Day 27 and feel fat and discouraged.....

Today is day 27 and to be honest, I have not been able to change my relationship with food and the obsessiveness with how my clothes feel, how I look in the mirror, how much I may have lost, how much I may have gained, how tight these pants feel this day, did the feel looser yesterday. I am a roller coaster of crazy emotions. I really want this to be my successful way of life. I really want to be that person that only eats when hungry, who doesn't think about the next meal, or worry that I may run out of the right food.

It has been 27 days without the scale which is a huge thing for me. But yet, I am still stressing over it, especially the closer I get to that day 30. I want this to be the last diet, or way of eating I choose. I love the concept and feel so clean eating this way. However, not to compare with the "A" diet, I have never had success with that even adhering to it to the letter. I am worried that this will have the same outcome.

I do believe the stress is triggering the habit of grabbing snacks between meals. Even if they are acceptable foods, the quantity is off I am sure.

I am planning on continuing to push through this feeling with hope there is sunshine on the other side. Is this normal, or should I have made peace with my self already? Should I have been able to correct the 40 some years of eating disorders in the past 27 days?

Feeling Conflicted....

It has been 27 days without the scale which is a huge thing for me.

That, my dear, IS progress. Sometimes we have to be patient and take things one step at a time. I am going through similar frustrations too. Maybe the simple act of removing the scale was meant to be your top goal for your first Whole30, then when you go on your next, you will be able to make even more progress with one of your other goals. It takes time to break old habits, especially those that originate in our minds and hearts-attitudes and feelings.

I understand because I've been there and in some ways I am still there. When I began Whole30, I literally said to myself, "After 25 years of poor health and obesity, this is your last chance."

The only advice I can give you is that overthinking the process is your enemy.

Take it for what it's worth: it's a way of eating that will lead to vibrant health, with weight loss as a probably side effect. Thinking beyond that is self-defeating.

Think about how long it took you to get here.

You are on the correct road now, and only into it 27 days.

27 days compared to 40 years isn't much.

On the flip side, you have managed to stay away from the scale for 27 days and eat clean. That's a big accomplishment!

Are you stressed because you feel like you are going to hop on the scale on day 31 and see you have either not lost weight or gained some? My suggestion would be to avoid the day 31 weigh in. I'm not saying don't step on the scale ever again but what I am suggesting is to wait until the right time. Wait until you feel a bit more in control and relaxed. No matter what the # on the scale is it will not solve the underlying problem and it may just add fuel to the fire. Focus on your relationship with food and your feelings about yourself, get those to a better place and then think about the scale. I know that breaking up with your scale is tough but some relationships just need to end. Give yourself some time to change and adapt to your new way of life, in the grand scheme of things 30 days is not that long. Maybe you should go for a whole 45, whole 60 or whole whatever # feels right before you start thinking about the scale. Relax, you have made it 27 days, that is huge. You are no doubt healthier than you were 27 days ago. Keep focusing on what you are doing right everyday and everyday will get better.

P.S. we all have those days when we feel bloated and discouraged. In order to keep myself real I refer to those days as "big fat chubby hog monster" days. It reminds me to relax and have a bit of fun in all that I do. Also, when I feel negative thoughts creeping in I remind myself "don't believe everything you think."

The only advice I can give you is that overthinking the process is your enemy.

Take it for what it's worth: it's a way of eating that will lead to vibrant health, with weight loss as a probably side effect. Thinking beyond that is self-defeating.

Well-said. Don't stress yourself out because that only adds fuel to the fire. The sum of a lot of little good choices are the key to progress/results.

You absolutely should not expect that you can reverse 40 years in 30 days! The Whole30 is the first step. M&D have always said that your journey may take longer than 30 days. It may take 45 days, or 60, or however many.

You are doing a great job with your Whole30 and it is great that you've recognized and identified the stress and anxiety. You just need to work through it and come out the other side (I know, way easier said than done, huh?)

I'd encourage you to extend your W30 until you start to feel the anxiety subside. Food shouldn't control you! Neither should your scale! I posted a bunch of pics of my friend Tamara that should be enlightening for you. Let me try to dig them up

I really agree with Juju. You might consider just flat out getting rid of your scale.

Also, stress effects us hugely. I'm guessing only from your post, but you sound very stressed. Is it possible to change your focus to health or how clean you said you felt eating this way, instead of weight loss? Give it time and try and be gentle with yourself.

I would love to know what things might have positively changed that you're not considering or acknowledging. Were there any victories with sleep cycles and quality? Digestion? skin? mood? I have spent this year trying to refocus my eating around the goal of making optimal choices that improve those things instead of judging my eating quality by whether or not I'm losing or gaining weight because weight just doesn't matter if food is still controlling you and giving you anxiety.

If you can absolutely say you haven't experienced any positive benefits, I'd like to review your food logs and also ask if you've had a physical recently to rule out any abnormalities like thyroid issues.

You say that you "love the concept and clean feeling from eating this way." THAT is a HUGE positive!!! Keep that at the forefront of your thinking. You have been feeding your body unhealthy foods and behaviors for 40 years, give or take- and you've only been eating healthy foods and practicing healthy behaviors for 27 days...make it 45...or 60. It will become your new "normal".

I also wonder the same thing as Johnny-how is your sleep? Energy? One bad day isn't a failure! I wonder if you are nervous and feeling anxiety about "ending" the whole30? All the more reason to make it a whole 45 or 60!

You've come this far. Don't give up! You deserve to feel good-always!

Thank you for all the responds. I definitely have had positive effects from this. I am sleeping better, allergies better, upset stomach better, etc. I would never discourage anyone from changing their SAD to this lifestyle. I suppose I am anxious because the BIG 30 is coming to a close, and I am afraid of the scale. Which is why I will probably just continue on to 45 or beyond. I have the intention of losing about 15 lbs as a happy side effect. I have no intentions of ending soon. We just always want instant gratification. I suppose that's what got me here in the first place.

I have a lot of weight to lose and I recently decided I am staying on Whole30 indefinitely, with 30 days on, then taking one day off, but going right back on for another 30 days. (and BTW, my "day off" will not be a license to binge. I may have a bit of good dark chocolate and/or white potatoes, or a Paleo treat made with almond flour. That's it. No junk stuff.)

So even if I don't lose a pound this first time around, I'm sticking with it. I really have no other options. There is no way I can return to starving myself to lose weight because I know that I will once again be sick and end up gaining it back, anyway. And, there is nothing else I really want to eliminate from my diet now that I am eating Paleo. So, I'm here to stay.

I don't know whether that encourages you or not, but I guess I wanted you to know you are not the only one who is concerned about losing weight. I've been struggling with it for over 25 years, so I think I understand your angst. :)

Lanee, chill. This is an ongoing lifestyle. I'm convinced this way of eating will bring results. We each define results. For me, it's just knowing I eat better. I have convinced myself that I can take all the other garbage out of the frig and pantry. I enjoy shopping and trying new meals. I understand that quality is better for me, instead of quantity. This is my third week and there has already been huge changes in my body and mind....you'll get there, enjoy the process.

Archived