replacement ideas please

Ok.  I admit it.  I'm a diet soda junky.  It's a bit like that cup of coffee in the morning.  Drinking it has more to do with the way it makes me feel, than it does the taste.  It's like a personal treat and a way of getting something besides plain old water.

So my question....Once I've consumed my water intake, what can I drink to replace it?  No coconut beverages please.  Not a big coffee person.  Hate tea.  Need bubbles and flavor. Help!  Day two withdrawl. 

I was a diet soda junkie and I've replaced it with sparking water, like LaCroix or Whole Foods Brand lemon flavor or San Pellagrino plain.  I think the San Pellagrino is my favorite and I just like the bubbles.  You could also drink the plain and squeeze lemon or lime in it. 

Kim

I agree with Amberino.  In my experience, trying to insert a sub for a craving either makes me want the "real" thing even more or just prolongs the craving.

As for a flavorful beverage, I found that I really enjoy water with herbs added.  I had no idea, but my favorite has been basil.  I also enjoy mint and ginger.  Any combo of the three is also fun.

I think the thing that worked the most for me was that these were really refreshing, but not sweet.  I was very accustomed to sweet and am now perfectly happy with plain tea and black coffee.  I wouldn't have gotten there with sweet substitutes.

Oh, and I love lime with the herbs, but I try not to make that a regular thing because my teeth tend towards the sensitive side and I'm not sure if citrus in my drinks is a great choice.

Are you sure there's no hope for tea? I used to hate both tea and coffee, and now I drink them every day (formerly 3-4 Diet Lime Cokes or Mt. Dew). There's so many different types of tea out there. Maybe you should give it another try!

I've never tried kombucha, but people here seem to like it - great for you too! Otherwise, if you're like me and kombucha is in the too hard basket, you could brew up some yummy fruit tea, or make iced tea if you want something cold.

I know how you feel.  Pre-W30, I would sometimes drink - no joke - a 12-pack of diet pop a day.  I've done very well switching to club soda with a slice of lemon or lime.  i came to realize that it was more the texture than the taste.  Still, most of the time now I would rather just have plain water :)

LaCroix at Target is good.  They come in a can and the flavors are lime or coconut (I know you said no coconut but that is one of the flavors) Also Nestle sells a flavored water that is raspberry/lime flavor. 

LaCroix actually has lots more flavors, lemon, lime, rasberry, grapefruit, a new peach/pear option.  We get free soda at work but they have started stocking LaCroix too for people that don't drink soda.

The LaCroix drinks are so good, coconut and the grapefruit are my faves. Also, look at TrueLemon.com, they sell these packets of fruit flavors to put in your water or cook with - citrus flavors, lime, orange, lemon, grapefruit - all natural. These are the ingredients:  [citric acid, lime oil, lime juice, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)], Organic evaporated cane juice. ((for the lime)) They are not sweet, so it literally tastes like you just squeezed juice from the fruit into your water.

http://truelemon.com/true-lime

Awesome! Will give the website a spin.

@Amber, I hear your words of caution about "replacing" soda. I'm not trying to replace the soda per se'. I'm trying to find options besides water to keep it interesting. Soda is a "treat" for lack of better word. So is a coffee from Starbucks. If I remove them, hopefully pretty permanently since they are simply junk, I need to work to find alternatives that fill that void in a healthy way. I appreciate the caution none the less.

Many thanks all.

LaCroix at Target is good.  They come in a can and the flavors are lime or coconut (I know you said no coconut but that is one of the flavors) Also Nestle sells a flavored water that is raspberry/lime flavor. 

Nestle water has sweetener...so it's a no go.

Beware the TrueLemon range if you're buying online - some of their products contain cane juice, some don't and the packaging is weird and confusing. What appears to be the same product in a different size can actually have different ingredients, so you can accidentally buy a sugared version when you were trying to avoid it.

If you want to reduce your flavoured soda water by volume, just alternate with plain, or mix it half and half :)

I like the bubbles too.

Australia has Mount Franklin mineral water in Berry, Lime and Lemon.

Thanks... I wish I would've seen this post earlier! :( I'm having to restart because I used about 4-5 packets of these this week... also, some of the boxes I have contain SOY... their current production does not.

If I've learned anything while eating this way, it's that you have to read the labels every time.  I've run into compliant/non-compliant versions of all sorts of things.  Sorry about the cane juice.  I guess a lot of people miss the fact that cane juice is the liquid from sugar cane.  As far as I know, no part of the sugar cane plant would be compliant.

Archived