Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

Hi all!

Today Is day 7 for me and I have been feeling great! I made it through the weekend by keeping busy, with a side of naughty! It certainly worked for my husband! It is about the connection...

Jeanette 88. I will soon have my adult step- daughter moving back home for about 6 weeks...I hope to get her on board with Whole30.

Before I retired from full time work, I was a corporate Chef for over 25 years. I also have a large veggie garden and just enjoy cooking for others, sourcing great ingredients. During Whole30 I am dialing back my cooking for people and have been making homemade dog treats for my dogs and my friends dogs! Have a great week all, life is good!

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband and I enjoy a nightly adult beverage with our dinner - me usualy wine and he is whiskey or beer. Although he is not following whole30 he has agreed to forego alcohol with me. We still have dinner together and talk about our day - without the alcohol. It is helpful to me that he is supporting me and abstaining from alcohol also during this time.

Good luck. 

My garden is suffering in a hot and very dry summer this year, I'm watering twice daily but not sure it's helping enough. I think the heat is helping me in some ways to stick with the whole30 as its too hot to think about cooking so lots of easy garden salads and fresh picked vege.

Hello

I am half way through. My usual naps in the afternoon seem to be a thing of the past. I have cleaned out the garage, and yesterday I was outside doing some yard cleanup. Using this time to not only take a look at what foods might be a problem for me, but what clutter in the rest of my life needs to go too. I have too much "stuff" and it is time to spring clean my life!

On day 29!  A little disappointed in the lack of weight loss, but I don't think I'm finished tomorrow.  Here's what has happened:  Not hungry between meals, energy levels are consistent throughout the day, sleeping better, digestive problems diminished, no post nasal drip.  There are probably other things that have changed but I may not know what they are right now.  I'm thinking of taking a week  going back to Paleo and then start another whole 30.  There are things I did notice that I wll change for the next whole 30:  fewer nuts and fruits.  Other than that, I'm good!  Feeling good. I just may be one of those people who need a whole 45 or whole 60.  We'll see what happens next time.  I'm in this for the long haul!

Lesanya, I went on and on with whole30 until my digestive issues were gone! What type of digestive problems do you still experience? I had a very slow transit, and taking digestive enzymes as suggested by a moderator made a big difference. If you were to just extend the current whole30, you may get to the "reset" point much faster than reverting back to paleo for a whole week, and then back to whole30. Just a thought...

Hutlifr, 

I think you're right.  I'll probably keep going, since I've been thinking about this all day, and realized that's what probably needs to happen.  My issue is very slow transit as well.  I think I'll try the digestive enzymes.  What kind were suggested?

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20540-set-back-on-day-27-and-28-still-digestive-issues/

I had posted a query to which Tom answered with another link to an article. I bought one in France, that had more or less the same ingredients than the one recommended In That article.

I tried sauerkraut for a week, no results. After only three days of digestive enzymes, my digestion was on a normal track. I still take them now and then when eating stuff that slows me down, like cabbage, Brussels spouts, or things I know will clog me up :)

You came so far and are very wise to wanna address this issue right away. I feel like a totally new person since I took care of my digestive problems, and NEVER want to go back to how I felt every day. Dairy and gluten are poison for my digestive track, and while I can indulge once in a blue moon in a typical Swiss or French cheese dish, I prepare my body at least three days in advance for the "cheese feast" followed by one week of digestive enzymes, with lots of cooked veggies and no raw ones, in order for my transit not to suffer a setback.

Best of luck to you and your transit :)

• 3 weeks later...

Day 28 and I am nervous about the changes ahead!  I am also seeing how Valentines Day is impacting my mood.  Single mom with a 15 year old, 58 years old, and alone.  Makes me want to eat chocolate and cupcakes!  LOL  And I am in this for me, and for my health!  I have seen big changes in my energy, mood (mostly) and energy level.  I have MS, and am diabetic.  By Day 17 my doctor reduced one of my meds.  And my readings continue to level out lower!  Yay me!  If anyone has tips on getting through tomorrow, let me know.  I know the treats of Valentines Day have been great at dulling any pain in the past!  

• 3 weeks later...

On day 10 and this is the first time I've explored this forum.  Saw this older women group and thought I'd jump in here.  I'm 61 and my husband and I have 6 children 29 -16. 

The past year we've had lots of stress inducing issues with most of the major stress inducers - $, children, etc.etc.  The only thing we haven't had is a death or moved - thankfully!

Maybe 5 years ago I embarked on getting healthy with the help of a natural type doctor.  I lost lots of weight, brought down my blood pressure and brought up my iron.  All very beneficial.  He didn't prescribe a particular diet - just lots of whole foods, fruits, veggies, easy on the animal protien, etc.  I thought I'd never go back.  Plus I started exercising - which was a big change for me. It really became a part of my life.

But, alas, with the stress and just life in general.  I gained back about 15 pounds and feel blah and depressed most of the time.  And I've stopped exercising.

So, in wondering what to do (especially something that didn't cost much money and because this doctor has moved out of state), I ran across Whole30. Just my ticket because I knew I needed something to keep me accountable - some type of "authority" like the doctor had been for me.  I was amazed during that period that I could walk through the kitchen while one daughter was making cookies and think to myself, "nope, Dr. __ said I can't eat that - not even a bite - so..." and I would just walk by.  Before that I would argue with myself for a while - then tell myself 1 cookie and then 4 or 5 later...Now I can say, "nope, Whole30 says no."

In exploring Whole30 I read the article about being an abstainer or moderator.  I am an abstainer and that idea has been so helpful for me.

So here I am on day 10 and doing ok.  I don't have any real cravings.  A few days ago I was really bored with food in general.  I've already been super bored with cooking and do as little as possible.  I have 2 teen daughters who like to cook so that is good.  I did find a couple of new recipes which I am going to try this week.  That's might help.

Like so many others that I've read about, I'm anxious about how much weight I'll lose - of course hoping for a good 20lbs but realize that is highly unlikely.  So far I can't tell too much difference in how my clothes fit.  Which has been an ongoing depressing thing for me lately as I had been unable to wear many of my clothes.  Years ago it was so fun to get rid of so many of my clothes that were simply way too big.  Now I have so few clothes to wear and refuse to buy any bigger ones. Depressing.

And the other thing I'm really hoping to change is this all pervading blah/depressed feeling I have.  I really really don't want to do anything but curl up in bed with a good book.  And so I really am only doing what I absolutely have to do.  I've felt this way for a long time so am not expecting miracles, but do you think this fog/cloud will lift?

Sorry this is so long.  I'm happy to be here and look forward to reading more.

I am new to this thread, but posted on another 60+ forum in January and February. I am 62, and have been experiencing a slow decline in motivation and energy and weight gain.  The combination has been causing me to feel lousy about myself.  I completed the first Whole 30 on February 11.  The weight loss was not what I hoped and I still have bad excema on my hands.  I decided to consult with a natural medicine health care provider because I felt like I was trying to cure myself but needed a plan that was not focused on trying to do everything.  So, I am 5 days into a AIP diet which eliminates everything Whole 30 does plus eggs, nuts, seeds, and nightshades.  This I do for 30 days.  I do feel better and today the scale was down 4 pounds from 2 weeks ago.  Like so many of you, this is the year to get my health back by finding the causes and not just treating the symptoms.  If it takes a "Whole 365 +" then that is what I will do.  As I type this, I am trying to divert myself from thinking about desserts!  My plan for tomorrow is to buy some coconut milk and try to make some "desserts" from Kelly Bejelly's website...A girl worth saving.  She has excellent recipes.

I still have bad excema on my hands.  

As I type this, I am trying to divert myself from thinking about desserts!  My plan for tomorrow is to buy some coconut milk and try to make some "desserts" from Kelly Bejelly's website...A girl worth saving.  She has excellent recipes.

I have occasional flare-ups of excema, too. It happens when I've been doing a lot of cooking and washing my hands in hot, soapy water. Coconut oil helps a lot. I also use Aveeno lotion with the green label. Before I cleaned up my diet, I would break out on my back and legs.

Eliminating dessert is the only way to eliminate wanting dessert, in my opinion. 

It's hard for me, too. Changing how I think about food is one of the main points of the W30 exercise. I find that if my meal has a small element of sweetness in it, I don't think so much about having something sweet after the meal. Chocolate Chili, Cinnamon Beef Stew, roasted root vegetables, etc.

And the other thing I'm really hoping to change is this all pervading blah/depressed feeling I have.  I really really don't want to do anything but curl up in bed with a good book.  And so I really am only doing what I absolutely have to do.  I've felt this way for a long time so am not expecting miracles, but do you think this fog/cloud will lift?

Sorry this is so long.  I'm happy to be here and look forward to reading more.

I think you'll get to feeling perkier soon.  I surely do hope so for your sake!  

I'm 57.5 and I find that my body has changed significantly in shape so that even if I'm svelte (I'm not) things aren't exactly where they used to be.   Hope you get to feeling perky and energized again soon!  I am overdue for another Whole30 but my life took a turn for the stressed when 2015 rolled in.  I'm hoping April can be a reasonable time for me to recommit.

Hi all I am new this thread but I need your help in keeping me motivated. I am 53.5 and just finished my Whole60. I weighed myself today and I am actually 1/2 pound heavier than day one and have not gone down much at all in inches. I have not had even one slip (honestly). I have had some very positive changes despite no weight loss. I have better skin, brighter eyes, better sleep, and generally a better mood. honestly I have been very discouraged as I have read so much about the amazing weight losses many have had. I have about 20 pounds to loose. I have been trying to think about what might help with weight loss and think I need to exercise more (only exercising 1-2 times per week and have a sedentary job). Also I work many nights and eat later at night. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I a, loosing hope and want to try and stick it out. Thanks.

Hi all I am new this thread but I need your help in keeping me motivated. I am 53.5 and just finished my Whole60. I weighed myself today and I am actually 1/2 pound heavier than day one and have not gone down much at all in inches. I have not had even one slip (honestly). I have had some very positive changes despite no weight loss. I have better skin, brighter eyes, better sleep, and generally a better mood. honestly I have been very discouraged as I have read so much about the amazing weight losses many have had. I have about 20 pounds to loose. I have been trying to think about what might help with weight loss and think I need to exercise more (only exercising 1-2 times per week and have a sedentary job). Also I work many nights and eat later at night. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I a, loosing hope and want to try and stick it out. Thanks.

Res, sorry you haven't had a loss.  I lost very little myself but when I weighed myself at the end of 30 days it was after a sodium-filled-feast the day before.

I do think that a lot of folks come into Whole30 for the weight loss and that may be a disservice.  The fact that you feel better should be the emphasis.  Weight loss is a side effect.

Res, some people say that they naturally lose weight the longer they eat in a W30 style and don't stress about it.  Honestly, I'm a bit cynical about that. ;)  I think most people do have a natural weight that their bodies tend to stay...whether it's the classic ectomorph, mesomorph, or endomorph typing, a pre-determined genetic set point...something.  You see it in the thin person who struggles to gain weight, the heavy person who constantly struggles to lose it, the women who, in pregnancy, gain 70 lbs and 3 months later are back to a pre-pregnancy weight), or the women who gain 15 lbs during pregnancy and weigh more AFTER giving birth to a 9lb baby (me!), the guy who easily bulks up when lifting weights, vs the guy who can't gain mass no matter what, etc.  I do NOT think all the variations are due only to diet, as in, by eating W30, we'll all amazingly get to the body size and shape want.

I can share in your frustration. I'm 50, but could easily lose 40 lbs.  I'd be happy with 15-20, thrilled with 25.  But I know age is a hindrance, being female is a hindrance.  My plan with W30 is to gain all those things you mentioned...sleeping better, better mood, etc...and then, VERY slowly, try to lose some weight.  My idea is that, if I really am already happier/in a better mood with W30, then I don't feel so desperate to lose the weight.  I know I've tried to "force" weight loss for most of my life and I'm still overweight...so now, I'm going to see if I can be sneaky about it. ;)  Eat more protein, fat, and veggies and just give it time.

It sounds like you DID lose some inches (you said "down much at all" which implies some, right?) and those are always more important than the scale weight.  How would you feel if you lost that same amount of inches again...and again...and again?  You'd be smaller, right?  So maybe that's the way to go...focus on inches and other benefits and not the scale number.

cinagain - very well put.  I think probably most of the people who do Whole30 have in mind losing a lot of weight.  What you said is important to remember and to remember slow and steady is always best.  If you do lose weight that way it is usually going to stay off. 

Thanks to everyone for responding to my email.  I am trying to stay firm in my commitment to live a healthier lifestyle by following my Whole30 Program.  I definitely feel better in so many ways but alas the non weight loss is frustrating.  Although the inch loss was very small I will try to remember that if it happens month after month I will eventually get there but if not I will try to be more accepting of myself and where I am at.  Thanks for your support and words of encouragement.  

Thanks to everyone for responding to my email.  I am trying to stay firm in my commitment to live a healthier lifestyle by following my Whole30 Program.  I definitely feel better in so many ways but alas the non weight loss is frustrating.  Although the inch loss was very small I will try to remember that if it happens month after month I will eventually get there but if not I will try to be more accepting of myself and where I am at.  Thanks for your support and words of encouragement.  

It can really be frustrating to be doing all we can do for our health and still our bodies can't completely fix themselves. Argh! I so relate (my issue is blood pressure, which remains obnoxiously high despite my doing everything you're "supposed" to do naturally to lower it, so I'm on meds now, hmph). I think it's probably good for us to remind ourselves and each other that at the end of the day, our bodies will still be better on Whole30 than they would be without it. We gotta hang in there!

I am new to this thread, but posted on another 60+ forum in January and February. I am 62, and have been experiencing a slow decline in motivation and energy and weight gain.  The combination has been causing me to feel lousy about myself.  I completed the first Whole 30 on February 11.  The weight loss was not what I hoped and I still have bad excema on my hands.  I decided to consult with a natural medicine health care provider because I felt like I was trying to cure myself but needed a plan that was not focused on trying to do everything.  So, I am 5 days into a AIP diet which eliminates everything Whole 30 does plus eggs, nuts, seeds, and nightshades.  This I do for 30 days.  I do feel better and today the scale was down 4 pounds from 2 weeks ago.  Like so many of you, this is the year to get my health back by finding the causes and not just treating the symptoms.  If it takes a "Whole 365 +" then that is what I will do.  As I type this, I am trying to divert myself from thinking about desserts!  My plan for tomorrow is to buy some coconut milk and try to make some "desserts" from Kelly Bejelly's website...A girl worth saving.  She has excellent recipes.

I can totally relate.  I am on Day 11.  I plan to do the AIP once I finish Whole 30.  I have several autoimmune disorders.  My favorite vegetables are all nightshades, so not sure how I will cope.  I turned 60 in October and started experiencing extreme fatigue and joint pain.  Felt really old.  I know exercise would help with energy and depression, but I just can't get it up to do it.  Hoping the Whole 30 helps.  I think it is beginning to . . .

I will have houseguests over Easter (when my Whole 30 ends) and I thought I may try some 'forbidden' foods.  Now I'm not so sure that would make an easy transition once they leave and I start the AIP.

I saw a few people mention the "set point":  it's very real (according to the medical director of Northwestern Medical Center's Wellness Center - circa 2001!).  There is a 'set' weight that your body gravitates to, with little fluctuation.  The only way to change your set point is exercising and modifying your diet long enough to create a new 'set' point.  Who knows how long that takes! I know that if I do moderate, regular exercise (30 minutes a day - walking, body-weight strength training) and (what I thought was) healthy, I can stay at 170 lbs.  (High for a 5'6" 60 yo woman, but totally comfortable for me).  I can exercise more/harder to change my set point.  That being said, I weigh 30 lbs over my set point.  Knee injury and prednisone really pack on the pounds.  Hoping to recover now.

Archived