January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

One thing that I'm having a big problem with ... I just can't stomach the veggies in the morning. I made a frittata with spinach, onions, and ground beef, and I had to choke the thing down yesterday morning. I just CANNOT do roughage in the morning. This morning, I scrambled 3 eggs with coconut milk and used a little ghee in the pan. I ate the eggs with a few cucumber slices. My question would be: how detrimental would it be for me to not eat the full cup of veggies in the morning? I've got the protein and fat totally down, and I'm foregoing fruit in the morning, but I'm really struggling with getting in the veggies.

Find a way to get at least 1 cup of veggies in at each meal. It's that important. For breakfast, experiment with different veggies, on their own or mixed in with frittatas, meatloaf, chili, soup, whatever. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just have to say that I'm giggling at the cold weather comments/issues. I teach in South Carolina, and we had a delay today because it was too cold (17 degrees) to start the school day. My kids don't know how warm they are!!

Scooped some homemade salsa over scrambled eggs this morning with some asparagus on the side and the ground meat/apple/nutmeg bowl everyone has been raving about..best breakfast ever!!!

I added sweet potato to my sausage egg greens this morning for a little extra, it was really good! and happy to say I am not starving yet, but am eyeing the kiwi on my desk...

I even made it out of bed early enough to go to the gym this morning, with sub-artic temps in Philly as well!

Good start to Day 2- I am anxious to get my new coffee grinder and immersion blender from Amazon so I can make this coconut milk coffee taste better in the morning!

Find a way to get at least 1 cup of veggies in at each meal. It's that important. For breakfast, experiment with different veggies, on their own or mixed in with frittatas, meatloaf, chili, soup, whatever. 

I agree with Chris. It really is important. One thing I have enjoyed in the winter is to make a big batch of a creamed vegetable soup and eat that with eggs for breakfast. Bonus if it is made with homemade bone broth. This is one I've really enjoyed especially with a little compliant bacon sprinkled over the top: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/10/17/creamy-leek-soup-dairy-free/

Day 2 starts with the exciting question: Is it the hangover or am I getting legitimately sick!?!  The headache hath arrived and brought it's good friend waves of nausea along.  I might have to start killing all the things early, feeling like this is not awesome for the attitude today.

Asparagus and lamb chop for breakfast, wasn't easy convincing the body to eat anything (but at least it wasn't an egg).

Day 2 starts with the exciting question: Is it the hangover or am I getting legitimately sick!?!  The headache hath arrived and brought it's good friend waves of nausea along.  I might have to start killing all the things early, feeling like this is not awesome for the attitude today.

Asparagus and lamb chop for breakfast, wasn't easy convincing the body to eat anything (but at least it wasn't an egg).

Totally not Whole 30 experience talking, but if you're cutting out a ton of caffeine (sodas -- even diet, extra cups of coffee, etc) then the headaches will probably be pretty instant. I cut out sodas about three years ago and literally had to miss two days of work because my caffeine headaches got that bad.

If caffeine isn't the issue, then I'm no help!

@nlprice, thanks!  I'm trying NOT to cut out too much caffeine right away for just that reason (I think Robert2014 has a post in here somewhere noting that we have enough to do without getting too crazy).  I have a large cup of coffee and occasional 1 diet soda a day habit, that I'm trying to backfill with green tea, iced tea, and abysmal black coffee.  I've also been having headaches leading up to the Whole 30, so it may just be another of those.  

Powering through...finding the silver lining:  Nausea this am at least made the recently refilled office candy bowl look ENTIRELY unappealing; I am fortunate that I just gave 2 weeks at work so instead of stressful commitments I have things being taken off my plate (making more room for veggies!!!  ok, I'm clearly losing it); and at least I'm not joining the roommate on her 3 day potato cleanse.

Whether it is the hangover or a bug, either shall soon pass.   :unsure:  Stay the course.  Whether it is the hangover or a bug or both, the best course is to eat real food and drink buckets of water.  I hope you feel better soon!  

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Day 1 done- went well. I do have a headache & some sinus issues today. Hoping eliminating the dairy will clear up the morning stuffy nose. Did not get in a workout yesterday but increased time today. Had yummy cauliflower- cilantro lime rice with grilled chicken.today doing some roasted veggies with Spice Hunter seasoning.

So good to see other comments & know other people are going through this at the same time. Have a good one J6'ers!!!

I agree with Chris. It really is important. One thing I have enjoyed in the winter is to make a big batch of a creamed vegetable soup and eat that with eggs for breakfast. Bonus if it is made with homemade bone broth. This is one I've really enjoyed especially with a little compliant bacon sprinkled over the top: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/10/17/creamy-leek-soup-dairy-free/

this soup sounds good! So.. does this count as 1 cup of vegetables in the am? or any other time? I would think wbout having this as a side for lunch/dinner

One thing I have enjoyed in the winter is to make a big batch of a creamed vegetable soup and eat that with eggs for breakfast. Bonus if it is made with homemade bone broth. This is one I've really enjoyed especially with a little compliant bacon sprinkled over the top: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/10/17/creamy-leek-soup-dairy-free/

Sounds great and perfect for a cold morning! I'm gonna have to try it out.

Day 2 and I was feeling fine till about 10:30 this morning. Slight nagging headache and drained of energy. Not hungry, just bleh. Got some Chai Spice tea to hopefully help me out.

Day 1 in the books and well into day 2. I overcame the donuts, ice cream sandwiches, cookies, and other junk yesterday. Had a yummy dinner of pork chop, sautéed spinach and broccoli and an apple. Then this morning my eyes popped open at FIVE o'clock and I was blessed with a pounding, throbbing headache that has surfaced several times today already and it is only 11 am. Today is my long day (DD has dance and gymnastics after school) so I won't get home until after 7. Something tells me I will be ready for bed. Happy Tuesday everyone!

Day 2 Yay!

I woke up this morning really wanting a green smoothie. I know this is discouraged in the book because of the sugars but  is there a way to make it compliant? I was thinking:

I/2 kale

1/8 mango

1/8 strawberries

1/4 coconut milk

sprinkle of hemp seeds

Does the coconut milk count as a protein source

Day 2 Yay!

I woke up this morning really wanting a green smoothie. I know this is discouraged in the book because of the sugars but  is there a way to make it compliant? I was thinking:

I/2 kale

1/8 mango

1/8 strawberries

1/4 coconut milk

sprinkle of hemp seeds

I dont think coconut milk has much protein - it is more of a fat source. I like to put avocado into smoothies, too. but maybe stay away during a W30...

I am super worried to jinx it, but I am not experiencing anything other than feeling tired. I tried the coconut coffee this morning and hated it. So I am going to look for some teas tonight. But yeah, no headache, nothing. I am just super tired!! Maybe that's my hangover?

So far I have had:

Meal 1: leftover stir fry from last night and a prosciutto wrapped frittata

Meal 2: beef-stuffed yellow pepper and cauli-mash

Also, I have a question--is sucralose a sugar? I saw it as an ingredient in something and I wasn't sure if that was a sweetener or not. I didn't eat the almonds in the package

this soup sounds good! So.. does this count as 1 cup of vegetables in the am? or any other time? I would think wbout having this as a side for lunch/dinner

I usually have this, some eggs, and 1/4 cup of raw sauerkraut. But yes I think a nice size bowl would constitute at least a cup of vegetables.

Also, I have a question--is sucralose a sugar? I saw it as an ingredient in something and I wasn't sure if that was a sweetener or not. I didn't eat the almonds in the package

I believe sucralose is an artificial sweetener.  Carefully back away from the package of almonds.   ;)

Day 2 Yay!

I/2 kale

1/8 mango

1/8 strawberries

1/4 coconut milk

sprinkle of hemp seeds

Smoothies are discouraged because of the sugar but also because we want you to chew your food rather than drink it. Coconut milk is a fat not a protein. If you want to do smoothies after your Whole30 go for it, but for now try to be mindful about eating whole foods.

Take that kale (and more) and saute it in ghee and add sea salt. Cook it down than add 3 eggs to the pan and scramble it all up. Add some compliant bacon or 1/2 an avocado and another veggie (carrot sticks or raw sauerkraut or watever) and you have an excellent breakfast. 

I think I might have hit the 'Kill All Things' phase early........this morning as my husband was crunching on his bagel at the breakfast table I wanted to strangle him.   :angry:   I've never before paid attention to what he was eating let alone fixate on his chewing!!

Later this morning I drug myself out to play some tennis (I live in CA so we're not experiencing the deep freeze some of you others are -- sorry).  Well first off playing tennis with a headache sucks and second playing tennis with lead legs and the feeling you barely have enough strength to hit the ball sucks.  So other than getting some fresh air not a totally satisfying experience.  Oh well, this too will pass, right?

Carry on J6er's -- Only 29 1/2 days to go!!!

Archived