spiritual life.  

I am now looking forward to finding Freedom in Food that Melissa is talking about.  Another step in the journey.  

Hi, I am 52, but very far from an empty nester. But I will definitely be able to relate to you ladies in the physical Challenges as I "mature". Raising 13 children and being pregnant 14 times (1 adoption, two pregnancy loses) and the typical American diet, plus taxing my body with diets, has me dealing with arthritis, adrenal fatigue, depression, chronic stress.

I am on day 11 of my first (of many) Whole 30. I have been mostly sugar, grain and gluten free since February. I am not eating nightshades now as they are very likely a problem too. Three years ago I lost 50 pounds using Trim Healthy Mama, and kept all but 10 pounds off. I lost 16 pounds since February. I have about another 40 pounds to lose now.

I currently have nine children living at home, 21 down to four, and two of my younger girls has special needs, including one who has had a stroke and can not walk, is on a feeding tube and requires oxygen at night. Just last week my chiropractor said that in order to heal my back I have to get serious about avoiding doing anything that stresses the affected joints except during controlled stretches and exercises, or I would be facing surgery (I have begun to have nerve pain from pinched nerve now, man that hard to live with!). Thankfully taking precautions and being careful in these past two weeks has greatly reduced my pain, and I am giving Whole 30 a large part of that credit!

I am looking forward to interacting with you, my fellow young at heart, not willing to be old yet, learned ladies.

Loved your post.  I'm 59 very healthy except for some autoimmune issues and arthritis.  I would love to journey with you ladies.  

I'm on day 9 of my first Whole 30.  So far loving it.  I practiced for several weeks before launching so the shock to my system not too bad.  I psyched to be feeling better.  I know everyone says don't worry about loosing weight but with my bad joints weight loss is important to me.  5 pounds in a month would be AWESOME SAUCE.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm happy to see that this thread is still going! I am 55 and trying a Whole 30 for the first time. I have gained 20 lbs over the last 4 years...10 of those in the last year. So I am starting to panic. I'm hoping to lose weight on this plan. I've done Atkins and another De-tox type diet. I know that limiting sugar and heavier carbs help me to lose weight and reduces aches. I like the idea of finding out what exactly the culprit is so I don't have to eliminate EVERYTHING forever. Right now the only thing that I really want is my wine at night. However, I am waking up a lot easier in the morning, so....dang! <_<

I'm on day 14 and I don't think I've lost weight at all. Maybe a couple of pounds. Discouraging! Any tips on losing weight?

Stick with the eating plan! The weight will come off, but there are lots of adjustments going on, so be patient. I'm in the same boat, dealing with gradual weight gain and wanting it gone yesterday. When you think about it, 10 lbs in a year is less than 1 lb per month. I keep telling myself that if I lose it at the same rate I gained it, at least it's going in the right direction. The "stay off the scale" rule is a smart one. I've heard a few people say that they feel like their weight loss happened at the end of the 30 days. Slow and steady--probably not what you want to hear, but true! :)

Restarting tomorrow. I officially started July 1 but made some compromises at social occasions this last week. I need to have a game plan for parties, etc. It is summer and we are always busy and it is not realistic for me to plan on eating at home for 30 days. That's just not realistic. I have been feeling great after being tired the first couple of days. Clearly some foods were not agreeing with me which I will figure out after the 30 days. Not eating sugar has really kept the alcohol cravings at a minimum! I'm glad there is a group for ladies our age :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just started Whole30 today -began at lunch time. I read about the program online and ordered the books.  I was looking for a program that could help me get off artificial sweeteners / get rid of my sweets cravings.  I had been eating a lot of dairy but had felt like it didn't necessarily agree with me so I thought that was a good part of the Whole30 program.  I feel ok.  I was a little afraid about getting through the day today but I made it.  I am 50 years old.  I also am hoping the diet might help my osteoarthritis in my hands and feet.  I work out most mornings with weights and cardio.  I have good energy first thing in the morning but get tired as the day goes on and feel like I could use a nap when I'm at work.    I plan to go to the store tomorrow to shop so I have more meal choices.  I don't really like to cook -just the time and cleanup -so I'm hoping to make things with a crock pot that I can portion out and freeze for the week.  I am hopeful that I will get through the week -I'm thinking preparation is key.  I will say a prayer and keep checking out the forum for encouragement.  I'm also glad to have a group around my age to dialogue with. :D

Janie,

I don't do complicated. No sauces or 15 ingredient things. Plain meats, chicken or fish. Plain veggies with a fat. Spices are gee, this smells good. I tend to just mix and match... protein, veggie, fat.

On hand, I have chicken, ground beef, beef cubes, sweet potatoes, salad greens. frozen veggies. I top that off with various fats. That makes compliant meals.

Lydia Jo

Archived