butternut squash

busymommy

Yes salt. anywhere from 350 - 400 degrees. don't know how long, maybe a half hour. keep and eye on it and stir it a few times.

what does the texture turn out like?  I hae a hard time with slimy or squish stuff.  does it get crispy by chance?  kinda doubt it but like crispy :)

It can get crispy and carmelized if you keep it in long enough. Toss with olive oil, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt and pepper and roast in 400 oven. Just keep an eye on it and take it out when done to your liking. I just used some as "croutons" on a salad for dinner.

what temp and how long?  any salt or anything?

I roast at 400 degrees, and I stir it every 7-10 minutes.  I honestly have never timed it, but I think maybe 30-35 minutes.  Watch it, though, because it can go from "oh boy this is going to be great" to burnt pretty quickly!

I add sea salt when I toss it with the coconut oil.

Kambocha squash has a much richer flavor than butternut. It is absolutely divine. Tastes like sweet potato and pumpkin combined. I roast it whole then mash it with coconut butter, coconut milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper. This works with butternut also.

I've never had butternut squash until recently. My family always gravitated towards acorn squash. If you get a nice ripe one (a large orange spot on them means it's ripe) that's in season, they have a wonderful sweet, creamy flavor. We always cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and place cut-side-down in a roasting pan with a little water and roast until it's tender. Then let it cool enough to handle and scrape out the flesh. My mom likes to mash it with apple sauce and butter. I do not like putting the apple sauce in it at all and just do butter and a little salt, which helps bring out the sweetness. It's a lovely mash that I will pick over mashed potatoes any day! It's also delicious with some cinnamon it it.

With butternut, I just cube, microwave for like 5 minutes and add coconut oil and cinnamon.

My new favorite though is with acorn squash - halve and seed it and stick it in the oven for 45 min or so until soft, and then scoop it out and put a big spoonful of coconut milk (out of the can) on top - it's like whipped cream as it melts into the squash.   Tastes amazing.

And either one I just do with a protein and usually some raw veggies too.

Cubed and roasted. Then I eat it as a veg at one meal, throw some in chili for another meal or two, throw some in a salad for another meal or two, mash some for a side , save some for soup....I like butternut squash, so I like to have it cooked and ready to go! It's all about prepping ahead at my house. No prep = bad food choices for me! Like last night...pizza!? Good thing we aren't in the middle of a whole30, right? But I know that the zoodles with homemade bolognese sauce would have tasted ten times better-just didn't have an ounce of energy or willpower to do it....so, guess what I'm doing today? Major prep day-BEFORE I go over to school for a few hours to catch up and plan after being out sick with the flu for three days last week! Food first, everything else second!

Acorn squash are notoriously bland and impossible to tell when you have a good one, but when you do... yum!

Red Kuri, kambocha, butternut, buttercup and carnival are usually much more flavorable.  With delicata and carnival, you can actually just eat it, skin and all, if you roast it long enough.

I ate so much squash last year that I turned a wonderful tint of orange.  Palms and face.  Not sure that is a good thing, but it was interesting for sure.

I have just roasted a BNS. I cut it into four, lengthwise, and take out the seeds. Oil it and grind over some black pepper and salt. Put on baking tray in a hot oven 200C for 30 minutes until just starting to go black on the edges and feels soft but not mushy to a knife. 

These are great served as is with meat; or used as a base for soup; or cubed and used in an omelette for Meal 1. The skin can usually be eaten but it is easily peeled off if you don't want to eat it. Much easier to peel after cooking than before. 

I've never had butternut squash until recently. My family always gravitated towards acorn squash. If you get a nice ripe one (a large orange spot on them means it's ripe) that's in season, they have a wonderful sweet, creamy flavor. We always cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and place cut-side-down in a roasting pan with a little water and roast until it's tender. Then let it cool enough to handle and scrape out the flesh. My mom likes to mash it with apple sauce and butter. I do not like putting the apple sauce in it at all and just do butter and a little salt, which helps bring out the sweetness. It's a lovely mash that I will pick over mashed potatoes any day! It's also delicious with some cinnamon it it.

so that I what you do for an acorn squash right?  never tried on before.. I always get nervous about spending money on new things when I am not sure I will like them :)

Acorn squash are notoriously bland and impossible to tell when you have a good one, but when you do... yum!

Red Kuri, kambocha, butternut, buttercup and carnival are usually much more flavorable.  With delicata and carnival, you can actually just eat it, skin and all, if you roast it long enough.

I ate so much squash last year that I turned a wonderful tint of orange.  Palms and face.  Not sure that is a good thing, but it was interesting for sure.

I have never seen red kuri, kambocha, buttercup or carnival before. hmmm...wonder if we just don't have them around here or where I can find them.

I have never seen red kuri, kambocha, buttercup or carnival before. hmmm...wonder if we just don't have them around here or where I can find them.

I guess I do not know where you live, but these are very typical fall/winter squash varieties.  If you go to your biggest, nicest grocery store and look for the huge pile of squash you should be able to find more than just the basic acorn or butternut.  Ask your grocer!

If you have a health food store or food co-op, I guarantee they will have a variety.

post-24563-0-07235300-1383508899_thumb.j

Archived