Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

Thanks, Lydia.  I went to the store and bought the staple items for when I have more time to do recipes but for now I am sticking with the simple non-complicated meals too.  I put a bunch of vegetables and some chicken breast and broth in a slow cooker and had that for a few meals.  I've also been eating salmon -love it just plain.  I am doing good so far.  Today was better than yesterday -yesterday I felt like I had sugar cravings more.  But it could be that today I was at work and very busy so I didn't have time to think about food! Thanks again for your reply! I can't wait to get the books in the mail.  :D

Have a great day! Janine

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just turned 56 and I am on Day 3 Today was hard, as I really miss my Soy Lattes and I am trying to go thru menopause naturally and I can't tell you how bad I want to grab a popsicle, from the freezer, when I am having a Hot flash :-(

I have a lot of food sensitivity, so I know this is what I need to do, but no support as family just tells me I am crazy for going on this.

10 hours ago, azhikinggal said:

I just turned 56 and I am on Day 3 Today was hard, as I really miss my Soy Lattes and I am trying to go thru menopause naturally and I can't tell you how bad I want to grab a popsicle, from the freezer, when I am having a Hot flash :-(

I have a lot of food sensitivity, so I know this is what I need to do, but no support as family just tells me I am crazy for going on this.

Soy is actually known to upset hormonal imbalance because although the isoflavones are eostrogen mimickers they also block the natural production of eostrogen, and in turn effect the thyroid hormone.

You want to ensure you're getting plenty of omega 3 (oily fish), vitamin d & calcium, and include foods such as garlic, mung bean sprouts, sunflower/sesame seeds, chestnuts, dried apricots/prunes, fennel & yam - all of which are high in isoflavones that won't effect the production of eostrogen & in turn the thyroid.

For a lazy throid - which is common in pre/post/menopausal women - eat foods high in iodine, zinc & selenium - add seaweed to soups/broths/stews, throw cranberries on a salad, add cod & haddock to your food rotation, eat mushrooms, pumpkin, beef & lamb, eat tuna with some brazil nuts (the high selenium content in the nuts counter balances the mercury in the tuna).

Basically eat a wide variety of nutrient dense foods, avoid anything highly processed (hello soy!) and you should do fine getting through it all naturally.

On 25 Aug 2016 at 5:15 AM, azhikinggal said:

Have you tried applying  ice cubes behind both of your ears? It will cool you off instantly...

Hi!  I'm on day 24 of my first Whole30.  I'm 50 years old.  I have rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and severe stomach pains and swelling due to years of taking NSAIDs.  I started the program because I'm tired of turning to medicine and tests to control my symptoms.  I need to lose 75 lbs but that's secondary to feeling better.  As of today, I'm sleeping better which has been an unexpected bonus.  :)  My stomach pains are minimal and so far the "fibro fog" is gone.  I have more energy so I'm moving more.  I'm going to extend this to at least a Whole60 because I'm still experiencing joint and muscle pain.  I know it will take time before I start to see results in that department.  I'm really looking forward to sharing this journey with y'all.

4 hours ago, LauraLee said:

Hi!  I'm on day 24 of my first Whole30.  I'm 50 years old.  I have rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and severe stomach pains and swelling due to years of taking NSAIDs.  I started the program because I'm tired of turning to medicine and tests to control my symptoms.  I need to lose 75 lbs but that's secondary to feeling better.  As of today, I'm sleeping better which has been an unexpected bonus.  :)  My stomach pains are minimal and so far the "fibro fog" is gone.  I have more energy so I'm moving more.  I'm going to extend this to at least a Whole60 because I'm still experiencing joint and muscle pain.  I know it will take time before I start to see results in that department.  I'm really looking forward to sharing this journey with y'all.

It helped me to remind myself that I did not get to where I was in just 30, 60 or 90 days. I am not advocating doing whole30 a year long, but I kept on telling myself that the pain was gone for a reason, and I no longer needed any pain medication or cortisone shots, so I would have to find myself a long term maintenance plan that would work for me. I started this journey over three years ago, and I am still pain free, and I shed lots and lots of weight in the three years. I felt so much better after my first whole30 that I knew that was enough of a motivation to stick with my maintenance plan.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that, for at least some of us "over 50" gals, 30 days is not quite enough.

I did a Whole 90 after my hysterectomy last winter and I am certain it was helpful for keeping the hot flashes and general tiredness under control.   And I really did recover quickly and well.

So I'm in for another long one now!

Hi, all,

I'm happy to have found this thread. My body has been around the sun 70 times. This is my first Whole30 and I'm on Day 25. I'm sleeping way better and have good energy. My arthritis (osteo) is a bit better but a finger joint or 2 is still swollen. I've dropped the nightshade family about 1 week ago and am wondering how long it will take to be pain free - if ever? 

Although I've dropped the wine at night and the dark chocolate I haven't seen much change in my weight/measurements (judging by how clothes are fitting). I guess I'm wondering if a Whole30 is enough or do I need longer? Or just another Whole30 a bit later?  I do understand that weight loss is not the focus and I'm really trying to love my body for being healthy. But the weight thing is a tough one for me. My wish would be to lose 7-8 pounds which would put my 5'4" body at 148.

Thanks for listening, and any input you may have.

T:)

• 4 weeks later...

Spicy crones! I love it.

I'm 61and on Day 8. So far, it's been pretty easy. I've realized that I never need to eat sugar again. I really haven't been doing this long enough to figure out what my biggest challenge is going to be.

I am going gray, almost all the way there. I inherited my mother's beautiful silver hair--thanks mom!

Hi All! 

Today is Day 1. I'm 64 ,  pre- diabetic, stressed to the max with family and work issues and 15 pounds overweight. 

Having said that in here to inspire you all. 4 years ago I did 3 Whole 30's including the last one which was 100 days!!! ( no wine my biggest challenge!). 

I never felt better. All  My numbers were great. I slept the best I ever had. My energy levels magnificent. All this in the face of my husband being ill and eventually dying. 

Over the past 3 years I have been mostly Paleo and/ or low carb (include dairy). I started a job that requires a lot of travel and that has been a challenge  and I have been "medicating" stress with alcohol -- not abusing it but still not good  

It's time for a new Whole 30. I need the discipline and I need you! 

Last time we had a wonderful group. And they really got me through. 

I hope I can be helpful to you. 

I just finished my my first Whole 30. Lost 3 inches of belly fat but 0 lbs (?). I am continuing  as my husband is now doing it. My question is on reintro of some things. I have figured out from reading all these posts that it was the dried fruit, nuts, and larabars and the snacking that kept me from losing the last 10-15 pounds that has caused me so much stress. I am 55 and have MS (left side weakness and footdrop). I would like to reintro peas and lima beans.  I exercise 4 times a week.  I am 5'3 and weigh 145. What else should I be doing to lose 10-15 pounds.

1 hour ago, shelley417 said:

I am not a nutritionist but if losing weight is one of your goals I would limit fruit and not add back beans. I would add back whole fat dairy first. Did you add back dairy? 

I just finished my my first Whole 30. Lost 3 inches of belly fat but 0 lbs (?). I am continuing  as my husband is now doing it. My question is on reintro of some things. I have figured out from reading all these posts that it was the dried fruit, nuts, and larabars and the snacking that kept me from losing the last 10-15 pounds that has caused me so much stress. I am 55 and have MS (left side weakness and footdrop). If I reintro peas and some forms of dairy ,lima beans while staying W30 by OK?

1 hour ago, shelley417 said:

I am not a nutritionist but if losing weight is one of your goals I would limit fruit and not add back beans. I would add back whole fat dairy first. Did you add back dairy? 

So far, I have not added anything back. (Day 32). My 55 year old taste buds do not like a lot of veggies and I thought something green would be the best reintro. I am cutting out most fruit since I feel bloated all the time. Thanks for your reply.

19 hours ago, Mygirlmae said:

I would like to reintro peas and lima beans

The phytic acid in legumes can prevent the body from absorbing valuable nutrients, and actually there's nothing in legumes nutritionally that you can't get from vegetables. I'd start with dairy, breaking it down into sub groups (cheese, yoghurt etc) and see how you go from there...

On 10/28/2016 at 5:43 AM, snowflower said:

Does 45 count as an "older woman"? 

Reading through this thread, I feel I have more in common with many of you than I do in other threads.

@Snowflower, unfortunately, at 45 years of age you will have to pay monthly dues to be counted among the older women.   :D

Hi everyone!  I'm 60 so I qualify to be in this forum.  :O) My age doesn't bother me at all.  I tend to not believe how old I am.  :wacko:

I'm just about at the 3 week mark of W30.  I love this plan and I have no intention of going rogue.  I feel better, I have more energy then before and I really enjoy eating healthy.  I never really ate healthy before.  I plan on eating this way for a long time coming.

But right now I am sick and tired of cooking.  And I'm sick and tired of vegetables, potatoes, and meat.  I try to stay away from fruit due to @ladyshanny's (I think it was her) suggestion.   I know if I wasn't in this mood I could find something to make but, I'm just tired and I have back pain issues.

I need some support and encouragement but mostly I could use some ideas.   

Help?!?!?

• Moderators

@sfzak

As per forum rules, please do not cross post the same thread over multiple forums.

Check out www.meljoulwan.com and see if you can't find something there that tickles your fancy... most of her recipes are Whole30 compliant, just make sure that you are aware of the rules so that if you stumble on one that isnt, you skip over it.

This is generally the time that people get sick of cooking and eating like this according to the timeline... stick it out, try a new recipe, new spice or new technique to get your inspiration back.

Hi.  This is my first post.  I am 63 and am on day 24.  I have more energy and feel pretty good.  I am worried about Thanksgiving coming up, as I will be on the last phase.  I am having it at my house, so I need to fix all those recipes everyone loves.  I will try to make them as Whole 30 as possible, but I need to please the masses. I will try not to indulge in the desserts, but it could be difficult.  I do enjoy cooking so I haven't had many issues about variety.  I am a little sick of eggs, but other than that I am doing fine. I have plenty of energy to work out and do yoga, and feel I have lost a little weight.  I would like to have some wine with dinner that night, so that may be my splurge.

Good to find you ladies! Ive clocked up over half a century, much of which has included dissatisfaction with body weight and shape. And diets. So many diets. And beating myself up. Sad thing is - when I see old photos I was lovely! Impressed reading your stories and Whole 60/90/365 plans. On day 14 now but counting the days till I can have a large latte again - which I guess isn't the point but is honest! I'm doing this as I've started waking with significant joint stiffness and just been diagnosed with underactive thyroid. 

Any tips on good foods to help the thyroid along? I know it's a complicated issue of insulin/cortisol etc and I'm wondering now, having read all your stuff, if 30 days will be enough. Planned this so can just about finish reintro by christmas as I think that would just be too tough. Any tips bring em on! 

• 3 weeks later...

I am SO happy to find this thread.....wow.  I am 55 and on day 2  of whole30.  I have been eating fairly clean for a while, but have been eating dairy and honey and some grains...and a glass of wine once or twice a week. So this feels doable and I will be curious to see how I feel with no dairy, sweetener or any kind or alcohol.  I also have been doing cross fit for about 2 years, which is another reason I am so glad to find this.....cross fit is wonderful, but there is not much info specifically for post menopausal women....mostly geared to younger people.  Thus, it feels good to have a group of peers, older women who want to he healthy and yes, there is the edge of also needing to accept that my body will never be what it was when I was 20 or 30 or 40.....and still, I can focus on being as healthy as I can.  I think the hardest thing for me is watching my body just slowly fall to the earth.....I am not overweight particularly, but my belly and hips look different.....not fat really but different..... and everything is looser and well, there is nothing to be done but learn to let go and accept that part and focus on life.  There are enough truly difficult things happening in the world that I don't think my general aging, which makes me human, is a place to waste too much time.  Thanks for being here, look forward to staying in touch.

On 14/11/2016 at 0:58 PM, britgirl said:

Any tips on good foods to help the thyroid along? I know it's a complicated issue of insulin/cortisol etc and I'm wondering now, having read all your stuff, if 30 days will be enough. Planned this so can just about finish reintro by christmas as I think that would just be too tough. Any tips bring em on! 

For a lazy throid make sure you are eating foods high in iodine, zinc & selenium - add seaweed to soups/broths/stews, throw cranberries on a salad, add cod & haddock to your food rotation, eat mushrooms, pumpkin, beef & lamb, eat tuna with some brazil nuts (the high selenium content in the nuts counter balances the mercury in the tuna).

Basically eat a wide variety of nutrient dense foods, avoid anything highly processed (hello soy!).

Hope this helps :)

It is so encouraging to read all of your posts and hear how fantastic you feel! Good for you :) .

I'm not feeling so good right now - having been somewhat off the plan for 2 months - and am starting a WHOLE7 today. I am hoping to re-capture some of the magic that I felt when I did my WHOLE30. Your posts have given me some hope.

I will check in tomorrow and let you know how I am doing.

@britgirl  You will be amazed at how you seriously might not want to look at a latte when you are done :) . One tip I have is to sign up for the Daily emails that WHOLE30 provides. I'm not sure how that would work as you have already started. I found them really helpful when the going got tough. But I DID complete the 30 days and I believe you will, too!

Best to you all,

T:)

Archived