Starting October 14th - anyone want to join me?

primalamy

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey! A quick check in from the top of a ridge while hunting. Eating is going well,really well....preparing lots of food before we left has made it really easy. Digestion is another story! Oh my, the stomach has NOT been happy the last several days. It feels upset a lot and it has been a challenge to put up with while hiking in the woods. I really hope the tummy issues regulate soon. I've done ok watching everyone eat the regular foods around me so that is a plus. Anyway...time to get off this ridge and back into the land of no service again.lol. No elk yet. Hope everyone is doing well.

K everyone, I cheated yesterday.  Actually clicked "had a bad day" on my whole30 newsletters so started over day 1 (really day 13 of second 30).  Let's see if I can re-start.

Today I actually decided I'd allow myself to add some sweetener and creamer to my coffee as my compromise, but the coffee was disgusting!  Not because of what I put in it, just because it was a bad batch of coffee.  I'll take it as a sign from the cosmos.

I'm going to cook my acorn squash recipe that worked so well for me last time.  Maybe my problem is just that I'm getting sick of the food that is in my house.  Cuz I can tell you, off-roading food wasn't any better than the delicious food we eat here!

I made a crustless quiche this morning with two of lasts night's burgers, crumbled and the leftover roasted cauliflower and broccoli and some tomatoes. It was delicious and meal template compliant all on its own as I used loads of oil roasting the veg last night. 

So I have had it for breakfast and lunch and plan on having the rest of it for supper with chopped avocado. 

I also tried coffee with coconut milk this morning and that is a big hit. I shall have to remember to carry some with me when I plan on visiting a coffee shop if I fancy a change from and Americano. 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1393960_10151976194231763_612598274_n.jpg

First off... How fun to log back in after ages and discover a little group who began on oct. 14th.  I launched a 2nd attempt to complete my first Whole30 with my mom on 10/14.  She's going strong--her day 12 today, my day 5.  Would have been my day 12 as well if I had not been in a strange position as a guest where I couldn't avoid banned foods last Sunday.  Don't need to elaborate, it is what it was and my team (my mom) and cheerleader (my husband) know all :)  

I re-read the revised Whole30 timeline on the Whole9 blog and really, really needed to be reminded that sometimes the crazy tiredness is due to my body remembering how to utilize fat energy instead of carb/sugar energy.  AND to keep my efforts going with recipes so to not become 'bored' with the same options.  Having my mom in another household has helped because we're sharing portions with each other to add to the weekly mix.  And in regards to:

I saw some ideas in ISWF for sweet potatoes in the soup! Has anyone tried that?

yes, yes.  I love sweet potatoes in soup or stew.  Typically you peel, dice them and saute them with the onion, oil/fat, celery, or whatever else in the first steps of a soup.  There's a recipe from Moosewood called 'gypsy soup' that has a nice blend of spices to go along with a sweet potato (or butternut squash if that's what you have.)  Easily modified to make whole30 compliant.

Sweet Potato Soup with Ginger & Lime is lovely. I used to make it about 20 years ago when I was vegetarian (it's in a veggie cookbook). May make it this weekend as I made a batch of veg stock yesterday 

Gently fry a finely chopped onion, garlic clove and 1½teaspoons of freshly grated ginger in olive or coconut oil until soft.

Add 1½lbs of peeled and chunked sweet potatoes and 2 pints of vegetable stock.

Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. 

Transfer to a blender or processor and add 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice and process until smooth. (I do this in the pan with a stick/immersion blender). 

Reheat, season with salt and pepper if needed and serve. 

Hi, everyone! I joined and started on Oct 14 but I haven't posted since then. I have discovered that I do waaaay better when I don't *talk about* what I'm doing...JUST DO IT! So, that is what I've been doing. I've read all the posts, though.  :)

Day 12 is almost done and I have had 100% compliant ingredients. No weigh-ins.

I have a question. Is there any brand of mayo that is W30 compliant? I have considered making a recipe, but I don't like the idea of eating raw egg. It apparently is ok, but I've never done it. I am allergic to all nuts, so I am trying to figure out a way to get more fat in my diet in a way that is compliant AND tasty.

This is my second W30 and I hope to continue it until at least Thanksgiving Day.

Thanks for your help.

Hi, everyone! I joined and started on Oct 14 but I haven't posted since then. I have discovered that I do waaaay better when I don't *talk about* what I'm doing...JUST DO IT! So, that is what I've been doing. I've read all the posts, though. :)

Day 12 is almost done and I have had 100% compliant ingredients. No weigh-ins.

I have a question. Is there any brand of mayo that is W30 compliant? I have considered making a recipe, but I don't like the idea of eating raw egg. It apparently is ok, but I've never done it. I am allergic to all nuts, so I am trying to figure out a way to get more fat in my diet in a way that is compliant AND tasty.

This is my second W30 and I hope to continue it until at least Thanksgiving Day.

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately there isn't a compliant store bought mayo - the likelihood of you getting sick from your raw egg is minute. (Have you ever eaten cake batter ?)

Mayo is a delicious way to add fat, it goes on practically everything :)

What other fats have you tried? I did a whole 60 with nut butter used only twice, and even that could have been substituted for something else!

I do better when I post.  However, I do best when people actually comment on my posts - such as - I posted that I fell off the wagon yesterday.  I was hoping for someone to chime in, just for a little accountability.  Oh, well.  In the end, I am only accountable to myself....

I do better when I post.  However, I do best when people actually comment on my posts - such as - I posted that I fell off the wagon yesterday.  I was hoping for someone to chime in, just for a little accountability.  Oh, well.  In the end, I am only accountable to myself....

Sorry I didn't respond.  I did read that you had tater tots.  I was stressing over green beans.  Which were wonderful.  What is your plan now?  Back on track tomorrow???  Sharyn tried some off plan milk.  She had pretty immediate feed back on that one.  Did you have any problems?

Sorry I didn't respond.  I did read that you had tater tots.  I was stressing over green beans.  Which were wonderful.  What is your plan now?  Back on track tomorrow???  Sharyn tried some off plan milk.  She had pretty immediate feed back on that one.  Did you have any problems?

What a funny world we are in.  Stressing over green beans.  I'm fixated on finding a fine mesh strainer so I can make stock.

Today was supposed to be a start-over but I took the kids to Costco and there were so many samples there and I caved.  Will start again tomorrow.  I did GREAT during the first 30 days.  Really having trouble getting back on the plan for my second whole30.  But that is always my problem, and why my weight goes up and down, up and up and up.  But I'm fitting into clothes I haven't fit into in eight years.  I've got one more box of too smalls, the clothes I wore as a giddy single girl before I got married.  I sure would love to fit back into those again, though I'm ten years older and really can't pull off the styles anymore.  Once I fit into them, I will go buy myself some new clothes for the 47 year-old me.

It's 9.30am in the UK and we are just heading out in our campervan to meet my sis-in-law and her partner and their almost 9 year old daughter at the beach. The walking along one of England's longest beaches will be fine. Lunch at the only bar-on-a-beach in the country may be a challenge. I'll do my best but this far in I am not stressing about a little 'reintroduction'!! 

Play nicely and I'll report back later x

Today was supposed to be a start-over but I took the kids to Costco and there were so many samples there and I caved.  Will start again tomorrow.  

I suggest rereading ISWF regarding their ideas about eating off plan food.  Don't wait until tomorrow to start again.  Start again right now!  You made a choice.  There is no "falling off the wagon" (or "falling into a box of donuts")......decide what particular off plan food you are going to eat, think about how it might make you feel physically and emotionally, decide if it's worth it (is it something really special?, something really delicious?), if it's worth it then eat it and then the rest of the day (or until you make that choice again) is on plan. 

I think the idea of "starting over tomorrow" is an guaranteed way to set yourself up to fail.

Tracy - I agree with snowflower - make the next thing you eat something compliant and go from there. It sounds as though you are on a slippery slope and we can't have that, You are my 9/9 buddy and I am not going to let you fall by the wayside!! 

Our trip to the beach was great - it was very windy and the sea was very rough. We have a massive storm forecast to hit the region in the next 24 hours I love rough seas. My husband, Rod, and our niece got very wet messing about in the shallows despite the cold wind. They had a great time while the three sensible adults walked a bit further up the beach on dryer sand. I was complimented on the weight I had lost and how healthy and happy I seemed to be. Tis true, I am lighter and leaner and I feel great *happy girl*

Then we all had lunch in the bar on the beach. I chose gammon, egg, peas with salad instead of fries. It was a massive gammon steak and was probably not compliant, neither were the peas. But I ate a good, fresh cooked meal, made a choice to eat salad instead of fries and drank a black coffee. No reactions so far so I call that a success :)

We also went to the village butcher and bought a lovely brisket joint and a piece of belly pork. I can see me having both my slow cookers working tomorrow. 

Tracy - I agree with snowflower - make the next thing you eat something compliant and go from there. It sounds as though you are on a slippery slope and we can't have that, You are my 9/9 buddy and I am not going to let you fall by the wayside!! 

Our trip to the beach was great - it was very windy and the sea was very rough. We have a massive storm forecast to hit the region in the next 24 hours I love rough seas. My husband, Rod, and our niece got very wet messing about in the shallows despite the cold wind. They had a great time while the three sensible adults walked a bit further up the beach on dryer sand. I was complimented on the weight I had lost and how healthy and happy I seemed to be. Tis true, I am lighter and leaner and I feel great *happy girl*

Then we all had lunch in the bar on the beach. I chose gammon, egg, peas with salad instead of fries. It was a massive gammon steak and was probably not compliant, neither were the peas. But I ate a good, fresh cooked meal, made a choice to eat salad instead of fries and drank a black coffee. No reactions so far so I call that a success :)

We also went to the village butcher and bought a lovely brisket joint and a piece of belly pork. I can see me having both my slow cookers working tomorrow. 

Sharyn,

Glad you had a good time on your outing.  Walking on the beach is a great thing.  Weather doesn't really matter when you are on the beach, does it?  I like cold wind, and beautiful sunshine at the beach.  Both have value to my heart.  Your choices for lunch sound like the best you could hope for. 

What a funny world we are in.  Stressing over green beans.  I'm fixated on finding a fine mesh strainer so I can make stock.

Today was supposed to be a start-over but I took the kids to Costco and there were so many samples there and I caved.  Will start again tomorrow.  I did GREAT during the first 30 days.  Really having trouble getting back on the plan for my second whole30.  But that is always my problem, and why my weight goes up and down, up and up and up.  But I'm fitting into clothes I haven't fit into in eight years.  I've got one more box of too smalls, the clothes I wore as a giddy single girl before I got married.  I sure would love to fit back into those again, though I'm ten years older and really can't pull off the styles anymore.  Once I fit into them, I will go buy myself some new clothes for the 47 year-old me.

I found my fine mesh strainer at a small restaurant and grocery supply store.  URM is the name here.  The other option is to put a layer of cheese cloth in a regular strainer or colander.  I always have food grade cheese cloth for making ghee. 

When I go off track on any eating plan I go all out for the day with intent to start again the next day,.  Then the next day starts and I am back on plan in the morning.  Somewhere in the middle of the day I eat something off track, and I go all out again.  And the story repeats itself day after day.  I agree with Sharyn, and sunflower.  Start again immediately.  Avoid the repeating cycle. 

My workout is done for the day.  Eating is on track.  I still have a huge pile of black walnut wood to load into the trailer.  Black Walnut is a very valuable, and heavy, wood to wood workers.  We have a whole tree worth here.  It wasn't handled correctly for furniture, so the value is mostly gone.  I met an 80 year old man through work that does wood carving.  He lives in a retirement facility, and there is a group of guys that work with wood.  Mike and I are going to load the wood up today and take it to them.  Strictly a donation so that these guys can have some fun.  I love knowing that they will get some enjoyment out of it.  And I will get another workout loading and unloading it.  It is in 6-8 foot lengths.  The base piece will have to be loaded with the big tractor, and then rolled out at the facility.  The rest we can load by hand.  It is another leftover day, as I have pork, chicken, and chocolate chili in the fridge.  Plus the rest of the green beans from last night.  Maybe some cauli rice to go with.  I could also steam some carrots and broccoli and add it to the beans as there is a lot of sauce left.  It was a little spicy so last night I served it over a bed of spaghetti squash.  Yummy

Planning a short run tomorrow with my nine year old grandson.  We might sign up for the local Jingle Bell 5k that is three weeks away.  I love their races.

I thought I'd be too busy to cook this weekend, but I woke up needing some good food. NOW!  I made hot curry cauliflower rice pilaf (with almonds, onions, garlic and raisins) for breakfast with 2 eggs.  Then I had the rest for lunch with some diced chicken.  I ate a whole head of cauliflower today!  Ooops, but just realized I forgot to have fat with lunch.  The chicken was cooked in ghee and the pilaf was cooked with coconut oil....hopefully that'll be enough to get me through till dinner.  

Haven't decided what's for dinner yet....I bought ingredients today to make meat muffins, czech meat balls, and scotch eggs.  Obviously I've got a craving for ground meat today.  ^_^

I devoted my morning to studying and my afternoon to cooking.  

I love food.  

I've got a Halloween Party tonight.....I'm sure there will be no good food there.  I'll eat before I go and take a tea with me to drink.

Unfortunately there isn't a compliant store bought mayo - the likelihood of you getting sick from your raw egg is minute. (Have you ever eaten cake batter ?)

Mayo is a delicious way to add fat, it goes on practically everything :)

What other fats have you tried? I did a whole 60 with nut butter used only twice, and even that could have been substituted for something else!

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have eaten cake batter but not for a long time. If I make the mayo, I'll let you know.  I use olive oil mostly and also coconut oil. I'm somewhat cautious of the coconut oil, though, since I'm allergic to all tree nuts. I use it sparingly and haven't had a reaction. I more than likely do not eat enough fat. I will work on that.

Also, even though my foods have been compliant, I haven't followed the meal plan as closely as I should. I plan to work on that as of tomorrow. 

I've finished 13 days and am quite confident that I will make it to 30.  :)

Also, even though my foods have been compliant, I haven't followed the meal plan as closely as I should. I plan to work on that as of tomorrow.

I'm in the same boat - I've been compliant, but the last few days have been hard with travel and getting back to a bare refrigerator, with not much time to cook. I haven't been very good with the meal plan - today I only had two full meals because of a busy schedule. Breakfast was late because I had to go to the store first, but I made a delicious kale, mushroon, and onion frittata. Of course, I was cooking for three, and it was a hit, so there weren't any leftovers. I was out and about all day, but when I got back I went straight to the kitchen and I've been there ever since. I made a big pot of veggie and meat chili, beef stock, and I also made the Well Fed homemade mayo for the first time. Oh my goodness, it is SO delicious. I will never buy mayo again. I also made the Well Fed green bean recipe last night - again, there are no leftovers because my boyfriend ate them all! I'm glad he's liking the food, but I'm getting a little territorial - if he keeps eating my leftovers I'm going to be cooking nonstop. Anyone else dealing with this? My grocery bill is already out of control this month!

I made this (without the honey in the dressing) last night and it was amazing. Probably could have done with some more veg to balance out the apples and some fat so next time will serve it with a large salad and mayo.

It's a fab fall recipe for you lovely Americans who seem to eat more according to the seasons than this particular Brit ;) I cook the same all year and just swap hot veg for salads as the temperature dictates!

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2013/09/cinnamon-pork-tenderloin-with-fresh-apple-salsa.html

I made this (without the honey in the dressing) last night and it was amazing. Probably could have done with some more veg to balance out the apples and some fat so next time will serve it with a large salad and mayo.

It's a fab fall recipe for you lovely Americans who seem to eat more according to the seasons than this particular Brit ;) I cook the same all year and just swap hot veg for salads as the temperature dictates!

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2013/09/cinnamon-pork-tenderloin-with-fresh-apple-salsa.html

I will be making this this week!  Thanks

Archived