Dfroehlich

I am in between whole30s right now, but do not want to go completely off road during our family Christmas celebration. I am planning a veggie tray, but wondered if any of you had suggestions for some more festive offerings? My mom has the meatballs covered, but all of her other munchies will be off limits by whole30 standards. What do you suggest?

What about dates wrapped in bacon? I came across that in another post and my mouth started watering! :)

What is your favorite devilled eggs recipe? I found on Pinterest that used avocado instead of mayo. That would definitely make a different taste, but might be easier to keep whole30 if one didn't have enough time to whip up a batch of homemade mayo.

Has anybody tried the Well Fed Bora Bora Fireballs? Those might be just the ticket...

Dates wrapped in bacon are yummy too. Be sure you use pitted dates. Note that they will be more of a sugar bomb vs. scallops in bacon.

Do you have a stick blender? If so, it takes minutes to whip up a batch of homemade mayo. Just need it to chill at least an hour before use.

I never bring mayo ingredients to room temp before making mayo; and I never refrigerate the newly made mayo before eating it.  :ph34r:  I have no patience.  I whiz the stuff up as fast as I can and eat up immediately.  (I use an immersion blender.  From ingredients in fridge to mayo in tummy it takes five minutes, max.  :lol: )

A Paleo friend served bacon-wrapped chicken livers at Thanksgiving.  She said she left the chicken livers partially frozen, because otherwise they would cook down to mush before the bacon cooked through in the oven.  They were to die for.  :wub:

Sometimes it's good to rethink holiday traditions.

Celebration/holiday food is traditionally:

* expensive / rare

* seasonal

* fiddly or time consuming to prepare

* only made in bulk (eg. whole animal on a spit roast)

* messy to prepare

Nibble ideas:

Kale chips

Plantain chips

Carrot chips

Potato chips

Beet chips

Olives :)

Pate or Livers

Crispy pork belly cubes

Fancy guacamole

Fancy stuffed eggs

My way of dealing to the snack attacks over Christmas is to make sure I have 3 HUGE meals a day and then I'm not tempted to snack.

Truly, I eat half as much again as normal in my meals. I'm so stuffed with good food!

The other suggestion is to make sure that, weather allowing, you're out and about and keeping busy between meals.

Hope Christmas went well. Praxisproject has some delicious suggestions.  :)

Wonderful suggestions! Thanks all! Christmas did go well; DH and I put together a veggie tray and the two of us ate most of it ourselves. We are at the in-laws this weekend now. So far, so good. But I'll have to be careful later when the wine starts flowing...

Archived