coconut water?

OrganicMom

Well, I guess I can understand using it for replacing electrolytes only and not overusing it.  I don't see it as "fruit juice"...  but of course I know it contains natural sugar and carbs and should be monitored...   my dh likes it.  I don't like it all by itself and only use the raw for the occasional addition to a green smoothie for the nutrients... and I do mean occasional. He would drink it daily if I let him...the raw is super expensive!  We just can't afford it so this gives me another reason to tell him to back off a bit.  But he does need those electrolytes as it sweats a ton when he works out...

For someone who doesn't like coconut, I was really surprised I liked this stuff. I use 4-6oz as an intra-workout supplement on heavy days (3-4 times/week).

There is a different philosophy from the standard marketing ploy of the colored water marketers regarding electrolytes (emphasis mine):

â€œWe replace what you sweat out.†That statement is missing the point. The body tries to maintain homeostasis so it sweats out what it has excess of and retains what it is deficient in. If you study a typical sweat profile, you will see large amounts of sodium and lesser amounts of magnesium and potassium. That is because the body is ridding itself of excess sodium and retaining the magnesium and potassium it is deficient in. If you just replace what the body is ridding itself of, you are misinterpreting that information."

source: http://whole9life.com/2013/03/whole30-approved-elete-electrolytes/

• 3 weeks later...

I've also been wondering about Coconut water... Spending lots of time in a Hot Yoga room warrants the need for some electrolyte replacement and that has typically been my go to.. I have Vita Coco is my fridge that says its Coconut Water and naturally sweetened with real fruit juice. Is this ok? Is there a brand recommended?

SoFlaYogi - 

Coconut water, even sweetened with fruit juice, should be fine if you are spending a significant amount of time doing hot yoga. For a class a day, water should be sufficient to rehydrate.

You may also want to look into a specifically formulated electrolyte replacement. Coconut water is higher in some minerals and lower in others, and isn't the most efficient blend for our bodies.

Here's the product we recommend:
http://new.eletewater.com/

• 4 months later...

I just bought some vita coco brand, and had about one drink from it. Then I rechecked the nutrition and realized it has 15g of sugar from there fruit puree. Does that little bit (maybe 2 oz) mean I have to start over? I'm only on day three or four.

Have a great day.

Patrick.

I just bought some vita coco brand, and had about one drink from it. Then I rechecked the nutrition and realized it has 15g of sugar from there fruit puree. Does that little bit (maybe 2 oz) mean I have to start over? I'm only on day three or four.

Have a great day.

Patrick.

Does it have sugar in the ingredients list?  If so, just stop drinking it and press on.

If not, it's ok on a Whole30, with the caveat from the Can I Have Guide: "Coconut water is essentially a “light†fruit juice. If you're involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don't let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.rgyy365A.dpuf

I have some coconut water that I got from a young thai coconut that I bought so that should be ok, right?  Now that we are in the coconut subject, would homemade coconut yogurt be ok?  I blend the coconut meat with a little bit of the coconut water from the coconut and add some probiotics.  Those are all the ingredients.  Thanks!

Does it have sugar in the ingredients list?  If so, just stop drinking it and press on.

If not, it's ok on a Whole30, with the caveat from the Can I Have Guide: "Coconut water is essentially a “light†fruit juice. If you're involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don't let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.rgyy365A.dpuf

Well, I figured that I'd reset anyhow. I wasn't as dedicated as I should have been for the first day or two. Plus I didn't have any veggies that appealed to me last night, so I grabbed a couple V-8's for work. This also gave me a chance to finish off the bacon and braunschweiger that I bought (which wasn't compliant after all). So, I'm starting over on Saturday, which works out better for me anyhow. I'll be on days for the next five or six days, and it will be easier to transition into this.

But, now that I know that I can have the coconut water, I won't sweat it. Although I don't necessarily recommend the "Peach/Mango" unless you really love that flavor. I may try the pineapple one or the other (can't remember which flavor it was).

Have a great day.:)

Patrick.

• 1 month later...

Ah, I'm glad I checked this. I just drank about 8 oz of coconut water after my jog. It's only the second time I've ever done it during my 30 days (I'm on day 11!), but I've been working out pretty hard for the last three days and felt really tired no matter how I tailored my meal to fit energy needs today because of it. I usually hate the taste of cw (which is why this is only my second time), but drinking it after my work out today felt like it was something I needed to re-energize despite the taste. I should probably look into vitamin supplements.

Also, I drink about three large bottles of water a day, so it's definitely not a substitute for me. :)

• 1 year later...

Have a great day.

Patrick.

Yeah, I thought coconut water was healthy but I just checked and wow, it's full of sugar. I had no idea.

Being in Asia Pacific we have loads of choices in pure coconut water and even between pure brands there is a lot of variation in the load of natural sugars.

Rather than drink any straight, I add a splash to water if I've been doing heavy workouts or if I'm recovering from being sick. I buy the small sizes, as the large ones are far too big to consume sensibly. If you do have leftovers though, freeze into icecubes.

• 2 years later...

I’m still extremely confused whether I can or not have a bottle of coconut water. It does have 12 grams of sugar and the ingredients read less than 1% fruit sugar. I’m on day six and don’t really want to jeopardize my progress so I just gave mine away and went back to plan water. This type of stuff is too frustrating. 

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Kristen S said:

I’m still extremely confused whether I can or not have a bottle of coconut water. It does have 12 grams of sugar and the ingredients read less than 1% fruit sugar. I’m on day six and don’t really want to jeopardize my progress so I just gave mine away and went back to plan water. This type of stuff is too frustrating. 

No, if there is any type of sugar listed in the ingredients, regardless of 'less than XX%' it's out.  If it just has coconut water as an ingredient then it's fine but again, as I'm sure has been discussed on this thread, it's basically light fruit juice and not a best choice for a main beverage.

Archived