January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Day 2 meals looked pretty much like day 1. (I'm a creature of habit.)

It was harder than usual to get to sleep last night even with a tylenol pm, but who knows why. I feel a little snippy and a little loopy but nothing really horrible yet. Telling myself not to get a false comfort -- it's only day 2.

Wanting to learn more about spices, oils, and teas. There's so much I don't know!

Reading y'all's posts all day really encourages me. I'm glad y'all are here.

Look forward.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need a little help or advice. This Friday I am going on an overnight ice fishing trip. We will be staying in a tent. I am not sure what I can do about food. No way to warm up my food that I have prepared for the week. No microwave. I think that there will be a grill to cook on but not sure how well that will work. So if anyone has any advice how to make it through this weekend I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I'm with you on the hot flashes!! I thought it was just me. :unsure:

Had a good day 2 but I did have a question! After dinner I was still hungry and I ended up eating another half a serve of sweet potato mash & choc chilli, plus probably 2-3 small handfuls of cashews! Followed of course by quite a bit of guilt!! Anyway...is that a deal breaker? Do I need to start over or just move on? I didn't eat anything off plan, just the quantities were off, really! Feeling a bit weird about it.

Have started this morning well with a spinach, tomato and mushroom omelette & coconut milk coffee. My hubby is loving that coffee, he wants to keep on with it after we're finished! I'm just waiting for this headache to go, and it it just me or are some of you getting hot flashes every so often and just quietly aching all over?

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent some concerns! Hope everyone has a great day :D

Hot flashes have been tormenting me, too! And I've felt drained all day. It's actually kind of a peaceful feeling. I know it won't last, and that's reassuring. I know my body is doing a lot of work, re-calibrating hormones and other chemical processes. I know that my brain is being "re-wired" (sounds scary!) as I feed it the nutrients it needs rather than the drugs (sugar) I've been giving it. There are a lot of good things going on underneath it all, so I'm content to just sit and feel. Now, that in itself is very unusual for me. In the past, I would do anything to not feel. Carbohydrates were my drug-of-choice. And I haven't even had a craving the past two days. And it's only been two days! Hope it's not a "pink cloud" affect, but I'm enjoying it while it's here.  :rolleyes:

I need a little help or advice. This Friday I am going on an overnight ice fishing trip. We will be staying in a tent. I am not sure what I can do about food. No way to warm up my food that I have prepared for the week.

Option A:  Take a bunch of cooked meat, some boiled eggs, some avocados, and a couple bags of mixed veggies (or some variation thereof) and eat it cold.  If the grill works to heat things up, great.  If not, down the hatch cold.  Rough I know.

Option B:  Buy a cheap camp stove, prep your meals in advance, and then add heat while camping.  It won't be fancy but it will give you some hot meals for a modest price.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3959027&KPID=7072590&pla=pla_7072590

Option C:  C'mon Team J6 ... any other bright ideas?

I live in australia and have never been anywhere near ice fishing ;) but if I had to rough it for a weekend I'd try and remake some stuff, maybe like these

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins

They sound fancy but they're basically just prosciutto and egg mixture baked so wouldn't take masses of prep and they'd be delicious I imagine :) (haven't made them yet, they're on my list!!)

Other than that, I think your ideas are great @robert2014. Have fun @CtPChucky :D

Very true @Lara! Be happy once my body does all that adjusting and healing! Looking forward to a few days when this feed is full of how great everyone's feeling :D

Hey everyone! I also started my second whole30 yesterday and just came across this thread! Hoping to jump in the group with you guys for some extra support. I did my first whole30 in November and ended on December 10th and after the holidays decided I need to jump back into another one to get back on track!

Woohoo! End of Day 2. My jaw literally ached as I tried to finish the gigantic bowl of veggies I had for dinner. I definitely felt my sugar cravings after post-veggie bowl though, and really REALLY craved some chocolate. After I couldn't take it any longer, I opted for an apple. I know I'm just swaping glucose for fructose, but I'm hoping that's not too bad . At least for now.

Good luck to all ! We can DO this!

I need a little help or advice. This Friday I am going on an overnight ice fishing trip. We will be staying in a tent. I am not sure what I can do about food. No way to warm up my food that I have prepared for the week. No microwave. I think that there will be a grill to cook on but not sure how well that will work. So if anyone has any advice how to make it through this weekend I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

You could bring Whole30 friendly beef or turkey jerky, cans or packs of tuna and all the veggies you can handle. Like @Robert2014 said, it might be boring, but it'll do.

Good luck!

Option A:  Take a bunch of cooked meat, some boiled eggs, some avocados, and a couple bags of mixed veggies (or some variation thereof) and eat it cold.  If the grill works to heat things up, great.  If not, down the hatch cold.  Rough I know.

Option B:  Buy a cheap camp stove, prep your meals in advance, and then add heat while camping.  It won't be fancy but it will give you some hot meals for a modest price.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3959027&KPID=7072590&pla=pla_7072590

Option C:  C'mon Team J6 ... any other bright ideas?

Those are some good ideas. The guys I am going with will be giving me a hard time, but I've got big enough shoulders and can take the ribbing. It will all be worth it.

Sooooooo... remember when I don't want to be eating as much fruit. I had a weird day with food with too hard of a workout and i am white knuckling not devouring the dried mango's in my cupboard.... 

@CpTChucky if you care for a girls point of view pre grilled chicken and salad (something I should have done today), the sweet potato salmon cakes and hard boiled eggs, jerky, dried fruit, larabars, apple & nut butter. When i'm in a pinch these things save my life and it's all super easy to keep on hand. 

Breakfast: Egg muffins, 1/4 avocado, banana

Snack: 4 pieces of dried mango, larabar

Pre-workout: Hardboiled Egg

Post-workout: 1oz pistachios & 2 pieces of dried mango

Dinner: 1 hamburger, 1 1/2 zucchini, 1/4 avocado, 1 pear

30 minutes weights, 30 minutes abs

Hi Everyone, well, it's 7.30am - Day 3 begins!

I have an awful headache & I can't eat or drink until midday - having a scan. I feel so thirsty right now :(

Love reading through all your posts! Keep up the good work! 😊

I want coconut aminos too! Unfortunately they are not available in Sweden. I can have them shipped from the US, but it is so crazy expensive that even I hesitate. And I am known to spend quite freely when it comes to food! I guess I just have to suck it up. I know a bottle will last me a loooong time, and there are so many dishes I am not making now, for the lack of soy sauce.

Day 13 for me and going strong. Keep on trucking, friends!

Need a boost of encouragement.

Day 4 here, and I'm feeling a mix of hangover and kill all the things. As a special added bonus, it's that special time of month! Let's leave it at this: I'm grateful today to science for 800 mg time-release ibuprofen.

At this point, I'm just trudging through, to make it to the weekend, when I can go hiking and get away from everyone for a while.

Today's food plan: breakfast (sweet potatoes, cauli pilaf, bora bora fireballs). lunch (leftover pulled pork salad from last night). dinner (faux pho from WF2, and I'll chop root veggies for dinner tomorrow).

Today's battle plan: Keep my head down to prevent me from biting off anyone else's.

Good luck to all you Day 3ers!

rachxc13 - Keeping the sugar dragon asleep and not waking it really helps with cravings :) Eating to the template with no snacking does too. Often the urge to snack is because our meals are not satisfying enough, they may need to be bigger or have more protein/fat/veggies :) Having a mini-meal rather than an unbalanced snack really helps you get and and stay on track if you're feeling a bit wobbly in the hungry department.

Tinytl - There are so many things non-Whole30 in chinese restaurants that it's possibly easier to list what you can have, but it's worth knowing the tricky ones too. Sugar! You may be surprised at the number of things containing sugar, especially the ones which aren't sweet. Chilli sauces, hot sauces, dipping sauces, almost all of them contain some kind of sugar. The ones that don't, well they usually contain soy and gluten. Most soy sauces contain gluten too, so you can get a double whammy. Anything without wheat usually has rice in it. The only thing I've found that's Whole30 okay is steamed greens (no sauce, no stock, no "dressing" - be firm, the stocks are often from a packet). A lot of protein is marinated in sugar.

Kelly M - there's a detailed plan of the autoimmune protocol, but if it's too daunting right now, stick to the Whole30 for your first round and see how you feel. I've got some inflammation problems and got big improvements without grain and dairy and cutting back (but not elminating completely) nightshades.

Adevo - you make like a coconut oil bulletproof coffee, it's not cream, but it's nice and fluffy :) Cold brew coffee is also worth trying, it tastes much less bitter.

mk_hammer - if you can find some duck fat, you may never miss cheese again :D

Stephanie - with 61 people on the Whole30 train in this thread, you are not the only one having trouble keeping up! lol

Bunky - I did my first Whole30 in Jan 2013 and have had a real transformation in my body composition :D more muscle mass (I had been losing it) and much less fat!

PaleoGardener - Bake some meat "muffins" in muffin cups, eat with your favourite veggies :) Bagged baby spinach is super-fast, as is reheating some roasted veggies you cooked earlier.

Hello to all!  To all the newbies....keep strong & keep up the fight!  It is SO worth sticking to the program.  If you make a mistake & eat something by accident that is not on the program, just chalk it up to experience and keep going.  I was surprised to find soy in my vitamins!  The stuff is everywhere!  I really believe that altering your taste perception by eliminating sugar creates magical changes...healthy food tastes AMAZING!  I no longer drink milk & sugar in my coffee...a permanent change from my last W30 in July.  Brew a medium roast coffee...it's less bitter & in need of other ingredients to make it drinkable.  Well, good luck to everyone!  Have a great day and remember that W30 is worth the effort.  I have never felt better in my entire life as I did around week 3 & 4!  And I can't wait to feel that way again!  (I also lost 12 pounds :)...yeah!)  Go Team J6!!!!

With regard to fueling pre & post workouts...

I work out in the morning some days, and afternoons on others. I ALWAYS have a pre-workout & post-workout snack, and then eat my meal right after. For example, if I work out in the morning (6am session), I'll have 1 hardboiled egg with 1/4-1/2 mashed avocado & some water or black coffee around 5:15/5:30am. I workout from 6-7, and then I have 2 spicy tuna cakes (Nom Nom Paleo recipe) which are a mixture of whole30-compliant canned tuna, sweet potato, eggs, and some other herbs & spices. I eat those as I'm getting ready & on my way to work. When I get to work about 45-60min later, I make my breakfast (eggs, veggies, or leftovers, etc.).  In the afternoons...it's the same deal. egg-avo & black coffee for pre-workout, workout, 2 spicy tuna cakes on the drive home, and then dinner within an hour or hour and a half. It's not meant to be a "meal"...it's just a little snack to replenish your body after your work. As Physibeth (& others?) have mentioned, a lighter workout (let's say, a moderate to brisk short walk) might not need the same replenishment. My workouts consist of lifting and a lot of "active rest" movements (for example, a ladder circuit of back squats w/ 30calories on the air dyne bike or rower in between each set of back squat reps). I never eat so much for my snack that I'm too full for my meal.

Hope that helps!

Another moderator may chime in with more. I'll openly admit the pre/post wo food was something I struggled with during my W30. The pre workout food is really important if your workout is early morning as we want you to eat something within an hour of waking. I think with a light workout it isn't as important to eat a post workout meal but the idea of the post workout is to give your body recovery food that digests quickly to aid with muscle recovery and glycogen replenishment. What I've seen suggested for a workout that is right before a meal is within 30 minutes eat starchy carbs and lean protein (no fat) and it doesn't need to be a lot just enough to help your body start recovering and then eat your regular meal maybe 30-60 minutes later. 

Is it already Day 3? We can definitely do this!

I'm so sorry so many of you are having a hard time in the morning. I'm already not a morning a person at all! I had a ton of energy this morning, but I think that's due to the fact that I CRASHED as soon as I got home yesterday, slept for 2 hours, got up to eat, and went back to bed! I'm pretty sure my blood sugar dropped or something after lunch. Vision got splotchy, started to feel nauseous and have a headache. Advanced members and moderators -- Is that a part of the hangover/detox? I didn't eat fruit with lunch yesterday, so I'm trying that today to see if it helps.

Other than that, so far, so good! Happy Day 3, J6ers!

Made it through Day 2 (& being stuck at home surrounded by little evils)...even managed to get some work done. Thankfully, the car started this morning and I'm back at the office...with my bag full of Whole30 goodies (& nothing else to tempt). Last night was a grassfed burger, sauteed mushrooms, and a big bowl of steamed cauliflower & broccoli dressed with some melted ghee & garlic powder. I probably snacked on a few more nuts than I should have, but it kept me from raiding the fritos, cheetos, bread & hersheys kisses.

This morning, I had a big bowl of roasted brussels sprouts, tomato, chorizo-spiced grassfed ground beef & a couple eggs...and some black coffee. And depending on what I'm in the mood for, I have a bowl of avocado-parsnip-cauliflower soup w/ scallops OR leftover grassfed burger & more steamed cauliflower & broccoli. Pre & Post-WO snacks also packed & ready to go. Haven't made plans for dinner, but we still have a big container of chicken "noodle" soup left...so I'll probably have that. Starting to feel the "glow" again.

It's funny, when I was "han-gry" on Monday, I gave my trainer a little more sass than I normally would...to the extent that I told him that I thought his programming for me that day "sucked". lol. I think I hurt his feelings a bit...I apologized later after finding the hangry mug, and sent him that. He got a good laugh. Anyway, I was telling him during my session that Monday was Day 1 of Round II of Whole 30...and he replied "Thank God! You were so much happier when you were eating that way...you had this "glow" about you and you were killing it in the gym!" LOL. So, for anyone wondering if you'll really see a difference...you will. I started seeing significant improvement around the 2nd week. For example, I had been suffering from daily hives (popping up randomly all over my body) for several months. Had an allergy test for food allergies...came back negative. Started Whole30, and 2 weeks in, ALL of my hives stopped. Started eating crappy during the holidays, and I've had a couple SMALL hive flare ups, but not like before. Junk builds up in your system and can affect you in a variety of ways. When my friend Stacy started having dairy again, she immediately got congested and felt like she was constantly sick. Eliminated the dairy, and back to feeling good.

Anyway...long story short...stick with it. Give yourself the full 30 days to really see how your body can improve. This will affect everyone in different ways. My friend Stacy was dealing with several gut issues. My issues were hives, lethargy & acne. We both saw improvement with our own particular issues.

So...carry on, everyone! Have a great Day 3!! :)

Archived